IGNORED

High Score Club 9.06 - Worm War I

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Worm War I has begun. Hordes of giant worms are decending upon the city of Teriyaki! It's up to you, a master tank commander, to skillfully navigate through the ruins and blow away these destructive invaders. Be careful, many a good driver has run out of a gas and been wiggled to death under the weight of a giant worm. Lots of luck, commander!

ww1-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Worm War I
  • Released By: 20th Century Fox, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Fixed Worm Movement
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice - Faster Brake Response
  • Game Mode: Default

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday April 13th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Worm Warrior - Score 150,000 points or higher and you get 2 bonus points.

Current High Scores
  1. 1,000,000 (oyamafamily) [+11][+2]
    1,000,000 (Gorfy) [+11][+2]
    1,000,000 (Vocelli) [+11][+2]
    1,000,000 (toymailman) [+11][+2]
    1,000,000 (Scrabber15) [+11][+2]
    1,000,000 (JacobZu7zu7) [+11][+2]
    1,000,000 (Frostbite76) [+11][+2]
  2. 300,365 (classicgamer_27330) [+10][+2]
  3. 212,035 (pokeplayer984) [+9][+2]
  4. 184,760 (Amstari) [+8][+2]
  5. 152,300 (SpiceWare) [+7][+2]
  6. 124,125 (Curious Sofa) [+6]
  7. 97,050 (keilbaca) [+5]
  8. 84,875 (HatefulGravey) [+4]
  9. 79,575 (Krytol) [+3]
  10. 60,040 (roadrunner) [+2]
  11. 46,695 (zylon) [+1]
  12. 40,445 (Miss 2600) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Scrabbler15 [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 656,565 (Stephen Riesenberger)
  2. 71,065 (Greg Troutman)
  3. 30,520 (Glenn Bussell)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. JacobZu7zu7 [66]up.gif
  2. oyamafamily [64]down.gif
  3. toymailman [60]
  4. Vocelli [54]
  5. Frostbite76 [47]
  6. Deteacher [42]up.gif
  7. Gorfy [35]up.gif
  8. pis [30]down.gif
  9. SpiceWare [30]
  10. Miss 2600 [21]up.gif
  11. SeaGtGruff [20]down.gif
  12. classicgamer_27330 [20]up.gif
  13. keilbaca [17]down.gif
  14. Amstari [15]
  15. Scrabbler15 [10]
  16. roadrunner [8]up.gif
  17. HatefulGravey [6]down.gif
  18. Curious Sofa [5]up.gif
  19. zylon [4]down.gif
  20. bennybingo [4]
  21. Krytol [3]up.gif
  22. LarcenTyler [3]down.gif
  23. atariUCLA24 [3]down.gif
  24. Mister VCS [2]down.gif
  25. SpaceDice2010 [2]
  26. littleman jack [2]
  27. Wickeycolumbus [1]
  28. rmaerz [1]
  29. Cream147 [1]
  30. MIKE5200 [1]
  31. theKLT [1]
  32. DickNixonArisen [1]
  33. leematari [1]
  34. Cortat G [1]

Scoring Points in Worm War I
  • The Worms will always attack in groups. Each group begins with the appearance of one Worm on the screen, then two Worms and then three on up to six Worms at once! You earn 20 points for each Worm shot in the first attack group. The Worm point value increases AND bonus points are awarded after every group is destroyed.
  • You can also get points for blasting down obstacle Blocks. Blocks are always worth 5 points a piece.

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• To avoid being totally clobbered by hordes of Worms, pull back on the stick whenever a new group is appearing.
  • If a fuel Pagoda appears on top of a block, carefully shoot away the block, or try just to nick the Pagoda.
  • When you are refueling, you are safe from collisions. Use this to move over inconvenient Blocks.
  • The far left and right sides of the screen are safe spots, but don't hang there too long. If you don't shoot Worms, you won't bring on any Pagodas.

