IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I haven't found anything good for a long time, then all of a sudden I'm finding games at good prices left and right. I found the games below, all games that I do not already have for $2 each. I even picked up a pair of weird mini controllers that look like the fit an Atari 2600.

I'll probably go back and buy more stuff. The guy I bought them from had a small stack of TRS 80 cartridges, which I've never seen in the wild, a bunch of colecovision games I already have, 2600 games, commons, colecovision 2600 adapter, and an Atari Ram Module. Even though I don't own a TRS 80, the chances of me finding cheap games for one in the future are pretty slim, lol. I'll probably go back buy a few more games for $2 and see if he'd take $1 a piece for the rest he was trying to get rid of them. Last week a I picked up 8 CIB Intellivision games that I needed for $3 a piece.

It's been a good couple of weeks, almost too good. My wife is starting to get upset with all the "junk" I'm bringing home, lol

Great! Bank Heist looks sharp.

Love those iconic Coleco labels!

So very happy about this one. I went up to half price books as I've been house bound all day with a sick 5 year old. Took a few old movies and a pile of useless manga ebay wouldn't move in and go about $17.50 in credit. It was helpful because wow I found Pikmin 2 in stunning shape on GC (original release.) But what really oddly thrilled me was a full DVD Box Set of all 13 OAVs for Ranma 1/2. I've always wanted to watch them way back even in the VHS and early DVD days but those greedy assholes at VIZ wanted $30 a piece for these 30-45min movies and (if you remember them) those crooks at Suncoast would upcharge on them like all anime for $10 more ($40!) Instead I ended up collecting the entire series of manga and really dig it. When I spotted that I had to get it. Once I get off here shortly I'm going to start going through DVD #1 (of 3.) Can't wait. :D Ended up paying in the end almost $45 taxed out the door for it all.

• Like 3

A co-worker gave me a box of old computer boards - motherboards, video cards, sound cards, etc. He doesn't know if any of it works which is fine because I want to use them to practice soldering anyway. There's a Hercules 3D Prophet II MX AGP card that I could use on one of the Pentium 2's though which is nice, if it works

• Like 1

It's been a rollercoaster for me lately...

A while back I bought a copy of Diablo III for the PS3 for $5 at a garage sale. Yea!

I don't have a PS3. Boo!

Won a PS3 from Goodwill auctions for only $22. Yea! (It was listed as "untested" but then so is just about everything from Goodwill.)

It finally gets here and it doesn't work. Boo! Researched it (because I know nothing about the PS3) and find that it has the "Yellow Light Of Death" and that the repairs for this are more than I want to tackle and rarely last.

Figure out that the blue light means it has a game stuck inside. Yea!

Do more research to figure out how to get it out and it's NBA 2k13. Boo!

Find another cheap PS3 on Ebay that has Blu Ray Drive issues. Think, "I can just take the drive out of this one and put it in that one." Look up a video to see how complicated it is, looks easy, so I bid and win it. Yea!

It comes in and I test it and it does indeed seem to work fine, except it won't recognize a game when you put it in the drive. Then I do research more research on changing drives and find out that the drives on the two I have aren't the same or compatible. Boo! (It's also a little more complicated than I thought, so not sure if I'd want to mess with it even if I had the right one.)

Went ahead and set up an account on PSN (ElTigrePelon if anyone wants to add me :-D ) and look through the games. There are a lot of downloadable titles that I'd love to have. Yea!

Now I'm broke and can't afford any of them. Boo!

But, after all this, what I did gain was knowledge, and you can't put a price on that.

• Like 3

Not a bad day, gotta love the 'end of season' last minute sales/finds.

Apparently these are earlier "Power Ranger Zords".....beats me, wifey IDs this 90s stuff for me....the robo-frog with the huge legs is kinda funky, I'll admit...

(She's ten years my junior.)

post-61233-0-23190500-1504393447_thumb.jpg

Neat little 70s Bicentennial figurines and 70s/80s Hong Kong gun replica charms:

post-61233-0-59787500-1504393425_thumb.jpg

Larger Superman, nicely detailed Korean princess doll, 80s playset knights (DFC, maybe?), tiny SW ships, etc.

post-61233-0-98869900-1504393390_thumb.jpg

Spotted the two SNES games first thing this morning for a buck each! They had 'Off Road', as well, but for some reason that one was $5 and the label looked like shit. Looks like the family pup had a helluva time with the PS4 games!

post-61233-0-59509500-1504393514_thumb.jpg

She grabbed more Marvel Legends. ($20 a pop for these bastards, thankfully I'm financially comfortable enough to feed the addiction!) I'm not really into these, preferring my 70s stuff, but Ares is a great friggin toy, a work of art....

post-61233-0-32392200-1504393374_thumb.jpg

And we capped off the afternoon with an old favorite - yayyyy heart and colon health!

