IGNORED

Atari 2600 Tree Hugger Homebrew

Albert

http://www.baroquegaming.com/projects/tree...tree_hugger.htmAtari 2600 programmer Billy Eno has given us word that his next 2600 game, Tree Hugger, is well underway.Tree Hugger will be a multi-screen game with different goals for each screen. The first screen will be titled "Pave the Greenbelt", where your objective is to bulldoze trees and ponds to get up to six lanes of traffic to appear. Other screens include "Spotted Owl Hunting", "Whale Sport", and "Oil Spill". You can find more information about Tree Hugger, as well as an early demo you can download, at the freshly updated Baroque Gaming Homepage.

WOW! An ANTI-Environmental game? Not terribly PC are we? The EPA is going to be ALL OVER this game.

I like the multiple screen/game concept.

Maybe the game should be called "Destroy the Earth!" :D :D :D

From the website:

If you have any complaints about the content, please email me here.

HA! Is your mailbox full yet? :D

Should be an interesting game! :)

Tree Hugger Stan ;)

I am going to be the opposition on this one. I for one am horrified at the idea of this game. The paving roads bit doesn't bother me that much..but the spotted owl hunting and the sniper bit on whales down right pisses me off! :x Sorry Billy but I will not be purchasing this game. And I am not going to say anything more on this. I am offended by the idea and that is my opinion.

:thumbsdown:

yeah, I'm going with its meant to be fun and a video game. Now if he had a kill the earth video game and used the proceeds to fund terroism or big tobacco (what's the difference ;) ), then I wouldn't be interested in buying. But sometimes it's fun to play as the bad guy, my favorite is being a dark Jedi in Jedi Knight II, running around and choking people to death with my force powers, now try explaining that to my mom :D

Looks cool.For those that oppose this game, at least one can destroy the earth on the TV screen and not in reality.And if you really oppose it,then go find a cave to freeze in,where you would not use any natural resources at all(not for long anyway).Gaming is not reality;it's just simple fun.

I welcome the new game .. but did you read on his site that the Sniper game will be incorporated as a level into the Tree Hugger game.    Does this mean that Sniper will not be a lightgun game?   :sad:  

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I haven't completely given up on it as a light gun game. The light gun concept is cool, but to really be effective, I figured it would have to follow where you are pointing the gun. It may not be possible given the limitations of the hardware. But, I do hope to return to some sort of light gun game.

-Billy

I am going to be the opposition on this one.  I for one am horrified at the idea of this game.  The paving roads bit doesn't bother me that much..but the spotted owl hunting and the sniper bit on whales down right pisses me off! :x   Sorry Billy but I will not be purchasing this game.  And I am not going to say anything more on this.  I am offended by the idea and that is my opinion.

:thumbsdown:

I can respect your opinion. But the only reason it is funny is that the ideas are really riduculous. I am certainly not an anti-enviromentalist. I just figured it might get featured in the Austin paper when it is done, the Greenbelt is quite a touchy subject around here. Any press being good press...

-Billy

Freakin' awesome! I'll buy two to help make up for the uptight goobers who end up boycotting you. Here's a song we used to sing - for inspiration....

You don't bludgeon a seal 'cause you want a meal

No you do it 'cause you wanna hear those little suckers squeal

You hit 'em on the head and you do it just for kicks

And you poke out their eyes with you eye-pokin' sticks

I haven't completely given up on it as a light gun game.  The light gun concept is cool, but to really be effective, I figured it would have to follow where you are pointing the gun.  It may not be possible given the limitations of the hardware.   But, I do hope to return to some sort of light gun game.

-Billy

You mean follow it onscreen? I don't think I've ever seen a light gun game that did that. You might as well buy a $5 laser pointer and mount it on the light gun itself. ;)

If you meant "prevent the player from scoring big by aiming his gun at a lightbulb" like you could do with the first Odyssey game, that's trickier, but there's no reason you couldn't do the Nintendo thing of "blank the screen for one frame except a white square where the target is, sample the gun's input at the beginning of the frame and the end of the frame to make sure it's not seeing light, sample the gun while the white square is displayed and if it's seeing light, record a hit" on the 2600. You just have an alternate kernel for when the trigger's been depressed.

Rob