IGNORED

ADAM Computer Game of the Week #09

NIAD

Chess Champ by Digital Express Inc. (1988)

Chess Solitaire by Roginsky Games (198x)

Modem Chess by Bonafide Systems (1993)

This week I decided to post all the relevant Chess programs that were developed for the ADAM Computer.

Chess Champ by Digital Express Inc./Soloman Swift was one of those back-breaker programs for the author as he had all kinds of problems with the computer's artificial intelligence and a number of other bugs that were found by users of the program. Chess Champ requires at least a 64K Memory Expander and includes two SmartWRITER documentation files (note that you can view these files thru Virtual ADAM without even booting the disk image... highlight the disk image in the left window pane to display the disk catalog in the right window pane and then choose the file that you want to view). Chess Champ was never updated by it's author even though it was probably one of the best selling pieces of 3rd party software ever developed.

Chess Solitaire by Roginsky Games is a nice variation on the normal chess game in that 15 all-time matches played by chessmasters are programmed into the game. You pick which game you want to play and then watch the first seven moves unfold, then it is up to you to decide what the next moves are that one of the chessmasters actaully made. Also included is a fun game of Knight's Tour where you have to move the Knight to every space on the chess board. There are built-in instructions for this great Public Domain contribution.

Modem Chess by Bonafide Systems/Chris Braymen is the ultimate chess game developed for the ADAM and don't let the name fool you, you don't need a Modem to play this game. Modem Chess actually was converted from a CP/M text based chess program called "A-Chess" and also "Sargon". This plays a very good game of chess with numerous options provided by the author and a very smart computer opponent. A SmartWRITER documentation file is provided on the disk image.

Enjoy!

post-25956-129814796765_thumb.png

post-25956-12981479765_thumb.png

post-25956-129814798271_thumb.png

post-25956-12981479919_thumb.png

post-25956-129814800316_thumb.png

post-25956-12981480085_thumb.png

post-25956-129814801507_thumb.png

post-25956-129814803528_thumb.png

post-25956-129814804347_thumb.png

post-25956-129814805235_thumb.png

post-25956-129814806058_thumb.png

post-25956-12981480685_thumb.png

post-25956-129814817174_thumb.png

post-25956-129814817916_thumb.png

post-25956-129814818727_thumb.png

post-25956-129814819544_thumb.png

post-25956-129814820501_thumb.png

post-25956-129814821339_thumb.png

3 Coleco ADAM Chess Programs.zip

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

I didn't analyzed much these chess games, but it seems to me that Modem Chess is more professional than the two others, but why there is no letters and numbers around the board? there is enough space to do so... And why Chess Champ and Chess Solitaire AREN'T done by the same guy but ARE using the same graphics (just switching the view point)? To me it means that Chess Solitaire was done after Chess Champ, so if it's really 198x, it's either 1988 or 1989, not 1987.

I didn't analyzed much these chess games, but it seems to me that Modem Chess is more professional than the two others, but why there is no letters and numbers around the board? there is enough space to do so... And why Chess Champ and Chess Solitaire AREN'T done by the same guy but ARE using the same graphics (just switching the view point)? To me it means that Chess Solitaire was done after Chess Champ, so if it's really 198x, it's either 1988 or 1989, not 1987.

As far as Modem Chess, guess that just boiled down to the programmer's preference and the fact that control is via the hand controller and not entering coordinates (even though they are displayed on the sides of the Chess board.

Chess Solitaire was released to the Public Domain/Shareware around 1989 (would have to research old newsletters) and indeed the sprite set from Chess Champ was used with the permission of the Chess Champ author.

And finally, yes, Modem Chess is the most polished of the Chess programs, is pretty fast and it too was a Public Domain offering by it's author. I still remember being shocked by the quality of it after downloading it (at 300 baud!!) from the ADAM Section on CompuServe. It's unfortunate that the complete title screen animation doesn't play out when used through an emulator.

Edited by NIAD

I've played Modem Chess over an Adamlink modem. There is space on the bottom of the screen to send messages to each other. There is also a very realistic sounding speech synthesis. The computer will say "check" and "checkmate" in a female voice. No speech synthesizer needed. The computer AI is good and it's a lot of fun to play.