(*NOT shown: red beans & rice, jambalaya, etc.)

post-61233-0-95106600-1504393548_thumb.jpg

Worn out and sore, past ready for shower followed by beer/relax time.

• Like 3

A while back I bought a copy of Diablo III for the PS3 for $5 at a garage sale. Yea!

I don't have a PS3. Boo!

Won a PS3 from Goodwill auctions for only $22. Yea! (It was listed as "untested" but then so is just about everything from Goodwill.)

It finally gets here and it doesn't work. Boo! Researched it (because I know nothing about the PS3) and find that it has the "Yellow Light Of Death" and that the repairs for this are more than I want to tackle and rarely last.

Find another cheap PS3 on Ebay that has Blu Ray Drive issues. Think, "I can just take the drive out of this one and put it in that one." Look up a video to see how complicated it is, looks easy, so I bid and win it. Yea!

It comes in and I test it and it does indeed seem to work fine, except it won't recognize a game when you put it in the drive. Then I do research more research on changing drives and find out that the drives on the two I have aren't the same or compatible. Boo! (It's also a little more complicated than I thought, so not sure if I'd want to mess with it even if I had the right one.)

Went ahead and set up an account on PSN (ElTigrePelon if anyone wants to add me :-D ) and look through the games. There are a lot of downloadable titles that I'd love to have. Yea!

But, after all this, what I did gain was knowledge, and you can't put a price on that.

You should post a PS3 want list. They're very cheap around here, ripe for the plucking....

post-61233-0-65243400-1504394759_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Heh, well, I don't think it would do me much good simply because my blu ray drive doesn't work. So, with the current console, I'm restricted to downloading stuff from the PSN. I do hope to eventually rectify that at some point, but right now, I'm going to need to sell some stuff before I can spend some more money on anything.

Heh, well, I don't think it would do me much good simply because my blu ray drive doesn't work. So, with the current console, I'm restricted to downloading stuff from the PSN. I do hope to eventually rectify that at some point, but right now, I'm going to need to sell some stuff before I can spend some more money on anything.

Ohhh, bummer, I missed that part.

I see PS3s regularly, I'll keep an eye out for you.

• Like 1

I don't have a PS3. Boo!

^This Was a roller coaster of a post (YAY!)

Anyway a while back I too was given another PS3 Yay! But it also doesn't work Boo!

It's really just a spare as I already have a nice one (Backwards compatible) from just a little past launch, and I put in a bigger HDD...My friend told me this one needs a new motherboard. I haven't really had any time to even see what it does...But he said the **(red ring of death or yellow ring of confusion or something...whatever)** meant it needs a new motherboard...

I went out hunting over the weekend for a new bass guitar project, but came up empty handed in that respect. But as usual, I found games! :lol:

IfyvW0cl.jpg

The "Arcade" sign was cheating; found that at a Hobby Lobby and used a 40% off coupon the wife had. The 7800 Asteroids and Intellivision Popeye were from a comic book store that sells game stuff that I hit up while the wife was doing her thing at Hobby Lobby. I've gotten cool stuff there before, but the pickings were slim this time around.

Megamania and Fantasy Zone: The Maze were from a local second hand electronics store that sells musical instruments. They also sell games too, and can be extremely hit or miss with pricing. They had a Vectrex with 10 games for $500, a PC Engine Core Grafx with a couple games for $125, and a Japanese Super Famicom for $130 with a handful of common games. They have a good selection of stuff, although the store is a little on the shady side. I did see some reproduction SNES games in the "expensive" game case, like a green see-through Space Megaforce. :? This is a place I will need to revisit when I have some time to sift through their inventory.

• Like 1

The <Hobby Lobby> "Arcade" sign was cheating; found that at a Hobby Lobby and used a 40% off coupon the wife had.

