Flash! Across America, awful jawfuls of junk food are causing deadly dental decay. Plaque is spreading its invisible film, turning teeth yellow as they decompose before our very eyes. Blast this junk with toothpaste before it gets to your teeth! And don't let up. This is the Plaque Attack, by cuspid, the last stop before gum city!
<div class='maintitle'>Game Information</div><div class='borderwrap'><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='row2'><td>
- Game Name: Plaque Attack
- Released By: Activision, 1983
- Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Fast Fire
- Right Difficulty: B / Novice - Fast Fire
- Game Mode: Game 1 - 1 Player, Advanced
<div class='maintitle'>Challenges</div><div class='borderwrap'><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='row2'><td>
- No Plaque Pack - Score 35,000 points or higher and you get 1 bonus point.
- Proper Dental Hygiene - Brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once a day in order to remove your own plaque and ensure healthy teeth and gums. You won't get any bonus points for this, but proper dental health is it's own reward.
<table class='ipbtable'><tr><td><div class='maintitle'>Current High Scores</div><div class="borderwrap"><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='row2'><td width='100%'>
- 77,705 (JacobZu7zu7) [+11][+1]
- 75,100 (toymailman) [+10][+1]
- 71,405 (Deteacher) [+9][+1]
- 67,205 (oyamafamily) [+8][+1]
- 63,860 (Gorfy) [+7][+1]
- 61,515 (Vocelli) [+6][+1]
- 59,765 (Stan) [+5][+1]
- 59,570 (Frostbite76) [+4][+1]
- 55,325 (DT Kofoed) [+3][+1]
- 55,215 (Jifremok) [+2][+1]
- 51,630 (Scrabbler15) [+1][+1]
- 47,980 (LarcenTyler) [+1][+1]
- 47,735 (Miss 2600) [+1][+1]
- 47,270 (pokeplayer984) [+1][+1]
- 43,730 (classicgamer_27330) [+1][+1]
- 39,335 (centiqueen81) [+1][+1]
- 29,675 (roadrunner) [+1]
- 19,155 (Chuck D. Head) [+1]
- 17,710 (Krytol) [+1]
- 15,720 (Darth Kinzer) [+1]
- 15,500 (Amstari) [+1]
- 15,475 (zylon) [+1]
<div class='maintitle'>Best Tips</div><div class="borderwrap"><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='row2'><td>Stan [+2]</td></tr></table></div>
<div class='maintitle'>TwinGalaxies Top 3</div><div class="borderwrap"><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='darkrow2'><td>(Game 1, Difficulty B)</td></tr><tr class='row2'><td>
- 999,999 (Todd Rogers)
- 88,870 (David B Yancey)
- 73,280 (James Randall)
- JacobZu7zu7 
- toymailman 
- oyamafamily 
- Vocelli 
- Frostbite76 
- Gorfy 
- Deteacher 
- classicgamer_27330 
- Stan 
- DT Kofoed 
- Scrabbler15 
- SpiceWare 
- Miss 2600 
- Amstari 
- pis 
- keilbaca 
- Jifremok 
- roadrunner 
- Mister VCS 
- Chuck D. Head 
- Cynicaster 
- zylon 
- SeaGtGruff 
- centiqueen81 
- cparsley 
- HatefulGravey 
- Curious Sofa 
- pokeplayer984 
- LarcenTyler 
- Krytol 
- Torr 
- littleman jack 
- Wickeycolumbus 
- atarigal 
- Cortat G 
- bennybingo 
- ed1475 
- rmaerz 
- Zach 
- atariUCLA24 
- dwane413 
- SpaceDice2010 
- MIKE5200 
- Mangia-Boy 
- Buck 
- 4Ks 
- Cream147 
- theKLT 
- DickNixonArisen 
- leematari 
- Darth Kinzer 
<div class='maintitle'>Scoring Points in Plaque Attack</div><div class='borderwrap'><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='row2'><td>
- Shoot Food - 5 * Level Number
- Time Bonus at End of Level - 5 * Remaining Seconds * Level Number
- Tooth Bonus at End of Level - 5, 20, 45, 80, 125, 150, 175, 200 points per tooth (level 1 through 8)
- Scoring maxes at level 8, every subsequent level scores the same.
<div class='maintitle'>Hints and Tips</div>
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:
- It's almost impossible to recover from poor oral hygiene (i.e., sloppy game-play) experienced in the early stages. The best strategy is to acquire as many bonus teeth as possible as soon as you can.
- Next...when things get really hairy, don't bother going after food particles that are not moving towards your teeth. If they're moving off to the side, let them go, concentrating only on defending your teeth from food heading their way. This means playing defensively when the going gets tough. Whereas, in the early stages, it's best to play offensively, blasting away all the junk food in sight.
- Also, remember that the food always reverses direction as soon as a tooth is attacked. Try to save the tooth, then turn your tube around immediately and continue shooting.
We played this game once before in the High Score Club, you might want to check out that thread for more hints.
- Spend the earlier levels gathering points and extra teeth. Don't forget you get an extra one every 2000 points. A full mouth equals big points if you keep more teeth later.
- Once the game gets faster, try not to flip your tube too much, it's distracting and will cause you to lose targets. Try to stay near the top or bottom at first (the game automatically locates you based on the way the enemy is coming each round), then slowly edge towards the middle. Flip over when they go in the opposite direction and repeat the process.
- When the game gets faster, HOLD DOWN that fire button. If you have few enemies on screen, it's okay to wait to shoot, but in general when it gets fast, just blast away and move like crazy.
- Later levels are all about survival, not getting extra teeth, you should cover that early on. For later levels, once you're down to a single tooth, FOCUS ON IT. Unless there aren't any enemies close, be aiming right towards it so you can take out anything that gets close. Using this method you can last quite long in later levels. Make sure you do it, though, because as things get faster the enemies also decay your teeth faster, so if you move around too much you'll find yourself losing tons of teeth in a matter of split seconds.
- DON'T WORRY ABOUT SHOOTING ENDLESSLY. It does not affect your time. The timer naturally goes down regardless of how many times you fire, so it's to your advantage, especially in later levels, to just blast away and move like crazy.
The enemies change direction after attacking your teeth. So, keep an eye on where the topmost and bottommost teeth are. Knowing where you need to go and getting there quick will save lots of teeth. Roaming around AIMlessly (pun intended) will only end your game very quickly.
A little something I've noticed is that the junk food alternates it's target. Basically, after the food attacks a tooth and you save it (or lose it), the food will then travel in the opposite direction towards those teeth instead. So basically, if it attacked the bottom row first, it'll then go to the top row, then the bottom, then the top and so forth. This, however, only applies if there are teeth on both sides. If only one side has teeth, then it'll only attack that side, regardless.