IGNORED

What do your friends say about your classic game collection?

Rev

since I started collecting, all my friends dissapeared.

who needs friends and family when you have old plastic to love you. ;) :? :sad:

Friends come and go, Game cartridges and systems are FOREVER. They are ALWAYS there for you, day or night. Cartridges are also much, much more enduring than friendships - time has shown this.

My friends generally go "I hate you, dick"

and sit at my house playing my stuff. One time I was playing FF14 and I look behind me at 3am and my friends still sitting there in a daze playing my NES.

I was like "dude dont you have work in the morning?" and he went "Im sick"

lol

only have a couple of friends that are interested at all in Retrogaming. The others generally just listen to me gloat about my scores Garage saleing or on Ebay. Usually they say I am way to obsessed with the Hobby.

From the looks of the shelves in your avatar, that's not obsessed. I have some shelves that look like that too.

My friends and family are happy I've culled quite a bit out of my collection. Reactions like "Whew, we were getting worried about you" are common :D

They are right though, I'm genuinely happier with a smaller, more manageable collection, and mine wasn't even CLOSE to some of the collections I've seen here, youtube, etc.

Had a buddy over for dinner tonight, he's been in the gaming industry for 17 years, mostly with EA, he gets it. He thinks my collection is fantastic, but in his words, "I'm one of the only people who will see this and truly understand why". He's right.

I think that's touching. But I don't know that his statement about truly understanding is necessarily correct. I think there are a bunch of us here who know that it is necessary to preserve the history, the beginnings of a HUGE industry. It's as important as any other industry to document and preserve. I understand the importance of historical preservation, to let future generations know the roots from where they came. BUT ... the purpose for which I collect is to use the equipment for its original purpose, which is gaming, i.e. having fun.

That doesn't mean that MOST people will understand. It's just not important enough to many, just like people don't care about the history of the automobile. They just care that the ones they can buy today will get them where they want to go.

Yep, I can certainly appreciate the things that people keep and collect. I had a buddy who collected all kinds of Coca Cola memoribilia. He had some amazing old pieces. Even though it didn't really interest me beyond seeing the collection that day, I can certainly understand where he's coming from.

I think most people collect something. but those people who used to collect beanie babies were truly nuts. :twisted:

When it comes to mental health or "well-adjustedness", I'd be much more concerned about someone who didn't collect anything.

I remember making a house call to one customer (when I was working as a computer tech), and every room in his house that I could see looked like a generic furniture store showroom: no tools, no workbench, no bookshelves, no drawers or boxes, no stray papers, nothing except a stereo and television. He was a bland executive working in the public school system, but from looking at his house, I had no idea what--if anything--he actually did for fun (with the possible exception of dusting, since the place was immaculate). I asked him if he had just moved in, but he said he'd been living there for ten years.

To me, drawers of junk or a stack of stuff on the floor, or even an entire room devoted to a video game collection, is just a sign that you're an interesting person.

When it comes to mental health or "well-adjustedness", I'd be much more concerned about someone who didn't collect anything.

I remember making a house call to one customer (when I was working as a computer tech), and every room in his house that I could see looked like a generic furniture store showroom: no tools, no workbench, no bookshelves, no drawers or boxes, no stray papers, nothing except a stereo and television. He was a bland executive working in the public school system, but from looking at his house, I had no idea what--if anything--he actually did for fun (with the possible exception of dusting, since the place was immaculate). I asked him if he had just moved in, but he said he'd been living there for ten years.

To me, drawers of junk or a stack of stuff on the floor, or even an entire room devoted to a video game collection, is just a sign that you're an interesting person.

Serial killer.

Serial killer.

Heh ... I can see how someone might think so from that description, but no. He was just a boring guy. The point is that, to most of the population, that's "normal", while we're the "weird" ones. I know which of the two I'd rather be. As I said, to me, a mess is a sign of an interesting person (as long as it isn't taken to extremes), or at least a sign of someone who is passionate about their interests.

Yep, I can certainly appreciate the things that people keep and collect. I had a buddy who collected all kinds of Coca Cola memoribilia. He had some amazing old pieces. Even though it didn't really interest me beyond seeing the collection that day, I can certainly understand where he's coming from.

I think most people collect something. but those people who used to collect beanie babies were truly nuts. :twisted:

My daughter is crazy for those webkinz. She's cut back lately but we have like 4 huge plastic bins of stuffed animals in the basement.