IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Not a thrift find but online from an Amiga website/forum. This Coco version of One-on-One was the first time I played the game and loved it. I've never owned an original copy and haven't seen a real copy since they were originally sold in Radio Shack stores. Still sealed too. $20 shipped which is a very good price IMO.

post-2493-0-76298800-1439658676_thumb.jpg

I love finding stuff like this. $12 at a local pawn shop, talked them down from $19 since it was untested but it does work great. A few scratches on the screen but some are just marks that look like they'll come off. This is the Radio Shack version of Epoch's Astro Command. It's the same game. Plays like Scramble

post-2493-0-63023500-1440029642_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-66292400-1440029653_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Not a classic game but a good find:

$15 got me a Sony DAV-HDX585 with 4 of the 6 speakers (will have to check back for 2 missing "rear" speakers), the remote controller and 4 DVD discs still inside the system.

$15 for a working 5 disc player is good deal. With original remote and some of the speakers by a quality company like Sony is a steal. Hell, eBay seller wants $15 just for the remote.

Now to figure out what I can do with digital media adapter I got with this. It looks like I could plug iPod or something.

So I was out doing some yard sales today. I pulled up to this house and as I was getting out of my car this van flew up. I walked in and was looking around. They had this huge G.I. Joe Space station. The lady flew up the driveway and immediately started going all over it. So I asked the guy "it was an older couple" if they had any video games, he went to look.

Meanwhile I was eyeballing the massive G.I.Joe Space shuttle. I knew nothing about it but they wanted $100. This lady offers the lady selling it $60, she refuses. She then humps around back and forth asking her to call her son and see what he will take, what the lowest price. The lady told her to leave her name and number, she replied "oh I'm not leaving", just call him now. back and forth for like 15 minutes. I was still waiting for the video games. The guy comes up w/computer games, I passed. Meanwhile this lady wanting the G.I. Joe ask the older lady to go look for other stuff in her basement, she was very rude and demanding.

So then she tries to get the old man to sell her the shuttle for less. I was like seriously come on lady. They just told you it sells up to $500 online. This lady was very rude. I had zero interest in this but I figured why not? I finally said to the guy, "Well lets get this thing over I'll give you the $100 for it". The lady who JUST offered $60 instantly replies $120. So of course I had to w/out blinking reply $150 LOL. She got mad, sighed, and said something like geesh.

She said nothing after a few minutes I said well you going to offer more. She told me "I was talking to the other lady I want to see what she says". She then tells me "you buy video games". I replied "I buy everything". She then said "well I was here first". I said "no actually I was". She said "well I was looking at it first". I told her you were lowballing them.

The man calls for the lady to come back and tells her the offers. She says "well I think highest bidder gets it". The other lady left, very pissed off. Well maybe she will learn a lesson about being rude/greedy from this. I'm not sure if I can make much of it, I am pretty sure I can at least get my $$ back. I think I can pull $350 plus s/h out of it based on condition. I had fully expected that lady to offer $175 or so and then I was going to call it a day.

101_0136_zpsnircerve.jpg

101_0135_zpstfxmkgs3.jpg

101_0137_zpsby7tu3yw.jpg

• Like 3

Iceman you rock! Major props for putting that rude lowballer in her place. I hate it when people act all offended at your asking price even though they will gladly pay it. I also hate rude garage salers. It's one of the reasons I don't have garage sales anymore. I have no problem with someone offering me less or even low balling me. But don't go getting all rude or demanding with me. It's ok if we don't agree on price. It's not ok if you insist that I accept your opinion on the value of my item.

The kicker is during her conversation she told them she seen it in the ad and she drove out there for it. She obviously knew the value. I don't know much about this stuff. She had time to look it up and everything, I didn't care much if I was paying too much as I knew she only buying it to resell. The fact she immediately went to $120 I knew I was good lol.

Just bad timing for her is all. 15 minutes difference and I would have left w/out it. I would have came home looked it up and kicked myself for not getting it lol.

• Like 1

So I was out doing some yard sales today. I pulled up to this house and as I was getting out of my car this van flew up. I walked in and was looking around. They had this huge G.I. Joe Space station. The lady flew up the driveway and immediately started going all over it. So I asked the guy "it was an older couple" if they had any video games, he went to look.

Meanwhile I was eyeballing the massive G.I.Joe Space shuttle. I knew nothing about it but they wanted $100. This lady offers the lady selling it $60, she refuses. She then humps around back and forth asking her to call her son and see what he will take, what the lowest price. The lady told her to leave her name and number, she replied "oh I'm not leaving", just call him now. back and forth for like 15 minutes. I was still waiting for the video games. The guy comes up w/computer games, I passed. Meanwhile this lady wanting the G.I. Joe ask the older lady to go look for other stuff in her basement, she was very rude and demanding.