Edited by ed1475

I've played Modem Chess over an Adamlink modem. There is space on the bottom of the screen to send messages to each other. There is also a very realistic sounding speech synthesis. The computer will say "check" and "checkmate" in a female voice. No speech synthesizer needed. The computer AI is good and it's a lot of fun to play.

I never had a chance to play Modem Chess against someone via Modem, but I kind of figured that the area at the botton of the screen was used for sending messages... thanks for confirming (it's probably in the instructions file but who reads those! :roll: ).

Story of chess programs and their evaluations

1974 : First Computer Chess World Championship, winner : Kaïssa (ELO 1700 : class B)

1976 : Chess Challenger 1. Fun fact : Because the AI results aren't good enough, Fidelity decided to not distribute this version worldwide.

1977 : Second Computer Chess World Championship, winner : Chess 4.6 (ELO 1900 : class A)

1979 : First chess program not dedicated to a single computer : Sargon 1 (ELO 1500 : class C)

1980 : Third Computer Chess World Championship, winner : Belle (ELO 2000 : class Expert)

1981 : Second Micro-Computer Chess World Championship : Elite Challenger & System V

1983 : Fourth Computer Chess World Championship, winner : Cray Blitz (ELO 2200 : class National Master)

1985-1990 : Mephisto dominates all the Micro-Computer Chess World Championships.

Chess Challenger in ColecoVision catalog

I remember that inside the Coleco silver catalog, Chess Challenger was mentioned as a possible chess program for the ColecoVision. Based on the specifications of the different variations of Chess Challenger, these are the possible candidates portable for the ColecoVision game system : Chess Challenger 10 (1979 : 4KB ROM : 512B RAM : ELO 1300 : class D), Chess Challenger 7 (1978 : 4KB ROM : 256B RAM : ELO 1300 : class D), Sensory Chess Challenger (1979 : 4KB ROM : 1KB RAM : ELO 1300 : class D). None of these candidates to be ported as a ColecoVision Chess Challenger game cartridge can be stronger than Modem Chess if this one is really based on Sargon engine.

Others

Fun Fact : In 1996, 2 electronic chess games made by Novag (Amber and Emerald Classic) only used 32KB ROM and 1KB RAM, and both reached the classification ELO 1900 : class A.

Modern Computer Chess : Rybka seems to be the strongest chess engine we can purchase for PC. The strongest free chess engine I've found in the Internet is named Stockfish and can be used nicely with a program named Arena (which reccently updated to version 3.0). Both Rybka and Stockfish are evaluated over ELO 3100 (out of the human chart).

Edited by newcoleco

Seeing as how I've never ever won a game of chess in my life, I cannot comment on how goos these games play.

There was a good generic chess game in CP/M that was on one of NIAD's disks back in the day. I played that one, hoping to learn how to win.

It didn't work.

Chess Challenger would be a really nice game on CV

However, I ever wondered if it could be possible, with the AI and all possibilities...

Would it be possible to fit a 32K cart? .... with today's bankswitching for sure but the real challenge would be to fit it within 32K :)

As far as I understand the situation, these Chess Challenger things was already running on Z80 CPU, and the versions I was talking about in my previous message are all possible candidates for ColecoVision game cartridges... maybe except Sensory Chess Challenger because it needs already 1KB RAM (which is the limit for the CV game system). And no need for bankswitching, they all fit no problem in a regular game cartridge. So, yeah they think wisely when considering adapting a Chess Challenger game for the ColecoVision game system.

If you can find a ROM of Chess Challenger 7 or 10, maybe a good Z80 programer can find the way to generate the listing of it to be used then in a game project for almost any Z80 cpu based computer and game system like ColecoVision, MSX, etc.

Edited by newcoleco

If you can find a ROM of Chess Challenger 7 or 10, maybe a good Z80 programer can find the way to generate the listing of it to be used then in a game project for almost any Z80 cpu based computer and game system like ColecoVision, MSX, etc.

Ok, so the question is, How possible to find a Chess Challenger 7 or 10 unit?

Do they pop up on ebay sometimes?

I would gladly buy one and dump the rom myself

Well, I don't know if you can find a Chess Challenge unit easily, but here is a link to some variants including those "compatible" with ColecoVision specs.

