IGNORED

Season 2 Game 3 *Pitfall!*

Second attempt (I got 29k in my first game), with 89,772 points.

post-6067-0-05413100-1305427419_thumb.jpg

I think this is my all-time high score on real hardware -- I'm pretty sure I scored in the 60-70k range when I was a kid, on the Atari version. Other than a quick backtrack at the start to grab the treasure a few screens to the right, I didn't use any underground shortcuts whatsoever, but I'll need to use an optimized route to score much higher, I think...

We'll let's make this interesting, shall we...

My first ever clock ending game (loved it but wasn't awesome back as a kid, but could beat my father lol)

Score 101,778

Which makes the new leaderboard

Pitfall! High Scores - INTV HSC

patbb 109,913

cparsley 101,778

thegoldenband 89,772

ghsqb 85,762

roadrunner 66,855

crade 59,282

post-25689-0-64869000-1305441740_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I need a map!

I did a few tunnels and wasted time hitting brick walls. Just stayed topside for the most part.

Clearly need a map to finish. I may have got 1 or 2 more items if they where close together.

But I had only 20 seconds left and died trying to rush across the gators or crocks?

Not as redundant as I remembered. I may try again. I like this better on the emulator than with the controller!

I think pac-man , lock 'n chase and 4-tris are easier on the emulator. ( tacking the picture is easier too! )

What other games do you play on emu? That is.. NO KEYPAD or Angles to run in.

post-7434-0-42425800-1305457805_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1980gamer

Well, I did respectable (80,905) and ran out of time for I believe my first time ever. I actually found it rather easy, you just needed to concentrate. I ended up being quite conservative the last ten minutes or so as I was down to my last life after I overshot a croc and inexplicably let go of a vine early to lose my first two lives. I stayed topside the whole time, couldn't remember if by going below do you ever miss treasures up above and have to backtrack??? I may play again as I know I could improve, that said it was better than the 20K or so I imagined I'd get.

post-25458-0-59498300-1305479131_thumb.jpg

109,974. I was having a perfect run (using Pitfall Harry's route) until I carelessly hit a log right at the end, but I was at least 30 seconds short of the time I would've needed to reach the last treasure. I'll have to take more risks to have a shot at a perfect game.

post-6067-0-75806700-1305481377_thumb.jpg

Awesome score Phil, thanks for the link to the map! :thumbsup:

Awesome score Phil, thanks for the link to the map! :thumbsup:

Thanks! And yeah, you do have to do a tiny bit of backtracking, but only in a few spots. It's amazing how much you skip with some of the longer underground passages. One of the unusable ones skips 51 overworld screens!

113,917. My first-ever completed game on real hardware! Now, if I can just do this without getting friendly with any logs along the way...

post-6067-0-14142700-1305485851_thumb.jpg

NIce, congratulation.

I still need to find an extra 30 seconds to get to the last treasure.

you need 30, I need more like 70 or so... :(

Founded!

They were in the stretch between 180-117 (based on the map posted by thegoldenband)

I was hesitating in some of the shifting pits but there was sufficient time to past with a perfectly place jump.

I was also taking too long with the crocodiles. Now I jump on the first one while he's closing his jaw. This was you have time to jump over the 3.

And now the quest for the perfect game begins.

post-25394-0-82722900-1305585837_thumb.jpg

Edited by patbb
  • Like 1

I tried to use the map, worked out TERRIBLE for me lol.

So I took my own shortcuts, I marked down some good cuts (6) total, as I tested them... and started over doing 'em.

Could use two more ;)

I didn't lose any lives but the timer got me.

post-3059-0-63575600-1305682701_thumb.jpg

When does this HSC round end? And is there an easy way to jump the alligators? :ponder: I totally can't control the jumps in this version (as opposed to Atari).

I think this round ends on saturday May 21st

I think it's best to jump on the first gator while it's closing it's mouth and then quickly jump over the next 2. :)

When does this HSC round end? And is there an easy way to jump the alligators? :ponder: I totally can't control the jumps in this version (as opposed to Atari).

I think this round ends on saturday May 21st

I think it's best to jump on the first gator while it's closing it's mouth and then quickly jump over the next 2. :)

You can also do is to stand on his head, the portion on the right side...You won't get bite.

If you move from right to left go to the first alligator heads then jump to the second and third. You will land exactly at the same place on the other alligators.

Before you jump on the land you will have to take a step on its jaw.

What I do is I jump the 3 in a row. I jump on the first one just before his jaw is closing (it's closing while Harry his in the air) and jump the other 2.

Thanks! I thought about trying for an absolutely perfect run, i.e. no lives lost, but as you might imagine I'm not feeling too motivated to do that right now. I might try to pull the same thing off on the VCS version, though I have to say I've gotten used to having that second button for vine release in the Intellivision port.

Or I could just play Interstellar Overdrive:

Edited by thegoldenband

Wow,..100K+ in this game? Absolutely unbelievable! Congrats to you Pitfall pros.

This is the highest I've ever scored and the first time discovering the third treasure :!: I may give Pitfall Harry a closer look now that I sorta know where I'm going(as opposed to wandering aimlessly until I die or run out of time):

post-21471-0-11299900-1305953536_thumb.jpg