IGNORED

Looking for a mass media solution for your Apple //c?

Rockin' Kat

I just saw this over on A2Central. It looks like the guy is getting closer to being able to sell a finished product. It hooks up to the smartport floppy interface found built-in on the //c, //c+, and IIgs. That is fantastic as it means you might be able to at some point soon do something with that //c of yours without needing some other model of Apple II around to babysit it.

http://www.spvhd.org/

Seriously? no floppy in the computer and they didn't feel like mentioning it? ... well, this is intended for the smart port on the outside of the //c... but if you're //c+ is already missing the drive, I guess it wouldn't hurt to buy the kit version and try installing it internally.

Though given that the //c+ can work with the external Apple 3.5 drive(unlike the original //c), I wouldn't be surprised if you could take the drive mechanism out of the external Apple 3.5 drive case and put it into the //c+ in place of the original missing floppy drive... personally I'd be more inclined to try to replace the missing floppy drive and use this thing externally.

Seriously? no floppy in the computer and they didn't feel like mentioning it?

Yeah, just like he didn't mention missing keycaps on the laser 128 I bought at the same time. After I posted negative feedback there was a sudden rush of negative feedback from others who had been patiently waiting to resolve issues. His account was closed shortly after that.

... well, this is intended for the smart port on the outside of the //c... but if you're //c+ is already missing the drive, I guess it wouldn't hurt to buy the kit version and try installing it internally.

Though given that the //c+ can work with the external Apple 3.5 drive(unlike the original //c), I wouldn't be surprised if you could take the drive mechanism out of the external Apple 3.5 drive case and put it into the //c+ in place of the original missing floppy drive... personally I'd be more inclined to try to replace the missing floppy drive and use this thing externally.

I thought about that but it seems to me there was metal fabrication involved and I *think* I came to the conclusion I'd also have to make a custom button.

I also thought about one of those drive emulators and installing it internally. This would be cheaper and offer more storage for the IIc though.

Edited by JamesD

I just saw this over on A2Central. It looks like the guy is getting closer to being able to sell a finished product. It hooks up to the smartport floppy interface found built-in on the //c, //c+, and IIgs. That is fantastic as it means you might be able to at some point soon do something with that //c of yours without needing some other model of Apple II around to babysit it.

http://www.spvhd.org/

Rockin' Kat,

Here's another page with a project for the Apple //c, using the Smartport. I'll admit I like Cedric's better, and am on the list to buy one from him, but at least it's nice to know there is another option out there: http://www.users.on.net/~rjustice/SmartportCFA/SmartportCFA.htm

Dean