IGNORED

My quest to beat Castlevania

For the past couple of days, I have been relentlessly trying to beat an old nemesis of mine, the original Castlevania (ported to GBA). I have made it all the way up to Frankenstein, but was killed at the same time that I killed him. I am determained to beat this game! The first and second worlds are easy enough, it's on the third world (Stage 7 I think) that things start to get really tough in earnest. Here are a few areas that I have great trouble with: First off, the doublebone pillars that shoot fireballs. These things are tough as hell, and I can't get past them without using the time clock. And if I fall off the platform accidentally then I lose the clock.... The second area that really does me in is the section in the fourth world (Stage 11?) where the birds drop those flea men. Those things pile up on me and get me almost every time! Sometimes I can get them with holy water, but often they just jump past it and all gang up on me. Finally, Franky and Igor, those SOBs. I got them once with the holy water (without it is impossible) only to be simultainiously killed. Any hints or tips that you guys have would be much appreciated, I'm a man on a mission!

Edited by toptenmaterial
  • Like 1

On the area with the flea men, use your judgement and whip them as they fall to the ground. You generally do not need to duck to kill them either since they bounce along the ground. That part is pretty easy actually, just take your time and don't bother with using your special weapons here.

By "Bone pillar", I'm assuming you mean the underground cave area, or do you mean the actual bone pillar enemies (two heads, shoots fireballs)?

In the Forest of the Flea Men, JUST KEEP MOVING. If you stop to whip, they swarm you, badly. Walk and whip as they fall from the talons of the birds and you will almost always take them out before they land. There is a rhythm to it.

Once you get into the dungeon, toss holy water (you will desperately want holy water when you take on Frank) at the point where the dragon's chin touches the floor. When he contacts it, it will hold him in place. Pour on the holy water and whip and he goes down fast. Repeat for each white dragon. There is a doubler/tripler in the stones behind the last one, and one of the others usually drops a doubler as well. Watch out for the knife in the candle above the alcove, you do not want to trade it for the holy water.

When you get to Frank, stand on the ledge closest to him at his eye level and rain down the holy water at his feet and whip the flea man on his back. Neither should ever be able to move and they should go down quick.

@Austin: the double stacked fireball enemies, I went back and edited to clarify

You need to time your hits on these guys. Take a look at them when they blink--That's an indication they will shoot the fireballs. How long does it take for the fireballs to come out after they flash? Keep note of that and methodically attack them in anticipation of the fireballs. The timing after they blink doesn't ever change, and they always shoot two fireballs.

*edit: Keep in mind that the majority of this game requires a methodical approach if you plan on getting very far (i.e., things like intentional timing of your hits as described above). You can run head first into sections without much thought, but that usually leads to a 50/50 chance of getting through (or getting pummeled by) the game.

Edited by Austin

@Austin: the double stacked fireball enemies, I went back and edited to clarify

Interesting perspective. I always viewed Simon's movement as slow and obsolete, something that was rectified in SoTN. Now I see that it's all about paterns. This game is a masterpiece.

You need to time your hits on these guys. Take a look at them when they blink--That's an indication they will shoot the fireballs. How long does it take for the fireballs to come out after they flash? Keep note of that and methodically attack them in anticipation of the fireballs. The timing after they blink doesn't ever change, and they always shoot two fireballs.

*edit: Keep in mind that the majority of this game requires a methodical approach if you plan on getting very far (i.e., things like intentional timing of your hits as described above). You can run head first into sections without much thought, but that usually leads to a 50/50 chance of getting through (or getting pummeled by) the game.

Not sure whom you are addressing, but yes, I do speed runs for points on Castlevania. It is one of my top 3 fav NES games. I can beat it in about 20 mins. no continues and occasionally one-life if I'm careful. LOVE this game. Holy Water is the only weapon you need after taking down Medusa in the second area.

Please keep us posted on your progress and if you need any more advice.

Also, with the Bone Pillars, you can hit the pillar and its fireball at the maximum length of your best whip upgrade, so if you are having trouble, learn the pattern like Austin said and position yourself far enough back that you can still take out the fireball if it gets one off on you before you take it down.