So then she tries to get the old man to sell her the shuttle for less. I was like seriously come on lady. They just told you it sells up to $500 online. This lady was very rude. I had zero interest in this but I figured why not? I finally said to the guy, "Well lets get this thing over I'll give you the $100 for it". The lady who JUST offered $60 instantly replies $120. So of course I had to w/out blinking reply $150 LOL. She got mad, sighed, and said something like geesh.

She said nothing after a few minutes I said well you going to offer more. She told me "I was talking to the other lady I want to see what she says". She then tells me "you buy video games". I replied "I buy everything". She then said "well I was here first". I said "no actually I was". She said "well I was looking at it first". I told her you were lowballing them.

The man calls for the lady to come back and tells her the offers. She says "well I think highest bidder gets it". The other lady left, very pissed off. Well maybe she will learn a lesson about being rude/greedy from this. I'm not sure if I can make much of it, I am pretty sure I can at least get my $$ back. I think I can pull $350 plus s/h out of it based on condition. I had fully expected that lady to offer $175 or so and then I was going to call it a day.

101_0136_zpsnircerve.jpg

101_0135_zpstfxmkgs3.jpg

101_0137_zpsby7tu3yw.jpg

That was truly epic, well done.

• Like 2

Snagged a PSP 2001 with a game, 3 UMD cases, 2GB Sony memory stick, and a carry case for only $12. Still charging it as the battery was flat dead. I checked eBay, $12 would have been OK for a PSP without anything (even wit. hout battery) but mine came with all and it seems to be working. The game it has is SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 2.

I also picked up a PSOne with AC adapter, AV cable, white DS controller and a generic memory card for $8. There was a game left inside too: Tekken 3

Original XBox controller with breakaway cable included $5

So not too bad. I did leave behind a couple black PS2 controllers, a 3rd party XBox controller, about a dozen old grey PSX controller (non-analog), white Wii (non-GC compatible) with cables and 2 wiimotes, PSX system, and a bunch of cables as they were all too expensive for me. Also passed easily 100's of PSX and PS2 games, XBox games, and a dozen DS games. Most were icky sport games and the few "good" ones were too high. I mean $20 for a loose DS game, really? If any of those interested you, check out Goodwill and Salvation Army in Oxford, MI.

Found a Liesegang Solid S projector for $3 :D Not surprising, but I think it needs a new lamp :D

Got a new lamp for it and it works :D Now I just need a screen...I was going to just get a cheap set of white bedsheets (at least temporarily), but I guess Meijer doesn't sell cheap ones @_@

Got a new lamp for it and it works :D Now I just need a screen...I was going to just get a cheap set of white bedsheets (at least temporarily), but I guess Meijer doesn't sell cheap ones @_@

FYI, you might do some reading up on screen colors. You might find that white isn't the best choice. I have a DLP projector and I built my screen using 2x4's wrapped in a black cloth and a grayish material. It's just regular material bought at Hobby Lobby but I chose it carefully because of its color and sheen. Gray screens are often used with DLP/LCD projectors because unlike CRT projectors they do not produce a true black. A slightly gray screen can help that a bit ant alo reduces hot spotting. The AVS forum has some great threads on screen color and home made screen materials.

I had great results using light blocking material from JoAnn Fabrics as screen. It's the material used for backing heavy curtains, I think.

I stopped at a resale shop on the other side of the lake today and got a pretty good deal on a $5 7800 Super Skateboardin'

I picked up a bunch of other games at similar prices, but I'd wanted this title for some time, and ebay pricing and I never seemed to agree on it.

Edited by Reaperman

101_0136_zpsnircerve.jpg

101_0135_zpstfxmkgs3.jpg

101_0137_zpsby7tu3yw.jpg

That's awesome and I recognized it immediately as I recently purchased one of these for $10, although mine is just for parts as it isn't remotely complete (missing the space shuttle and many of the minor pieces). Just selling off the pieces and parts of GI Joe stuff, you can make good $$$.

Yours looks to be in great condition, but If you're missing any pieces (wheels, etc) let me know and I actually may be able to help.

• Like 1

That's awesome and I recognized it immediately as I recently purchased one of these for $10, although mine is just for parts as it isn't remotely complete (missing the space shuttle and many of the minor pieces). Just selling off the pieces and parts of GI Joe stuff, you can make good $$$.

Yours looks to be in great condition, but If you're missing any pieces (wheels, etc) let me know and I actually may be able to help.

pm sent :)

Not a thrift store find, but an interesting stumble-upon just the same. Today I discovered the nearest 3D Games has again decided to enter the pre-NES market, which they seem to try once every couple of years. One section had some Atari 2600 and Coleco games mixed together. For the most part it was the usual suspects at the usual prices, like $4 for Combat, expected for a mall shop and just this shy of "absolutely ridiculous". However, I noticed the few relative rarities they had were actually reasonably priced, like $8 for Fast Food. I already had that one, so I passed. And then I discovered they weren't charging any differently for label variations. So I figured, "Why not?" and grabbed these.

post-6115-0-92428700-1440985561_thumb.jpg

The only two red-label re-releases that appeared in NTSC Land, not counting Gravitar. The store had them both, and I had neither. I paid about $12 after tax. Not exactly a steal, but still a nice price to add these to the collection without paying postage or driving across town.

