IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I had a very unexpected deal yesterday.

Recently I bought a box of 100+ PC games on eBay for $95. I've been thinning through them, grabbing the ones I think I'd like, putting other ones on eBay. I had a small stack of games that weren't worth enough to bother trying to sell on eBay, as well as a couple big box PC games I bought in the past but decided I didn't want anymore. All in all maybe $40 worth of games at eBay prices.

I'm buddies with the guys at a game shop downtown who I met at a local convention I was helping run. I hadn't seen them for a while, so I dropped in with my small box of games with the intention to trade them in for a pittance (I really just wanted to get rid of them to clear up space and didn't care what I got for them) and hang out for a bit. After hanging out for 20 minutes or so one of the employees, Carl, asked me if I was interested in a ColecoVision. When I had first met these guys six months ago he had offered it to me for $100, so I expected the same price and declined, telling him that I really like finding things in the wild. Carl then told me that he just needed to get rid of the thing because it was taking up so much space and no one other than me seemed to want it. He offered it to me for $20. No way in hell I was going to say no to that. In the end I ended up trading the box of games for the ColecoVision.

attachicon.gifDSC00119.JPG

Pretty excited. I've been looking for one of these for three years. Of course, now I have a console which takes up even more space than the games I had gotten rid of to clear out space!

Have you tested the Coleco ? Hard to find one with a working power supply or with controllers that work .

So, an embarrassment of riches this past weekend... emphasis on "embarrassment."

Things started out innocently enough, when I scored a nice batch of audio CD's from Goodwill:

post-6115-0-75999100-1407807835_thumb.jpg

Actually I already had the "sound effects" CD, but it was also a Goodwill find, so all five Star Trek CD's were bought on the cheap. I think the Spike Jones compilation was also a good get.

Then, after I arrived at the thrift store I volunteer at, more and more stuff just kept appearing for me to haul off. Ironically, very little of it was video game related, and none of that is worth bragging about. First, I volunteered to do something about these:

post-6115-0-14003600-1407808240_thumb.jpg

Then they asked if I could do something about these:

post-6115-0-30390300-1407808392_thumb.jpg

And maybe while I was at it, if I could figure out what to do with these:

post-6115-0-93285700-1407808632_thumb.jpg

Suddenly I need a bigger house!

Actually, to anyone who is interested, the cassettes, 45's and laserdiscs are up for grabs. I volunteered to handle the cassettes because they really don't sell anymore, and the store staff is tired of dealing with them. I'm going to listen and maybe hang on to a few of them, but mainly I plan on shipping them to GreenDisk, pretty much the only recycling place I've found that will take cassettes by mail. I hate seeing stuff go to a landfill if it doesn't have to. GreenDisk charges a fee, so the fewer cassettes I ship to them, the better. If you see something you like, or if you have a want list, let me know. The picture above shows only about half the haul, and more will likely appear in the future. Whatever you want, you can have for just the cost of shipping. I cannot guarantee quality, especially for cassettes made before 1985 or so, but hopefully collectors are already aware how persnickety older tapes can be.

The 45's apparently came in with a jukebox, which has since sold. Normally the store will put 45's on the floor, but there are so many here they asked if I would take a look. There is actually some nice stuff here, including an assortment of originals from the 1960s, some later rereleases of '60s songs, and curiously, a lot of DJ promo 45's from specific labels like A&M, TK and Alfa from the late '70s and early '80s. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the bulk of these. I doubt the thrift store would object if I just took them to a record shop and took whatever they offered for them. I don't think there is anything super rare or valuable here; even DJ promo singles don't command much of a premium, I've read. For the most part the records are in excellent shape, so again, if you have a want list, shoot it my way and I'll see what I can dig out of here. I'll make sure the deal is good.

As for the laserdiscs, this collection would make an excellent starter set. I'm almost tempted to keep them and rebuild a new collection around them. Almost. Really. (Stop looking at them.) Anyway, there are titles from all genres here, and discs from all eras of the technology, including a couple of Dolby Digital AC-3 releases. Laserdisc aficionados may be especially interested in these:

post-6115-0-10690300-1407810087_thumb.jpg

Over the Top with Sylvester Stallone, and Mr. Holland's Opus with Richard Dreyfuss, both unopened and in excellent shape. Over the Top is full screen with analog-only sound; Mr. Holland's Opus is widescreen with digital audio and Dolby Digital AC-3 surround sound.

post-6115-0-37238200-1407810375_thumb.jpg

Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis, widescreen DTS surround-sound edition, also unopened and in excellent shape.