Scrabbler15

1. The faster that you run into the house, the more extra seconds you get . Slam into it, then hit the brakes afterwards (pull back on thie stick)
  2. Aim your shooter into the middle of the group of worms. Accidental shooter counts the same as sharpshooter.
  3. When the group of worms materializes, take a half second to see to if a house comes up, too.
  4. Shooting the house clears the screen. Try to do this when you run out of room to move side to side.
  5. After shooting the house, if another house comes up immediately, make quick work of the worms and run all out to the house to get the extra time. Shoot the blocks on either side of the house beforehand, so you have somewhere to go after soaking up the seconds in the house.
  6. When there are lots of blocks, clear a column that will allow worm shooting as they go back and forth. Keep widening the column, as possible.
  7. The house seems to come up less often at the higher level, so take advantage when the chance comes.

JacobZu7zu7

WAIT FOR THE WORMS TO "FORM" BEFORE SHOOTING... if you only hold down the fire button you will shoot precious gas stations.

When you shoot down a gas station you start the round over again, so the worms will be back in which ever group, they started in.

Be a patient driver. There is plenty of time "go slowly" (unless picking up gas) and collect as much gasoline as your tank can handle! Of course always shoot worms as fast as possible.

--Zero

looks like a fun game. I'll have to by it on ebay.

YEAH! Worm War I

This was one of my suggestions, at the end of last season :cool:

First time at the HSC.

It's pretty cool... buy it soon. No sticking to walls here ;)

The tank, moves along kinda like combat and you shoot worms and barriers in your way.

There's a timer which, by getting the gas station (and not shooting it) you get some

extra time, the key is to make little mistakes, and keep up with the timer to complete each round. With each start, you will find more and more barriers in your way,

I don't think there is "lives" in this game, the battle is to get as much score as you can with the time awarded.

Ok...

Whomever invented this game is a genius. Never played it as a kid, wish I did!

This game gets WAY fun after 30K !

Whomever suggested this game is a semi-genius.

I am not for marathon games, not much time on my hands, but this might change my mind.

Day One Vocelli: 57315

post-28484-0-24016600-1302110185_thumb.jpg

ROLLAGE IN ONE TRY!! 1,000,000+

post-24681-0-70604800-1302136585_thumb.pngBEFORE ROLLING THE SCORE

post-24681-0-23327700-1302136589_thumb.pngAFTER ROLLING THE SCORE

WOO HOOO!! I beat Twin-Galaxy World Record - 656,565 points by Stephen Riesenberger.

To become this Contest MORE EXCITING, I would like to offer a new challenge as an EXPERT PLAYER:

(EDIT) EXTREME SETTINGS: Play Game 3 with Difficulty "A" on both sides (Invisible worms, Random Worm Movement, and Slower Brake Response). For this challenge, score at least 10,000 points to become the Master Worm Warrior. If you manage this point, you will get 2 bonus points (this challenge is for all participants).

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

Edited by oyamafamily

I haven't posted any tips this season, so here goes.

Number 1 tip - The faster that you run into the house, the more extra seconds you get . Slam into it, then hit the brakes afterwards (pull back on thie stick)

2. Aim your shooter into the middle of the group of worms. Accidental shooter counts the same as sharpshooter.

3. When the group of worms materializes, take a half second to see to if a house comes up, too.

4. Shooting the house clears the screen. Try to do this when you run out of room to move side to side.

5. After shooting the house, if another house comes up immediately, make quick work of the worms and run all out to the house to get the extra time. Shoot the blocks on either side of the house beforehand, so you have somewhere to go after soaking up the seconds in the house.

6. When there are lots of blocks, clear a column that will allow worm shooting as they go back and forth. Keep widening the column, as possible.

7. The house seems to come up less often at the higher level, so take advantage when the chance comes.

I've played this one before, so I'm pretty decent at it on difficulty B. Anyways, I started a game earlier, and was groovin' quite well, until I had to quit prematurely due to a concert I planned to attend. Ended up with 225,490.

post-27900-0-41845200-1302139588_thumb.jpg

This sounds weird, but today... I was gonna ask Scrabbler if he wanted to post some tips, because he got a fine score right away...

and I told Gorfy that Oyama would roll the score...

BOTH HAVE HAPPENED TONIGHT.

<--- Free psychic reading. ;)

Always good to have a second career to fall back on. ;)

ROLLED IT OVER!!![/font].......... 1,000,000+

I can't begin to describe how badly I had to urinate by the time I ended this one.

Before & after pics..........

The only challenge to this game is holding your urine and staying awake, lol. It's alot more fun on the higher difficulty

Edited by Frostbite76
  • Like 1