IGNORED

Atari finally files Flashback 2 bootleg lawsuit

Did anything ever come of this?

I just did a quick Westlaw search for decisions involving Tommo, but there are no results.

The matter may have settled (very few civil actions ever make it to final judgement) or it may still be before the courts.

I always thought it was weird that of all things to bootleg, something like the Flashback would be it. I mean really, how many of these things have been sold and how much would it cost to bootleg something like that? Obviously I must be wrong since it happened, but I would think there are far more profitable things to knock off.

Ah, shucks... This is no different from the pirate "TV Games" Famiclones (PowerJoy, etc) they sell at the malls. Nintendo has been fighting them for years. Basically, they shut one kiosk down, and another one opens elsewhere. But there is a silver light at the end of the tunnel. If the pirate companies now have a working AOAC (Atari On A Chip), that opens up the possibilities for legitimate hardware clones, just with a cartridge slot instead of a crap-ton of included games. I'm all for an Atari clone, and with the glut of games still floating around on the market, fresh hardware (even if it's cloned) will put a much needed boost in the used cart market. Whether advanced homebrew games like BoulderDash will work on cloned hardware has yet to be seen.

• 1 year later...

The operations were shut down and all the pirate ones that were still on store shelves here were pulled and destroyed. If you're looking for FB2s I would still be careful to make sure it's not one of the faulty pirate ones.

Thanks for the update on this. Do you know (or can you say) if Atari was able to get any damages?

The operations were shut down and all the pirate ones that were still on store shelves here were pulled and destroyed. If you're looking for FB2s I would still be careful to make sure it's not one of the faulty pirate ones.

I have a FB2 that I got for Christmas a number of years ago. Is there any good way to tell if it's legit or a pirated knockoff?

Thanks for the update on this. Do you know (or can you say) if Atari was able to get any damages?

We weren't privy to that, all we did was alert them to the issue and do an analysis of a clone unit for them. At the minimum they had all the stock pulled as mentioned and no more entered the US, which is often the most you're likely to get with pirating issues like this especially from Asia.

I have a FB2 that I got for Christmas a number of years ago. Is there any good way to tell if it's legit or a pirated knockoff?

If you bought it in a retail store after 2006 it's most likely a pirate. They were primarily sold through Kroger stores (www.kroger.com) and affiliate stores in the Kroger network.

This thread talks about it and has plenty of comparison pictures between legit and pirate FB2s:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173494-original-flashback2-sighting-2499/

If you bought it in a retail store after 2006 it's most likely a pirate. They were primarily sold through Kroger stores (www.kroger.com) and affiliate stores in the Kroger network.

This thread talks about it and has plenty of comparison pictures between legit and pirate FB2s:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173494-original-flashback2-sighting-2499/

I'm pretty sure I got it right around that time ('05 - '07) but I honestly don't remember. It's been packed away for awhile. Anyway, I took it apart today. The printed circuit board is in the Rev C form factor but while the pics of the printed circuit board don't look like the pirate versions shown in that thread, they also don't look like legit FB2 boards. Damn it.

I've put mine back together already, but here's the best pic I got of the "business end" of the PCB.

IMG_2515_zpsa453560f.jpg

Is that the pirate or official version?

I didn't take my PCB out, but on the backside it says "Michele" over by the player two port, with the cartridge wiring diagram on the other side. Pretty sure mine's official.

Edited by stardust4ever

Is that the pirate or official version?

Good question. Read my posts up-thread, lol. It LOOKS legit from the outside - proper colors on the control panel, labels, etc. But the PCB is decidedly unlike any of the small "Rev C" boards.

Crap dude. The fakes are harder to spot than I imagined. Mine was bought in early 2014 (March 17th) as a used accessory from blasted machines tech shop, with the Flashback 2 console, adapter, and two controllers (no box). I haven't even played it yet... :ponder:

Edited by stardust4ever

Good question. Read my posts up-thread, lol. It LOOKS legit from the outside - proper colors on the control panel, labels, etc. But the PCB is decidedly unlike any of the small "Rev C" boards.

Who told you it was a Rev C board? Looks like one of the earlier revisions.

Here's more on the Kroger one. Can you take pics of the other side of your board?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/187727-is-my-fb2-a-fake/?do=findComment&comment=2371823

• Like 1

Here's more on the Kroger one. Can you take pics of the other side of your board?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/187727-is-my-fb2-a-fake/?do=findComment&comment=2371823

I thought "Rev. C" indicated the smaller PCB. Anyway, I'll disassemble it again tomorrow and take some more pics. FWIW, my wife thinks she bought it for me at Target, whatever year it was. It was definitely at least a couple (maybe several) years before 2010 when those pirated copies showed up in Kroger and Kroger-owned stores around the country.

I thought "Rev. C" indicated the smaller PCB. Anyway, I'll disassemble it again tomorrow and take some more pics. FWIW, my wife thinks she bought it for me at Target, whatever year it was. It was definitely at least a couple (maybe several) years before 2010 when those pirated copies showed up in Kroger and Kroger-owned stores around the country.

Then it's most likely a legit one, Target was one of the regular retailers we set up to sell it. Rev B and Rev C were smaller, but Rev C has very specific changes in layout to make modding easier.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/163239-fb2-rev-c-cart-mod-visual-cheat-sheet/?do=findComment&comment=2015452

Thanks for the pics link. I opened mine the other day but did not realise the pirates were so crafty. I'll double check mine later, thanks...

Sadly I plugged mine in for the first time tonight and it did not work at all. The Atari power adapter is a good 9V positive tip; I tested it with my tongue (seriously don't do this) and it zapped me! No picture at all and no signal whatsoever from the A/V. I have a custom arcade joystick with an indicater LED which did not light when plugged up, so I'm fairly confident there is no voltage on VCC. Sometime later, I'll test the plug, power switch, and voltage regulator for faults. Hopefully I can ressurect the poor little guy.