IGNORED

A brand new old gaming magazine site

I thought I give a new kid on the block when it comes to old gaming magazines a quick plug

Old Game Mags

They may not have a lot, but they do have a very liberal policy when it comes to submissions

Ask them if they are interested in working with emuparadice, they seem to have a good mix of uk/euro and american computer and console gaming magazines as well (including quite a lot of retro gamer magazine scans)

they list them for download in their magazines and comics section

http://www.emuparadise.org/magazine-comic-guide-scans/

Edited by carmel_andrews

• 2 weeks later...

I am the owner of Old Game Mags and some you will probably recognise me from my contributions to magazine preservation over at Retromags and OoPA

I am a long time Amiga and Atari ST fan (I still have an Amiga, 4 ST/STE's and a Mega ST as well) and I have a lot of magazines for both systems which I will be scanning and making available at my site over the coming months. Being Atari oriented over here you might want to check out my recent releases ...

Atari ST User 097

ST Action 068

ST Review 011

Page 6 Issue 05

.... and tomorrow ST Format 045 will be uploaded and made available. For those interested in the quality I am destroying the mags (debinding them) and creating 1920 horiszontal resolution mags to get a high quality digital version so expect them to be a reasonable size download.

Anyways ... That's about it from me. Feel free to pop by and have a look around. Expect to see lots more Atari goodies appearing at regular intervals over there.

I am the owner of Old Game Mags and some you will probably recognise me from my contributions to magazine preservation over at Retromags and OoPA

I am a long time Amiga and Atari ST fan (I still have an Amiga, 4 ST/STE's and a Mega ST as well) and I have a lot of magazines for both systems which I will be scanning and making available at my site over the coming months. Being Atari oriented over here you might want to check out my recent releases ...

Atari ST User 097

ST Action 068

ST Review 011

Page 6 Issue 05

.... and tomorrow ST Format 045 will be uploaded and made available. For those interested in the quality I am destroying the mags (debinding them) and creating 1920 horiszontal resolution mags to get a high quality digital version so expect them to be a reasonable size download.

Anyways ... That's about it from me. Feel free to pop by and have a look around. Expect to see lots more Atari goodies appearing at regular intervals over there.

I'm glad to see you are doing your own solo album here. I like the fact it's in Wiki format instead of forums with 80000000 rules & governed with an iron fist. Hope it flourishes better.

I wish somebody would archive the old video game magazines. There issues here and there on the Net but no one has done a complete set of any of them.

Electronic Games

Video Games

Electronic Fun

Plus I think there were a couple of more which I forget at the moment.

Allan

@ S1500. Thanks for the comments. Yeah ...thought I'd give Mediawiki a try. It's locked down tight at present while I get the site up and running but once I sort out prmissions I hope to enable users again. At the moment no-one can delete anything over there if they go rogue :-)

@ Allan. It would be great to be able to archive everything. The problem is that some people have scanned mags at low resolutions with no cleaning up and they are pretty shoddy. And there are a lot of mags that have yet to be scanned in any form. Unfortunately the numbers of people prepared to scan are rather few in number and people who may have a complete collection of any particular 1980's mag are probably even lower in numbers.

Personally I would rather host a smaller numbers mags that are good quality than vast numbers of only so-so quality submissions. There are some exceptions of course. I am putting up Computer Gaming World for instance, as no-one seems to have them available anywhere anymore so the interests of preservation outweigh thier original 150dpi scanning in that regard.

But owners of any site have to weigh these sorts of things up when determining what to make available. Where I am flexible compared to OoPA and Retromags is that I have no issues making suitable quality scans available where they were created by someone else. As far as I am concerned if they have been released via torrents/websites freely etc then they are there to be used. Preservation is about ensuring they are available for future generations to read and enjoy. I find it rather sad when people want to apply ownership rules to a product that isn't exactly legitimate in most cases anyway.

But owners of any site have to weigh these sorts of things up when determining what to make available. Where I am flexible compared to OoPA and Retromags is that I have no issues making suitable quality scans available where they were created by someone else. As far as I am concerned if they have been released via torrents/websites freely etc then they are there to be used. Preservation is about ensuring they are available for future generations to read and enjoy. I find it rather sad when people want to apply ownership rules to a product that isn't exactly legitimate in most cases anyway.

With that liberating stance, your site has way WAY more room to grow & flourish than the other 2(I'll be blunt. heh). There was way too many politics over getting credit/kudos/warm fuzzies over scanning in old pieces of paper, which detracted from getting the magazines out to the public. Yeah, claiming ownership over ones & zeros of scanned other peoples' work. HA.

Nobody cares about membership levels, who's a moderator, what new rules that govern stupid mechanisms on websites, club affiliations, titles, etc. It's about the magazines. Heck, wonder if my old scans are still around my hard drive. Heh

I have absolutely no issues with the guys and how they want to run their sites. That's their right to do as they please. People can accept it or move on. I decided to do that but I have no issues whatsoever if either site wishes to use my personal scans over there. The whole point of preservation is making sure they aren't lost to future generations. In actuality they are thinking along similar lines .... E-Day is more than happy for me to host Retromags conetnt at OGM for instance ... but they prefer persoanlly scanned submissions. I have no issue with that. His site .. his rules. I am just taking a more liberal stance in this area. That isn't to say I want to host rubbish scans ... far from it ... but I am more interested in the preservation aspect that applying weird ownership rules.

• 8 months later...

I still have a bunch of Atari User issues I need to send your way Kiwi. Hopefully you will be able to use them, though they are in what is accepted as "low resolution", they are pretty decent and apparently the only versions available right now.

Excellent stuff!! I love anything Atari so more than happy to have them hosted on my site my friend.

Another ST Format issue is now available on the site, that being issue 67, the first incorporating Atari ST Review, and the first time in the market place where ST Format is the sole remaining Atari publication.

ST%20Format%2067.jpg

Edited by KiwiArcader