Not sure whom you are addressing, but yes, I do speed runs for points on Castlevania. It is one of my top 3 fav NES games. I can beat it in about 20 mins. no continues and occasionally one-life if I'm careful. LOVE this game. Holy Water is the only weapon you need after taking down Medusa in the second area.

Yep, same here! :)

I made another few attempts today and did very poorly, didn't make it past the mummies. I figured out how to get past the bone pillars without using the time clock- jumping the two fireballs, whipping three times and repeat, but got slaughtered by the last one where the medusa head is just before the mummies, just too much going on. If I keep the time clock than that's a piece of cake, but that item is useless against the mummies. I have beaten them before relatively easily by crouching down to the right of them and just whipping the shit out of them, but they piled up on me this time. Definitely beatable but I wouldn't say they were easy. If I can figure out how to negotiate my way past the final bone pillar + medusa head and keep my holy water, then I know I could just bomb the hell out of the mummies from above. But how the hell do I get past those enemies on my way to the boss fight without the clock?

I am beginning to suspect that no living human being has actually beaten a pre-SotN Castlevania, and it's all faked like the moon landing. :rolling: Damn these games are hard!!

@Blarginatorr: Castlevania DDR? You know that would be a good topic for a thread in and of itself! You may be on to something there...

Tried again and did my best so far, making it to the forth world without dying once!! I used holy water at the bone pillar + medusa head enemy duo and got to the mummies with one bar of health left, starting bombing them with holy water and the picked up the knife by mistake!! I still managed to defeat them with the whip from above. In the level 10 cave I died a few times, by cheap deaths from bats and also from poor timing. At the above ground section with the birds dropping flea men, I was doing good for a while at whipping them as they fell, but somehow lost the timing and they all ganged up on me. I met the first white dragon with one bar of health and didn't have a chance. I restarted with no whip upgrades so I couldn't wipe out the flea men.

Tried again and did my best so far, making it to the forth world without dying once!! I used holy water at the bone pillar + medusa head enemy duo and got to the mummies with one bar of health left, starting bombing them with holy water and the picked up the knife by mistake!! I still managed to defeat them with the whip from above. In the level 10 cave I died a few times, by cheap deaths from bats and also from poor timing. At the above ground section with the birds dropping flea men, I was doing good for a while at whipping them as they fell, but somehow lost the timing and they all ganged up on me. I met the first white dragon with one bar of health and didn't have a chance. I restarted with no whip upgrades so I couldn't wipe out the flea men.

You do know there is a pot roast in the lowest left block in the Mummy room, yes? very helpful if you fall into the pit and they wail on you. If you get there with the holy water, just stay above and rain down fire on them.

Ah, so I assume you havent seen this?

I couldn't watch past 5 seconds. That guy seriously needs to turn down the 'tude. Makes him look like an asshat.

Yeah, well, you shouldve watched a bit longer.

His attitude might be a bit overzealous, but that stuff in the start is just a joke.

You're making life difficult on yourself by jumping the bone pillar fireballs. Do what Stan and I suggested and attack the fireballs. Jumping over them isn't going to help you when you are against a medusa head + bone billar combination. Simply time your attacks. Practice it from a distance if you have to (let the fireballs come out and practice hitting them without harming the bone pillar). It's not difficult at all when you get the timing down.

On the mummies, if you grab the health, you will have to fight them like normal. Use the same tactic as you would on the bone pillars. When a mummy blinks, that's when he is going to shoot his projectile at you. That's when you want to attack, so you destroy the projectile at the same time.

I'm tempted to do a longplay + commentary video lon this one ater.

Interesting about the mummies blinking, I'll keep an eye out for that.

I'm tempted to do a longplay + commentary video lon this one ater.

That would be sweet! I actually have looked for an instructional video for a while on YouTube and haven't found one, so if you have the time I'd love to see that

That would be sweet! I actually have looked for an instructional video for a while on YouTube and haven't found one, so if you have the time I'd love to see that

All right, maybe I will try that tonight. I was playing it a few weeks back after a CV thread was started on NA, so it shouldn't be too difficult to do without continuing..

I'm tempted to do a "walk-throughs requested" thread.

That's not a bad idea at all. :)