IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - new IDE host adapter

drac030

Has anyone done DIY enclosures yet ?

I've got 2 old dead 3.5" HDD enclosures and a dead 5.25" one.

I'm going to use one of the small ones as a temporary enclosure. Just got to get some super-glue so I can make some standoff posts to hold the PCB in place.

A permanent solution is a way off... still have to get a 2.5" HDD that works to try with it, plus there's the issue of making the switch and cartridge port reachable.

One idea I have is to put IDE Plus 2, SIO2SD, SIO2PC and my RGB->S-Video adaptor (for doing captures from VBXE) all in the one case and power it off a single power supply.

Has anyone done DIY enclosures yet ?

I've got 2 old dead 3.5" HDD enclosures and a dead 5.25" one.

I'm going to use one of the small ones as a temporary enclosure. Just got to get some super-glue so I can make some standoff posts to hold the PCB in place.

A permanent solution is a way off... still have to get a 2.5" HDD that works to try with it, plus there's the issue of making the switch and cartridge port reachable.

One idea I have is to put IDE Plus 2, SIO2SD, SIO2PC and my RGB->S-Video adaptor (for doing captures from VBXE) all in the one case and power it off a single power supply.

still working on putting mine in a 1030 case, i got the cart port done, i just need to get the cart socket wire connected to the IDE+ board, and then put the Din-8 connectors on the cart and 1030 case...

sloopy.

still working on putting mine in a 1030 case, i got the cart port done, i just need to get the cart socket wire connected to the IDE+ board, and then put the Din-8 connectors on the cart and 1030 case...

sloopy.

That poor 1030 - I spent years finding a nice one to keep safe and there you go destroying yours :sad:

sloopy.

That poor 1030 - I spent years finding a nice one to keep safe and there you go destroying yours :sad:

The Stephen 1030 Liberation Front better locate my basement quick... I have three 1030's down there and two of them are going to be case mods ;-)

I have just started playing with CF cards on my IDE+ 2.0 and have run into a strange problem.

After finding a "working" card which passes all tests and allows me to copy 700 files (8 megs) into a 256bps D1: partiton, I try to run CLX 1.8 on it and get the following error:

Sector Count: 0

Bytes/Sector: 256

Unsupported disk or sector size.

CHKDSK /XV says the VTOC is OK.

Anyone else seen this?

This error also happens on a freshly formatted partition with no files copied to it.

I guess that your partition has more than 65535 sectors. In such a case the SDX formatter cuts the number down to 65535, but CLX does not do it. I fixed it already some time ago. Please go to the SDX website ( http://spartados.com ) and fetch the toolkit ATR, there is the updated version of CLX there.

On another note - has anyone had success with the MNT.COM utility? Every time I've tried to use it it just says that it can't detect the IDE interface...

Better use FDISK to change the "R" attribute.

Edited by drac030

Hi Gary-

Yes, the dual CF adapters work well. If you haven't set yours up yet, remember that the Slave drive must be set in the bios as the actual drive number -1. So if you want D5: you must configure the slave as D4: -- at least in V.8.

But the drive issue that I mention is cabling/adapters. All 44-pin adapters that I have seen are female, so there is no apparent way to cable it to use Master + Slave devices.

The original KMK-JZ adapter was made with a 40-pin connector, so using a cable with a drive + a flash card adapter was easy. But thus far, I've not been able to find any 44-pin males, except on CF adapters and 1.8" drive adapters.

It's certainly not a huge issue, but I really like being able to back up my D1: HD in ~2 minutes instead of 20 minutes using SIO.

-Larry

Drives can usually be jumpered for Cable Select. Maybe try that.

I've got a dual CF adaptor in the mail, so I take it they work OK ?

Dual SD adaptors don't seem to exist though.

But the drive issue that I mention is cabling/adapters. All 44-pin adapters that I have seen are female, so there is no apparent way to cable it to use Master + Slave devices.

The original KMK-JZ adapter was made with a 40-pin connector, so using a cable with a drive + a flash card adapter was easy. But thus far, I've not been able to find any 44-pin males, except on CF adapters and 1.8" drive adapters.

They are available from China. In Europe some electronics distributors sell them. So I guess they are overseas available as well.

It's certainly not a huge issue, but I really like being able to back up my D1: HD in ~2 minutes instead of 20 minutes using SIO.

Uuh, 20 minutes on SIO, that's pretty fast for a full backup of a 16 or 32 mb partition. Did I miss something? HDSC from the SDX Toolkit takes a bit more ...

Currently, I use a harddrive only on the KMK/JZ IDE V 2.0 Plus. But I will switch to SD card soon, since it is easier to backup.

As long as there are no more partitions available than max. 16, an old 512MB SD card will do it :).

Edit: even on Amazon they sell those ... http://www.amazon.de/IDE-Adapter-CompactFlash-CF-Speicherkarte-Controller-44-polig/dp/B00300110A/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1311228359&sr=8-32

Edited by GoodByteXL

Thanks, but my posts said this was not for compact flash, but a real drive. I think the only way would be with cable and the necessary adapters.

My partitions are no more than 20,000 sectors. IIRC, I can do roughly 1000 sectors in 1 minute with SIO (APE) backup.

-Larry

They are available from China. In Europe some electronics distributors sell them. So I guess they are overseas available as well.