Thank You! That metal Arcade sign looks so cool almost appears as a light up neon. I searched out the site and bought one myself. Cheaper local to avoid shipping, but not sure if in stock or would have the online sale price.

Hobby Lobby Pacman Arcade Sign - $12.50 $20 Shipped - http://www.hobbylobby.com/Home-Decor-Frames/Metal-Decor/Arcade-Pac-Man-Metal-Sign/p/80828293

1469261-a-0617%5B5%5D.jpg

• Like 1

Wow that's a hobby lobby?? I would so find it hard not to buy that if I saw it. hmm... :)

Hobby Lobby is a Christian craft store chain that got themselves exempted from Obamacare because they didn't want to pay for birth control, then got caught smuggling relics out of Iraq.

They give me a bit of a dilemma, because they do get unique items in like that sign- and I know they're unique, I work at a Michael's and have people try to return merch from JoAnn's/Ben Franklin's, so I have a fairly good bead of what's in the craft chains. At the same time, I don't really want to support them on a moral level, so... yeah.

I might have to figure out how to copy that sign, though... I wouldn't mind a smaller version of it floating around...

• Like 1

I know of them and shop there on occasion, and I see no problem with them being exempted from that either but I'm not church going either just to confuse you. I do have a problem with relic rustling though and glad it was caught, but that was the owners not the store and their stockholders and employees shouldn't be held responsible for some owners actions. I'm fine with some retailer having some beliefs about stuff one way or the other if it's not shoved down my throat (and I wouldn't expect them to allow me to force them into anything either.) If I like their product I'll still go there as I'm not into that childish shaming culture these days.

It's just a sign, in some teeny insignificant way buying it there would just help some minimum wage person help put food on their table in exchange for you like a pac-man arcade wall ornament. Not having it and going through hoops to make a copy is hurting no one but yourself if you think about it.

Hobby Lobby is a Christian craft store chain that got themselves exempted from Obamacare because they didn't want to pay for birth control, then got caught smuggling relics out of Iraq.

They give me a bit of a dilemma, because they do get unique items in like that sign- and I know they're unique, I work at a Michael's and have people try to return merch from JoAnn's/Ben Franklin's, so I have a fairly good bead of what's in the craft chains. At the same time, I don't really want to support them on a moral level, so... yeah.

I might have to figure out how to copy that sign, though... I wouldn't mind a smaller version of it floating around...

Ugh ... let's keep the politics out of here ... it's bad enough that it's invading sports and everywhere else. Please don't pollute my video games ... it's my happy place.

• Like 1

Not a fan of the corporation myself, but they have cool signs sometimes. I feel better that I never pay full price when I get something there. Also, wearing metal band T-shirts there is entertaining.

ANYWAY (keeping the politics out of here)... :)

I keep thinking back to the $500 Vectrex bundle I saw at one of the stores I went to last weekend. Is that really the going price these days? It did have 10 games (including Star Trek: SOS which is on my must buy list), although I only saw one overlay and no boxed items.

Another thing that has been haunting me from my hunt is some of the stuff I found at a flea market. One vendor was selling three TG16 loosies: Silent Debuggers, World Class Baseball, and another decent title. This is the 1st time I saw TG16 games in the wild in years, and they were $$$$$ (over $40 each!) This hobby is getting really expensive these days.

Ugh ... let's keep the politics out of here ... it's bad enough that it's invading sports and everywhere else. Please don't pollute my video games ... it's my happy place.

Honestly? I misread the post I quoted, I though it said 'what's a Hobby Lobby?' Not intending to start a debate- really just venting about places you don't like shopping at (for any reason) getting in the cool stuff. Like Gamestop sneaking copies of Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii into the used section so they could jack up prices, or seeing the guy who runs the shady game booth at the flea market buy something especially rare from an unsuspecting housewife & knowing you'll have to pay out the nose for it if you want it.

Edited by HoshiChiri

I didn't find it political, just personal reasons if that matters for much which is why I responded in kind the same way. Sorry if that got taken out of context.

I do agree, best way to get somethign is a 50% off or better sale as they won't make much if anything on it (maybe a loss) to get people in the door for other stuff.

Once I can transfer the image to the computer (being lazy took it yesterday) I have a cool find I built over a period of maybe 4-6 weeks of lucky pick ups followed by a couple small ebay buys on the back end to complete something cool. :D