Photo

Did the Colecovision ever come with white controllers?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Bartsfam OFFLINE  

Bartsfam

Dragonstomper

• 758 posts

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:13 AM

Just curious. Did the Colecovision ever come packed with white controllers?
I thought all of them came standard with the black controllers, and the white ones came with the Adam.

There is one listed on Ebay, that claims to have never been used, NIB, and the controllers pictured are white.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 290528066593

Did they start packing in white controllers later after the Adam came out?

#2 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• 6,656 posts
  • Have a problem? Hire the Envious Snakes!

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:16 AM

Apparently... did you see the note about it in the auction? It came with a small piece of paper that explains it:

"THE SMALL PIECE OF PAPER IN THE PHOTO WITH THE INSTRUCTION BOOKLETS STATES "NOTICE - THE COLOR OF YOUR COLECOVISION HANDCONTROLLERS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND MAY VARY WITH THE COLOR AS SHOWN ON THE OUTER CARTON. THIS WILL IN NO WAY EFFECT THE PERFORMANCE OF YOUR COLECOVISION". THE CONTROLLERS ON MOST COLECOVISION BOXES WERE BLACK MATCHING THE SYSTEM."

#3 Bartsfam OFFLINE  

Bartsfam

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 758 posts

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:29 AM

ooops! I did not see the official Coleco reason for the different colored controllers. I thought the seller might
have been taking liberties with the explanation of the white controllers.
Once I enlarged the photo, I saw the Coleco explanation.

#4 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,122 posts

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 AM

Apparently... did you see the note about it in the auction? It came with a small piece of paper that explains it:

"THE SMALL PIECE OF PAPER IN THE PHOTO WITH THE INSTRUCTION BOOKLETS STATES "NOTICE - THE COLOR OF YOUR COLECOVISION HANDCONTROLLERS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND MAY VARY WITH THE COLOR AS SHOWN ON THE OUTER CARTON. THIS WILL IN NO WAY EFFECT THE PERFORMANCE OF YOUR COLECOVISION". THE CONTROLLERS ON MOST COLECOVISION BOXES WERE BLACK MATCHING THE SYSTEM."

That NOTICE slip looks very "unofficial" and was probably printed-up by one of a number of companies like ADAM's House/eColeco, American Design Co., Kosowsky Repairs, etc. (as well as NIAD... we had huge boxes of the beige controllers) that bought huge lots of ColecoVision and ADAM Computer stock in the big sell off circa 1985.

In the case of the beige Hand Controllers that were originally included with the Stand-Alone ADAM Computer, I recall that these were all that was available for purchase, in LARGE lots, from Coleco so by this time there would have been a lot of mixing and matching of parts to make a complete package by Coleco and also by the companies that bought stock from Coleco.

I would guess that this ColecoVision came from American Design Components.

The systems and all the including items look to be in excellent shape and probably unused except for a quick test and you'll even get a Donkey Kong cart that read it's for use with the "ColecoVision & ADAM Computer" compared to just "ColecoVision", which most people have.

#5 newcoleco OFFLINE  

newcoleco

Stargunner

• 1,324 posts
  • Always Tired

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:31 AM

This reminds me that, back in the 80s, when we asked for a controller replacement for our ColecoVision, Coleco send us back a white Coleco controller.

#6 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 7,810 posts

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:04 PM

This reminds me that, back in the 80s, when we asked for a controller replacement for our ColecoVision, Coleco send us back a white Coleco controller.

Yep, in happen to us too

Coleco of Montreal offen did that, they also made some generic boxes for game replacement (I'll try to show a pic later today)

#7 SlowCoder OFFLINE  

SlowCoder

River Patroller

• 3,686 posts

Posted Tue Feb 1, 2011 7:36 PM

That would explain the periodic auctions with the white controllers. I'd previously assumed the seller had done the mix/match.

I also would have assumed many more black controllers would have been in surplus because so many more CVs were built than ADAMs.

#8 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,122 posts

Posted Tue Feb 1, 2011 8:20 PM

That would explain the periodic auctions with the white controllers. I'd previously assumed the seller had done the mix/match.

I also would have assumed many more black controllers would have been in surplus because so many more CVs were built than ADAMs.

Some of the auctions could be from people replacing defective black controllers with what they are able to find... the beige controllers.

Actually, by 1985, the black hand controllers were in shorter supply than the beige hand controllers. I saw a lot of advertisements from the likes of American Design Components for the blacks that included the Coleco box, but what Coleco was selling off in huge lots to mail order vendors (you had to buy in large quantities) were the beige ones.

When I shut down NIAD in 1994, we must have still had 3 large boxes full of the beige controllers (probably about 150) and I wish I had stored them away to auction off on eBay now.