Eventually I'll put the laserdiscs on eBay, but if you see something you want or are curious about, ping me!

Oh, and this was all after the previous weekend, when I brought all these critters home...

post-6115-0-94385000-1407811022_thumb.jpg post-6115-0-14128400-1407811042_thumb.jpg

Like I said, an embarrassment of riches!

Went to a old colleague of mine and got this stuff for free.

a sb 16 pnp, logitech soundman wave, a vesa local bus videocard using a cirrus logic gd5428.

Also got a iomega jaz drive with 2 1gb and 2 2gb cartridges, but i couldn't get it to work on 98 and xp.

post-5654-0-33523800-1408483943_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, good ol' Goodwill, defiling anything and everything with tape and stickers. Oh well, I bought this anyway because hey, two bucks.

post-6115-0-14318400-1408564447_thumb.jpg

The instructions are missing, and the game board is a little worse for wear, but all the pieces are here. I managed to get the tape off the top half of the box, but unfortunately it won't come off the bottom half without ripping.

Another two bucks got me this:

post-6115-0-17427300-1408564617_thumb.jpg

Now I can be a right hoopy frood!

And finally, these were priced separately so I paid a little more than I might have liked, but with everything else so cheap I figured I wouldn't complain.

post-6115-0-52865900-1408564931_thumb.jpg

The white controllers with the brown joysticks ... are those Intellivision or Colecovision?

They work on the Colecovision (which works by the way!). I haven't tried them on intellivision, not sure if these systems are interchangeable. Joystick seems to work fine, but it's really hard to hold properly in your hand. I took one of them apart to clean, and now I can't get it back together, doh!

Went to a old colleague of mine and got this stuff for free.

a sb 16 pnp, logitech soundman wave, a vesa local bus videocard using a cirrus logic gd5428.

Also got a iomega jaz drive with 2 1gb and 2 2gb cartridges, but i couldn't get it to work on 98 and xp.

Cool. The Soundman Wave is a neat oddball card, and the VLB card would be perfect for a 486 build.

• Like 1

Been to a children's fleamarket today and had a massive haul. Left behind a c64, heavily yellowed and very dirty. Since i already have a load of them i skipped it. Also left behind a 101 at keyboard. Didn't have a xt/at switch so no use for me.

what i did get look at the pictures. Most happy i'm with f19 stealth mig double pack with 3.5" disks.

post-5654-0-66063800-1408881003_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-38028300-1408881035_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-76852800-1408881055_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a good one! I found this PC at a yard sale yesterday. Quad core processor, one terabyte hard drive, four gigabytes of RAM, and the Windows 7 operating system, all for twenty bucks. It may not be cutting edge by today's standards, but it kicks the ever-loving crap out of any desktops I've had before. I had to take the massive CRT monitor that came with it, but nobody says I have to use it...

post-393-0-53261200-1408934628_thumb.png

• Like 4

Found this a couple days ago, no big find, but great finds are getting rare around here.post-7407-0-15809700-1408996817_thumb.jpg It has a plastic tab on the end of it. Tried heating it with a hair blower to remove the damn thing but the label started to tear so i left it alone

Edited by Rik
  • Like 1

I found a CD called The Maggot, by The Melvins.

It's been so slow, I think the last few times I actually found anything, it was pants (or trousers, if you're across the ocean). But I don't post when I find clothes/books because that's usually pretty boring.

GF found me the old Day of the Dead DVD the other day...I already have the new one, though. Maybe I will gift it, since it looks like the special features are about the same.

Found these a little while back post-7407-0-42014900-1409094591_thumb.jpgpost-7407-0-49741500-1409094674_thumb.jpgbut didn't have a camera to post them, so here they are. The Electric Company ones are Gate Fold box, CIB , mint cond, manual and overlays.

Edited by Rik
  • Like 1