There was a blue-label Kaboom! as well for not too terribly much, but I've decided not to collect those. They also had a red-label Gravitar, and I had to wonder... nah, surely they at least know enough to keep that one off the floor, right? Either way, the silver label wasn't there, so either one hasn't come in or maybe they really are that smart! :)

I didn't know about the red label Yars. That's pretty! Yars is one of those I have sentimental attachment to. I have my original standard label and a Sears label but I'd snag one like that if I saw it to! I've never heard of 3D games, I do t think we have one on my side of town. Is it a chain?

I didn't know about the red label Yars. That's pretty! Yars is one of those I have sentimental attachment to. I have my original standard label and a Sears label but I'd snag one like that if I saw it to! I've never heard of 3D games, I do t think we have one on my side of town. Is it a chain?

One of my exceptions!

Collect all three!

post-29575-0-64985200-1440992347_thumb.jpg

A small chain, but big enough to have two locations around Houston, Deerbrook Mall in Humble and Almeda Mall in Pasadena. Personally I like Game Over VideoGames better, both for prices and selection, but of course any store that sells old games is worth a visit now and then.

Three? Sears, Atari black label, red label right? Was there a silver label YR?

Actually there was, at least in PAL Land. Several other original black-labels have silver-label variants as well, mostly from New Zealand.

So a few weeks ago I went out to buy a nes lot, I never posted it but it was a good lot had a boxed bubble bobble, it was a complete nes w/like 10 boxed games. I offered $90 and she called me back the next day and took my offer. Anyhow while I was there she had the mini Atari arcades. I almost bought them but didn't.

Fast forward today, I forgot all about them. She posted them on craigslist for $35. I was like oh crap I forgot about those. I looked them up and they are not real common on ebay. The ones I found sold for like $15-$20 except the Pacman. There are none sold and only one available for $50. I figured why not and went to get them.

These things are pretty sweet. I am still on the fence of whether or not to keep or sell. I know it's pretty much an easy $100 but these things fn rock!!! I checked them all for corrosion in battery terminals before I purchased and they are all clean as a whistle. They were all dusty but I gave them a quick wipe.

They all function great, have sound, clean images. They are like new. The Pacman is 1980 the rest are 2005. It is weird how they are exactly the same but Pacman was made 25 years earlier??? Don't make much sense but hey whatever lol.

101_0201_zps6dlul6ov.jpg

• Like 2

FYI, you might do some reading up on screen colors. You might find that white isn't the best choice.

Cool, thanks. I ended up finding a sheet, but I'll have to look into that when I get around to something more permanent.

I actually was wondering about alternate colors; the blacks could be darker, but the "screen" only goes to 800x600*, so I don't expect the picture to look amazing =)

I might have to look into a way to ceiling mount it, too. I've got it on a shelf right now, but I have to have it about 15 feet away from the screen to get it all to fit (the manual says 10-11).

*Although I don't quite know what this means, from the manual: At a COMPONENT VIDEO input of 16:9 Hi-Vision of 1125i(1035i/1080i)/750p, only 16:9 can be selected.

Edited by Asaki

So a few weeks ago I went out to buy a nes lot, I never posted it but it was a good lot had a boxed bubble bobble, it was a complete nes w/like 10 boxed games. I offered $90 and she called me back the next day and took my offer. Anyhow while I was there she had the mini Atari arcades. I almost bought them but didn't.

Fast forward today, I forgot all about them. She posted them on craigslist for $35. I was like oh crap I forgot about those. I looked them up and they are not real common on ebay. The ones I found sold for like $15-$20 except the Pacman. There are none sold and only one available for $50. I figured why not and went to get them.

These things are pretty sweet. I am still on the fence of whether or not to keep or sell. I know it's pretty much an easy $100 but these things fn rock!!! I checked them all for corrosion in battery terminals before I purchased and they are all clean as a whistle. They were all dusty but I gave them a quick wipe.

They all function great, have sound, clean images. They are like new. The Pacman is 1980 the rest are 2005. It is weird how they are exactly the same but Pacman was made 25 years earlier??? Don't make much sense but hey whatever lol.

101_0201_zps6dlul6ov.jpg

I don't think that Pac-man is actually from 1980, I'd guess that's just a copyright date of some sort. They did make all kinds of Pac-man handhelds as well as a couple of watches (including one with an actual teeny tiny joystick), but not one like that as far as I can remember.