Some Chess Challenger (including 7 and 10)

http://www.blitzchess.fr/fr/jeuxdes7familles/fidelity/chesschallenger/index.html

Chess Challenger 7

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/chess_challenger_7.html

Chess Challenger 10

http://domino.kelio.org/Echiquiers/ccx.html

Nice scans about Computer Chess history in UK

http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/chess_computers_-_the_uk_story.html

Edited by newcoleco

2 Modem Chess issues

testing with ADAMEM

1. I don't know if it does the same for you but I can't set ADAM to play first and if I insist I'm getting video corruption instead.

2. If I set thinking up to LEVEL 6, and then I play "e2-e4", ADAM replies instantly with "e7-e5", and when I reply with "Ng1-f3", ADAM thinks forever.

Match against Chess Champ

Notice : I can't set ADAM to play first

White : Rybka v2.2, Black : Chess Champ

White	Black
Rybka	Chess Champ
1	e2-e4	c7-c5
2	Nb1-c3	e7-e6
3	Ng1-e2	Nb8-c6
4	d2-d4	a7-a6
5	d4-d5	Nc6-a5
6	Ne2-g3	b7-b6
7	Bf1-e2	Bc8-b7
8	Bc1-f4	Qd8-e7
9	Bf4-c7	Bb7-c8  better with e6xd5 to avoid the pawn move to support the bishop
10	d5-d6	Qe7-f6
11	Nc3-a4	b6-b5
12	Na4-b6	Na5-c6
13	Nb6xa8	Qf6xb2
14	Ra1-b1	b5-b4 ( better to protect Queen with Qb2-d4
15	Rb1xb2	Bc8-b7
16	Na8-b6	a6-a5
17	Qd1-d3	Nc6-e5
18	Qd3-b5	Ne5-g6 (( better with Bb7-c6 to avoid checkmate
19	Qb5xd7#

Rybka wins! 1-0

White : Stockfish v201, Black : Chess Champ

White	Black
Stockfish	Chess Champ
1	e2-e4	e7-e5
2	f2-f4	Ng8-f6
3	f4xe5	Nf6xe4
4	Ng1-f3	Nb8-c6  Bf8-e7, Ne4-g5
5	d2-d3	Ne4-c5
6	d3-d4	Nc6-a5 ( Nc5-e4
7	d4xc5	Na5-c6 :/ Bf8xc5
8	Bc1-e3	b7-b6
9	Nb1-c3	b6xc5
10	Bf1-c4	h7-h6  Bf8-e7
11	O-O	Bc8-b7 ( Qd8-e7
12	Bc4xf7+	Ke8xf7 (( leads to checkmate, better move Ke8-e7
13	Nf3-g5+	Kf7-e7 (( even faster checkmate, better Kf7-g6
14	Nc3-d5+	Ke7-e8
15	Qd1-h5+	g7-g6
16	Qh5xg6#

Stockfish wins! 1-0

Edited by newcoleco

2 Modem Chess issues

testing with ADAMEM

1. I don't know if it does the same for you but I can't set ADAM to play first and if I insist I'm getting video corruption instead.

2. If I set thinking up to LEVEL 6, and then I play "e2-e4", ADAM replies instantly with "e7-e5", and when I reply with "Ng1-f3", ADAM thinks forever.

The problem with Modem Chess seems to be emulator related, but I would have to convert the image back to an ADAM disk and test on the real deal to make sure.. It happens in ADAMem as well as MESS.

Match against Modem Chess

White : Stockfish v201, Black : Modem Chess level 3

White	Black

1	e2-e4	e7-e5
2	Nb1-c3	Nb8-c6
3	Bf1-c4	Qd8-g5
4	Ng1-f3	Qg5xg2  Qg5-h5
5	Rh1-g1	Qg2xg1 :/ Qg2-h3
6	Nf3xg1	Ng8-f6
7	Nc3-d5	Nf6xd5
8	e4xd5	Bf8-c5  Nc6-d4
9	d5xc6	d7xc6
10	Qd1-h5	O-O
11	Ng1-f3	g7-g6 ( Bc5-e7
12	Qh5-h6	Bc5-d6 (( Bc5-e7
13	Nf3-g5	Rf8-d8
14	Bc4xf7+	Kg8-h8
15	Qh6xh7#

Stockfish wins! 1-0	

Chess Challenger would be a really nice game on CV

However, I ever wondered if it could be possible, with the AI and all possibilities...

