IGNORED

SNES Doom cart not working

GKC

I finally picked up Doom for the SNES and I can't get the cart to work. The first couple screens with music pop up then it will kick to a black screen and just play music where it will stay and won't do anything else. I have cleaned the contacts in the cart (and the SNES is fine, it will play all other games). There is nothing loose inside the cart. One thing I noticed is that in the opening where the contacts are there is a piece of metal on the right and on the left there is a matching indent in the plastic for a similar piece of metal but there is no piece of metal. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I finally picked up Doom for the SNES and I can't get the cart to work. The first couple screens with music pop up then it will kick to a black screen and just play music where it will stay and won't do anything else. I have cleaned the contacts in the cart (and the SNES is fine, it will play all other games). There is nothing loose inside the cart. One thing I noticed is that in the opening where the contacts are there is a piece of metal on the right and on the left there is a matching indent in the plastic for a similar piece of metal but there is no piece of metal. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

If you have a Super Gameboy, try that. Doom and the SG use extra internal hardware in the system. I have run into 2 systems that would no longer play those 2 items but would play everything else I had.

Thanks

If you have a Super Gameboy, try that. Doom and the SG use extra internal hardware in the system. I have run into 2 systems that would no longer play those 2 items but would play everything else I had.

I don't have one of those :sad: Thanks for the reply. So your thiinking that it's more likely my SNES rather than the cart? I thought it seemed wierd that it would load the first couple screens and then play all the music if there was a problem with the cart. Do you have a Doom cart for the SNES? Could you tell me if there are two pieces of metal or just one in the slot where the contacts are?

Thanks

Edited by GKC

I don't have one of those :sad: Thanks for the reply. So your thiinking that it's more likely my SNES rather than the cart? I thought it seemed wierd that it would load the first couple screens and then play all the music if there was a problem with the cart. Do you have a Doom cart for the SNES? Could you tell me if there are two pieces of metal or just one in the slot where the contacts are?

Thanks

I know what you are talking about; on the SNES Doom cart, there is only supposed to be one metal contact, even though there is an indent for two. There chip should also be the extra wide one with two slits in it.

It sounds like it could possibly be the SNES since it start giving you trouble where the level is supposed to load. Right after the title screen, without having to press buttons, it automatically starts you in episode 1 level 1.

If you know anyone else with an SNES, try the cart on their console, if it works, you need a new SNES, if not, Doom for SNES is fairly cheap.

I am sorry to hear this happened to you; the SNES port of Doom was always my favorite, the chunky graphics gave it a certain charm, the music is the best of any port, even the PC imho, and was the most accurate console port of Doom as far as the amount of enemies, levels, secrets, and use of correct textures. And I never seen the low fps or enemies facing forward as a downfall, but rather made it more challenging, and more of a satisfaction to beat. Always a great one to play in the dark by yourself.

• Like 1

There are many games that use the metal ground contact you speak of. They only have it on one side, even though the plastic has an indented area on both sides. Every one I have taken apart for cleaning (like I do with all carts I buy) has only had one metal grounding tab.

Something else you might try is polishing the contact pins on the Doom cartridge with fine grit sandpaper. Afterward, re-clean the contacts with alcohol until no black or gray residue comes off onto the cotton swab. This may well fix your problem.

I don't have one of those icon_frown.gif Thanks for the reply. So your thiinking that it's more likely my SNES rather than the cart? I thought it seemed wierd that it would load the first couple screens and then play all the music if there was a problem with the cart. Do you have a Doom cart for the SNES? Could you tell me if there are two pieces of metal or just one in the slot where the contacts are?

Thanks

the SNES port of Doom was always my favorite, the chunky graphics gave it a certain charm, the music is the best of any port, even the PC imho, and was the most accurate console port of Doom as far as the amount of enemies, levels, secrets, and use of correct textures.

BLASPHEMER!!! As far as I know, Doom is originally a PC release, not a PC port. And anything after that is a port. Sheesh! How can you say something sounds better than the original! You never heard Doom on your Sound Blaster with the volume cranked up? Yikes! icon_mrgreen.gif

I don't have one of those icon_frown.gif Thanks for the reply. So your thiinking that it's more likely my SNES rather than the cart? I thought it seemed wierd that it would load the first couple screens and then play all the music if there was a problem with the cart. Do you have a Doom cart for the SNES? Could you tell me if there are two pieces of metal or just one in the slot where the contacts are?

Thanks

the SNES port of Doom was always my favorite, the chunky graphics gave it a certain charm, the music is the best of any port, even the PC imho, and was the most accurate console port of Doom as far as the amount of enemies, levels, secrets, and use of correct textures.

BLASPHEMER!!! As far as I know, Doom is originally a PC release, not a PC port. And anything after that is a port. Sheesh! How can you say something sounds better than the original! You never heard Doom on your Sound Blaster with the volume cranked up? Yikes! icon_mrgreen.gif

Haha, I wasn't saying the PC version was a port, I was saying I liked the music better than any port, including the PC version. And though I love listening to old game music on the Sound Blaster, I still think the music on the SNES port of Doom sounds better.

Edited by jeremysart

Thanks for your help guys. I will look into getting another SNES. I want to make sure I have spares for most of my systems anyways. Is this relatively common for SNES's, or are the chances pretty good that if I got a working SNES that it would be fine?

Thanks

Thanks for your help guys. I will look into getting another SNES. I want to make sure I have spares for most of my systems anyways. Is this relatively common for SNES's, or are the chances pretty good that if I got a working SNES that it would be fine?

Thanks

I've only run into the problem twice. Spares are always good to have though.