Uuh, 20 minutes on SIO, that's pretty fast for a full backup of a 16 or 32 mb partition. Did I miss something? HDSC from the SDX Toolkit takes a bit more ...

Currently, I use a harddrive only on the KMK/JZ IDE V 2.0 Plus. But I will switch to SD card soon, since it is easier to backup.

As long as there are no more partitions available than max. 16, an old 512MB SD card will do it :).

Edit: even on Amazon they sell those ... http://www.amazon.de/IDE-Adapter-CompactFlash-CF-Speicherkarte-Controller-44-polig/dp/B00300110A/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1311228359&sr=8-32

Thanks, but my posts said this was not for compact flash, but a real drive. I think the only way would be with cable and the necessary adapters.

My partitions are no more than 20,000 sectors. IIRC, I can do roughly 1000 sectors in 1 minute with SIO (APE) backup.

-Larry

How about this: http://www.cablesonline.com/44pinlapinri.html

They even seem to have cables that you can hook 2 2.5" drives to. And one that gives you one 44 pin and one 40 pin connector, starting with 44 pin. And while none of the individual items look exactly like what you want, they have a "40 pin gender changer" that will probably get you there when coupled with one of their M->F cables.

Thanks, Kurt. They do seem to have quite a few variants, so hopefully I can find one that will work.

-Larry

Edit: Yes, that 44-pin male to female looks like a very good place to start!

How about this: http://www.cablesonline.com/44pinlapinri.html

They even seem to have cables that you can hook 2 2.5" drives to. And one that gives you one 44 pin and one 40 pin connector, starting with 44 pin. And while none of the individual items look exactly like what you want, they have a "40 pin gender changer" that will probably get you there when coupled with one of their M->F cables.

Thanks, Kurt. They do seem to have quite a few variants, so hopefully I can find one that will work.

-Larry

Edit: Yes, that 44-pin male to female looks like a very good place to start!

Good. I was about to give up the search, and then found that one :)

• 2 weeks later...

Firmware corruption?

My +2 started showing a bug -- the internal SDX always indicated on the config screen as ON, regardless of the switch position or toggling the setting on the config. screen. Since this didn't show up previously, I re-flashed, and (again) it works perfectly. Still, it bothers me that the firmware can get corrupted (no failsafe).

Any insight on how corruption can take place in the flash memory?

-Larry

Update on setting up a master and slave using a real drive + compact flash:

I got my cables and connectors and set it up -- it works very well and makes backing up my HD a very simple task. It takes 01':40" to back up 13000 sectors of my half-full 20,000 sector hard drive partition.

Thanks to Bob1200xl for coming up with a simplified method that saved some parts and complexity. Here's the method to the madness:

IDE+2 female 44-pin connector <--> male to male gender changer <--> female connector of true extension cable (row pins reversed; not a "flat" cable)

Here's the cable:

http://www.cablesonline.com/644fetomaide.html

Notice the reversal of pins that works the "magic."

I clamped on 2 regular female connectors (one for master; one for slave). Connected the drive and CF adapter, and it worked! The only "sour note" was that my 1.8" Toshiba drive cannot be set as master or slave -- it is designed to be a single only. So I found a Toshiba 2.5" drive that I had previously used, and it works without color-shift) on my system (0.7 amps). If I had it to do over, I'd make the cable slightly longer (it's about 2-1/2" now), and I'd put the two clamped-on female connectors slightly closer together.

-Larry

post-8008-0-13086200-1312546441_thumb.jpg

post-8008-0-77718900-1312546463_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Update on setting up a master and slave using a real drive + compact flash:

I got my cables and connectors and set it up -- it works very well and makes backing up my HD a very simple task. It takes 01':40" to back up 13000 sectors of my half-full 20,000 sector hard drive partition.

Thanks to Bob1200xl for coming up with a simplified method that saved some parts and complexity. Here's the method to the madness:

IDE+2 female 44-pin connector <--> male to male gender changer <--> female connector of true extension cable (row pins reversed; not a "flat" cable)

Here's the cable:

http://www.cablesonline.com/644fetomaide.html

Notice the reversal of pins that works the "magic."

I clamped on 2 regular female connectors (one for master; one for slave). Connected the drive and CF adapter, and it worked! The only "sour note" was that my 1.8" Toshiba drive cannot be set as master or slave -- it is designed to be a single only. So I found a Toshiba 2.5" drive that I had previously used, and it works without color-shift) on my system (0.7 amps). If I had it to do over, I'd make the cable slightly longer (it's about 2-1/2" now), and I'd put the two clamped-on female connectors slightly closer together.

-Larry

Awesome setup!

Thanks, guys. I think that the cable can be made a little cheaper (but not necessarily better) by using a pair of the gender changers instead of the special extension cable ($$). Maybe I'll get a wild hair sometime and give it a try. I'm never satisfied... ;)

-Larry

Very nice

• 1 month later...

I'm having a much more postive experience with IDE Plus now since I plugged it into a stable machine. Instability problems on the 800XL were apparently caused by a loose connection on the VBXE. I must say the IDE Plus works beautifully on my 1200XL with PBI mod, and I haven't even bothered connecting up the extra eight cartridge signals yet. RWCRC passed with no errors.

• 3 weeks later...