Would it be possible to fit a 32K cart? .... with today's bankswitching for sure but the real challenge would be to fit it within 32K :)

Ironic that you should ask such a question, J-F. You're the one who has the "24K + 4K RAM" cartridge PCB, which is perfect for a chess game. I'm no expert on chess algorithms, but I'm pretty sure you can fit the software in 24K, graphics and all. :)

Ironic that you should ask such a question, J-F. You're the one who has the "24K + 4K RAM" cartridge PCB, which is perfect for a chess game.

Yeah I know ;)

.... but I'm thinking of making it fit a regular 32K board :)

That may not be the best way to go, especially if you want to dump the ROM from the electronic table version and convert it into a ColecoVision game. With a standard 32K cart configuration, you'll have to make everything fit into 1K of RAM, including all in-game support variables which are not part of the original electronic game (screen management, etc.). While it's not impossible to make it all fit within 1K, you'll have an easier time programming this thing if you keep the standard 1K for in-game support variables, and a separate 2K or 4K (on the cartridge) specifically for the use of the chess algorithms.

But it's up to you. :)

EDIT: As you may remember, a while ago I was working on the graphics of a chess game myself, as you can see below... ;)

post-7743-129834062383_thumb.png

Edited by Pixelboy

With a standard 32K cart configuration, you'll have to make everything fit into 1K of RAM, including all in-game support variables which are not part of the original electronic game (screen management, etc.)

Chess Challenger 7 and 10 don't use much RAM (max 512 bytes, stack included) so it's not a real issue.

I think there is an issue with your pictures... too close to the screen border, not good while playing ColecoVision on a good old tv set like I do.

Edited by newcoleco

In the SmartWRITER READme01 and READme02 documentation file, the author goes into detail about some of the deficiences of the Chess Champ program and that he had planned to further upgrade the program.... which never happened!

In the SmartWRITER READme02 documentation file, the author states that the computer will always be "player 2 - black" and that there is no way to change this.

In the SmartWRITER READme02 documentation file, the author states that the computer will always be "player 2 - black" and that there is no way to change this.

Well, the following workaround doesn't work : Because you can setup the board the way you want, I can set the pieces in a way that even if it plays BLACK it will be WHITE moves for the match... but the first 2 moves need to be done outside, like assuming that Chess Champ starts with e2-e4, then I apply the BLACK move respond that will be considered the first WHITE move in Chess Champ and from there the game continues as normal... just that in Chess Champ colors are inverted and the board looks not normal (queen and king switched). Unfortunately, the computer promptly plays the "e2-e4" move over the one I've just set up to simulate his first white move... but instead the computer think that he's collecting 1 piece(his own piece) for no effect, so my workaround doesn't work at all.

Edited by newcoleco

• 12 years later...
On 2/21/2011 at 9:05 PM, Pixelboy said:

That may not be the best way to go, especially if you want to dump the ROM from the electronic table version and convert it into a ColecoVision game. With a standard 32K cart configuration, you'll have to make everything fit into 1K of RAM, including all in-game support variables which are not part of the original electronic game (screen management, etc.). While it's not impossible to make it all fit within 1K, you'll have an easier time programming this thing if you keep the standard 1K for in-game support variables, and a separate 2K or 4K (on the cartridge) specifically for the use of the chess algorithms.

But it's up to you. :)

EDIT: As you may remember, a while ago I was working on the graphics of a chess game myself, as you can see below... ;)

post-7743-129834062383_thumb.png

Did this game ever see the light of day? I like the 3D graphics. Just wondering if anything ever came of this. I realize I am responding to a post from more than 12 years ago but I'm just curious.

On 10/16/2023 at 12:42 AM, OrangeKryptonite said:

Did this game ever see the light of day? I like the 3D graphics. Just wondering if anything ever came of this. I realize I am responding to a post from more than 12 years ago but I'm just curious.

No, Pixelboy never released the 3D version.

CollectorVision did release Chess Challenger and it’s a standard 2D view.