IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Wow, I've never been able to pull the trigger on a deal that expensive. The money isn't (always) the problem either. It is the combination of the expense and the implied work required to get in there and test everything and make at least a new mental catalog of what I've got.

I did stumble across a big Atari/Intv lot at one time that was a steal at like $100. That was 2 years ago, and I'm still kind of recovering from doing the inventory on that and figuring out exactly what I want to keep. It was probably about the same number of games, but I usually stay away from lots priced in the thousands.

Wow, I've never been able to pull the trigger on a deal that expensive. The money isn't (always) the problem either. It is the combination of the expense and the implied work required to get in there and test everything and make at least a new mental catalog of what I've got.

I did stumble across a big Atari/Intv lot at one time that was a steal at like $100. That was 2 years ago, and I'm still kind of recovering from doing the inventory on that and figuring out exactly what I want to keep. It was probably about the same number of games, but I usually stay away from lots priced in the thousands.

I hear ya. I generally grab a bottle of alcohol a box of q-tips and a small container to pour the alcohol in. I then sit down grab about 6 carts at a time and swab all the connectors in an assembly line and just speed through them all. I then pop in the system and soon as I see logo screen for a few seconds, it's on to the next one. On more valuable games I will test a bit more in depth, checking saves and such but for commons a quick test is all they get.

This is one of my biggest buys actually. I normally don't spend more than $500 on lots, but the $$ is there and I figure I can flip majority real quick in huge lots for my money back and keep a bunch for myself.

• Like 1

If it's a software mod, be careful you don't let any games install updates for network play or some-such. I managed to break a modded XBox that way.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been adding to the vinyl collection. Here are the latest '80s and almost-'80s goodies.

post-6115-0-06251600-1438480237_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If it's a software mod, be careful you don't let any games install updates for network play or some-such. I managed to break a modded XBox that way.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been adding to the vinyl collection. Here are the latest '80s and almost-'80s goodies.

attachicon.gif2015-08-01.jpg

Yes correct you are. I think it is hardware modded, it has a set of 4 switches on the front.

Well the xbox works great.

post-30739-0-97591600-1438489521_thumb.png

post-30739-0-33903500-1438489565_thumb.png

post-30739-0-83764100-1438489588_thumb.png

post-30739-0-06213200-1438489613_thumb.png

The DVD drive works too. It has about 71 installed games. It did not come with any controllers but I already had a few spare lying around. It did come with the power cord and the A/V cable. Not sure why someone would give this up! The switches all work. The xbox will only run in modded mode but that's fine because it can still read traditional game discs.

• Like 4

Commie-dore 128 with 1541 disk drive. $20.

Xbox 360 with 20 gb HD. $10.

I'll pick up 360's all day $10 and under.

That's how it's been. Video games are scarce, leaving classic computers for the taking.

How is the 128 & 1541? Do they work/power supplies/all that - if so then nice find for $20!

I am now officially jealous, Grig. :)

LOL!!! I will probably unload it soon but I started playing Burnout 3 and it is addicting. I have to find out how to put more games on the HD as i have a few xbox games laying around that are not on the HD. It also has a spot for "emulators" so maybe I can load some emu's onto it before unloading it. I don't know, it's tempting to keep ...

Well the xbox works great.

attachicon.gifDSC00737.png

attachicon.gifDSC00738.png

attachicon.gifDSC00739.png

attachicon.gifDSC00740.png

The DVD drive works too. It has about 71 installed games. It did not come with any controllers but I already had a few spare lying around. It did come with the power cord and the A/V cable. Not sure why someone would give this up! The switches all work. The xbox will only run in modded mode but that's fine because it can still read traditional game discs.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet find!!! Any emulators installed? I have over 200 burned games in mine and all the console emulators on a 500 gig executer 3 chip. Modded xboxes rock! Hope you enjoy it. :)
  • Like 1

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet find!!! Any emulators installed? I have over 200 burned games in mine and all the console emulators on a 500 gig executer 3 chip. Modded xboxes rock! Hope you enjoy it. :)

This Xbox is running Xecuter 2. No emu's but I may install some. I'm still debating on dumping it or keeping it.

• Like 1

How is the 128 & 1541? Do they work/power supplies/all that - if so then nice find for $20!

Oh, yeah, forgot about that. He didn't have it out so I asked about the power brick (very important). After a while he found it in his truck!

That thing is worth about $50 alone. That "thing" also gives the Colecovision's power supply a run for it's money!

I love how the Apple //c, Commodore 128, etc all showcased their slick computers. Then, as you're about to leave ... here you'll need this mother brick too!

• Like 1

Found an Atari Flashback 4 for $2 at a garage sale Saturday - the unit, video cable, AC adapter, and one wireless joystick with no battery cover. I'm disappointed in the sound quality overall (and some games sound choppier than others), but I guess I can get rid of that Flashback 2 I've got sitting somewhere.

Found an Atari Flashback 4 for $2 at a garage sale Saturday - the unit, video cable, AC adapter, and one wireless joystick with no battery cover. I'm disappointed in the sound quality overall (and some games sound choppier than others), but I guess I can get rid of that Flashback 2 I've got sitting somewhere.

No no no no no... I'm pretty sure the FB2 is considered the best of the bunch!

• Like 1