IGNORED

Night into Dreams without the 3d controller?

GKC

How is Nights into Dreams for the Saturn without the 3d controller? Is it worth getting the 3d controller? Can the 3d controller be the primary controller for the Saturn or are there some games it won't work for? Just trying to see if I should pick up the controller. With the $15-$20 it usually goes for I could get another game. :thumbsup:

Should I just bite the bullet and get the controller?

Thanks

Edited by GKC

Nights controls fine without the 3D controller. All games will support the controller, but most only support the d-pad function (only specific games will utilize the analog).

I like the 3D controller. I never really used the analog for anything other than Quake (primarily because you actually run faster with the analog than you do with the d-pad in this specific case) and I did find the stick itself to be large and bulky compared to other analogs (from then to now). Regardless, I really like the controller itself and find it to be very comfortable and used it a lot.

The best I can put it is it being the precursor to the Dreamcast controller.. If you liked that controller, you will likely enjoy this one. However, I find the Saturn 3D pad to have a more comfortable shape and buttons that are larger, not to mention they feel nicer!

• Like 1

Nights controls fine without the 3D controller. All games will support the controller, but most only support the d-pad function (only specific games will utilize the analog).

I like the 3D controller. I never really used the analog for anything other than Quake (primarily because you actually run faster with the analog than you do with the d-pad in this specific case) and I did find the stick itself to be large and bulky compared to other analogs (from then to now). Regardless, I really like the controller itself and find it to be very comfortable and used it a lot.

The best I can put it is it being the precursor to the Dreamcast controller.. If you liked that controller, you will likely enjoy this one. However, I find the Saturn 3D pad to have a more comfortable shape and buttons that are larger, not to mention they feel nicer!

Thanks Austin. Well since the game I was most concerned with controls fine without it I guess I will wait to find one on the cheap instead of going out of my way to get it. I do like the Dreamcast controller but I got nothing against the standard Saturn controller either.

Thanks

You can get by without the 3D controller, but I'd highly recommend getting one when you have the chance. I don't think I've used any other controller with my Saturn since I got one - it's definitely my favorite controller for any system since the analog stick is pretty much perfect. It has been a number of years since I played NiGHTS without it, but I did feel like it made a bit of a difference.

Also, did you know that NiGHTS actually has widescreen mode? Pretty nifty if you've got a widescreen TV that has a widescreen mode for regular SDTV signals. :)

You can get by without the 3D controller, but I'd highly recommend getting one when you have the chance. I don't think I've used any other controller with my Saturn since I got one - it's definitely my favorite controller for any system since the analog stick is pretty much perfect. It has been a number of years since I played NiGHTS without it, but I did feel like it made a bit of a difference.

Also, did you know that NiGHTS actually has widescreen mode? Pretty nifty if you've got a widescreen TV that has a widescreen mode for regular SDTV signals. :)

Thanks for your post. I went ahead and picked one up for pretty cheap. I'm glad I did after reading yours and Austin's posts. :thumbsup:

Edited by GKC

The 3d controller that I ended up getting came today (before my copy of Nights into Dreams which is wierd). Anyways, are there some games that it won't work for? It worked great for Panzer Dragoon Zwei but I couldn't get it to work with Mass Destruction.

The controller itself should work with any game. The analog stick will not, however. Make sure you have the D-Pad and Analog switch set to D-Pad mode, otherwise the d-pad may not be recognized in your games.

I'm pretty sure I used the 3D pad with Mass Destruction back in the day.

The controller itself should work with any game. The analog stick will not, however. Make sure you have the D-Pad and Analog switch set to D-Pad mode, otherwise the d-pad may not be recognized in your games.

I'm pretty sure I used the 3D pad with Mass Destruction back in the day.

Thanks I didn't even think of that. I know for sure the analog was on. I Will have to try it later with the d-pad. Mass Destruction is pure gold :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

Had a hell of a time controlling this with the d-pad last night on my Saturn Style 2 controller. Though i was doing something wrong so read the manual and it says "dpad controls character"

Left and right seem to move Nights in the air but up and down were very random. I did the spin attack and flailed around the course like a confused wild animal. Any tips? Or am I just better off picking up the 3d controller?

Also, you are also supposed to "grab" enemies by pressing the dpad in their direction when you are close to them. Does this automatically kill them or are you then supposed to do something else? Or am I better off trying to just hit them with a spin attack.

Definitely not the first outing I was hoping for with this now legendary game. Control was not so good... but I'm hoping I was "doing it wrong."

Definitely not the first outing I was hoping for with this now legendary game. Control was not so good... but I'm hoping I was "doing it wrong."

Legendary.. hmm..

The control in this game is fine. I'm not sure how long you played it, you might just need to spend more time with it to get used to it. The 3D control pad won't help much unfortunately if you're having troubles with the game now. Keep practicing.

Edited by Austin

You need the 3D pad. With it, you'll stop over steering so much. Try to control Nights in circles, hitting the thrust button in spurts to get thru rings faster. You can circle around and paraloop enemies, or grab them and Nights will then do an automatic loop. Killing them. If you spin into enemies, they will eventually recover. Some enemies you will learn not to grab, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay,I'm an idiot. I thought the dreamworld was like a Mario 64 environment where I was supposed to be able to fly any direction I like. Turns out you are sort of on rails and though the game world is 3d you can only go up down left and right along a path with nights.

I think what messes me up is the fact that with the kid you can roam around in a Mario 3d like manner.

I beat the first few levels last night, very fun and visually stunning game. It controls just fine with the dpad but I think I will pick up a 3d controller just to have the nuance.

Also snagged Christmas Nights demo recently :)

Yeah, the kid parts are only for finding Nights at the beginning of the stage (it's always right in front of you) or if you run out time or something, lose Nights and transform back to a kid mid-stage. I think of all the times I have played Nights, that later scenario only happened once or twice and that was because I was goofing off, exploring every nook and cranny I could.

Edited by Austin