Getting back to American Design Components, I'm almost 100% positive that this system would have come from them, what with the notice about the beige controllers and the styrofoam packing included but no outer box.

#9 wberdan! OFFLINE  

wberdan!

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:55 PM

We got a warranty replacement model in prob 83 that came with the white controllers... those were good controllers.

#10 SlowCoder OFFLINE  

SlowCoder

River Patroller

• 3,686 posts

Posted Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:26 AM

We got a warranty replacement model in prob 83 that came with the white controllers... those were good controllers.

Other than the color, I didn't think there's any difference in the construction. Maybe I'm wrong.

#11 Yurkie OFFLINE  

Yurkie

Q*bert Champion

• 4,047 posts
  • US Distributor for NESRGB and 2600RGB

Posted Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:45 PM

There is not quality difference between the Tan and Black controllers.

#12 newcoleco OFFLINE  

newcoleco

Stargunner

• 1,324 posts
  • Always Tired

Posted Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:36 PM

Well, inside the controllers, there is a difference for the color of the board, and there is also the revision number that is not the same... for those I've checked here at least.

#13 Mark_Coleco OFFLINE  

Mark_Coleco

Chopper Commander

• 116 posts

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:01 PM

I know this thread is old but I had to comment on the original topic.

In Nov 1985/Dec 1985 kay-bee toy stores sold the CV and ADAM. When I opened up the CV box, it had white controllers and there was that label included telling me that the white controllers are nothing special other than the color not being black. This came with an H2 revision CV unit if that is important and the included instruction manual was of the last revision too.

#14 WatchVenusSpa OFFLINE  

WatchVenusSpa

Chopper Commander

• 225 posts

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:53 AM

I owned an Adam Computer for a good chunk of the 80's and early 90's and the ColecoVision part of the computer had white/cream controllers with grey buttons.

#15 rhindlethereddragon OFFLINE  

rhindlethereddragon

Moonsweeper

• 311 posts

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:27 AM

Some of the auctions could be from people replacing defective black controllers with what they are able to find... the beige controllers.

Actually, by 1985, the black hand controllers were in shorter supply than the beige hand controllers. I saw a lot of advertisements from the likes of American Design Components for the blacks that included the Coleco box, but what Coleco was selling off in huge lots to mail order vendors (you had to buy in large quantities) were the beige ones.

When I shut down NIAD in 1994, we must have still had 3 large boxes full of the beige controllers (probably about 150) and I wish I had stored them away to auction off on eBay now.

Getting back to American Design Components, I'm almost 100% positive that this system would have come from them, what with the notice about the beige controllers and the styrofoam packing included but no outer box.

What DID happen to those controllers then?

#16 Yurkie OFFLINE  

Yurkie

Q*bert Champion

• 4,047 posts
  • US Distributor for NESRGB and 2600RGB

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:18 AM

In my experience the tan controllers are not nearly as popular as the black.

Any way I have 3 sets that I got in a trade that I am refurbishing with ball knobs and straightened cords.
I normally sell controller sets for $60 + shipping. $10 for the controller and $20 for the refurbishing each.
I am going to sell these tan controllers for the refurbishing cost of $40 a set plus shipping. I will be listing these in my
marketplace thread soon, if your interested in a set you can message me.

Edited by Yurkie, Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:21 AM.

#17 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,122 posts

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:37 AM

What DID happen to those controllers then?

Took them all back to the person that started/owned NIAD along with what little we had left by this time and from there he would have sold them off or gave then away to someone in the ADAM Community. Hopefully, he didn't end up just dumping them in the garbage.

#18 Prodos8 OFFLINE  

Prodos8

River Patroller

• 2,260 posts
  • Where is John Galt?

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:03 AM

I never knew they came with the beige controllers like that. I do recall seeing the beige controllers for sale as surplus at Radio Shack in the late '80s.

#19 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,075 posts

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:23 AM

I never knew they came with the beige controllers like that. I do recall seeing the beige controllers for sale as surplus at Radio Shack in the late '80s.

Well, now we have a new project on our collective to-do list: Get some beige CV console casings made! :D

#20 pboland OFFLINE  

pboland

Stargunner

• 1,606 posts

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:10 PM

Well, now we have a new project on our collective to-do list: Get some beige CV console casings made! :D

Or one could just dye the beige controllers black. The only thing is the keypad would look a little off. Just a thought.

#21 Stephen5200 OFFLINE  

Stephen5200

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2018 2:23 PM

Well, now we have a new project on our collective to-do list: Get some beige CV console casings made! icon_mrgreen.gif

I would pay for that!

#22 The Evener OFFLINE  

The Evener

Chopper Commander

• 130 posts

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2018 5:47 PM

CollectorVision's Phoenix has a level/option to purchase a unit in the ADAM colour scheme - sounds cool

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users