IGNORED

The Complete List of Power Supplies

I’ve been wanting to put this list together for some time and I just realized many of use could take advantage of this information. Listed below you will find a list of different console that use the traditional wall warts (not like the N64 ect) and it’s volts and amp. When I am out at thrifts and flea markets I find myself digging through the boxes of wires looking for the right wall wart to hook me up. Today I found that 9v 1A I had been looking for to run my Yobo and remembered this list I had been wanting to put together. I’m sure I have passed up some power supplies that I could find use for somewhere down the road. Who wants to pay $10+ each for the things when you can get them for $1-2 each and use you old connector? So here we go with the list. Any help to fill in some holes would be greatly appreciated. Even help on consoles I have not listed, or different models that use a different power supply (like the SG1 and SG2/3 or the 2nd PS1 that had an exterior PS.) I’m sure this information is listed in different places across the web (not Wiki), but I want a list of all of them. Let’s get this thing together!

All Power Supplies are DCv with Positive centers unless other wise noted

• ATARI
  • Atari 2600

9V 500mA (PART NO. CO10472)

• Atari 5200

11.5V 1.95A (two port)

• Atari 7800

9V 1A (PART NO. CO 24471-001)

• Atari Jag

9V DC 1.2A NEGATIVE center tip

NINTENDO

• NES

Model 1 and 2 are interchangeable

9vAC 600mA (mine is after market)

9vAC 1.3A (Model No: NES-002)

• SNES

10v 850mA (Model No: SNS-002) Negative Tip

• Virtual Boy

10V 850Ma Negative Tip

SEGA

• SMS

9v 1A Negative Tip

Sega Model numbers 3025 & 1602

• SG1

9v 1A Negative Tip (Model NO: 1602)

• SG2&3

10vdc 800ma (Model NO: MK-2103)

• Game Gear

10v 800mA (Model NO: MK-2103)

• Sega CD

10vdc 1200ma (Model NO: 1602-1)

Can use the 1602 but will overheat quickly

• Sega 32x

10v 800mA (Model NO: MK-2103)

OTHER

• Cdi

Power pinout: (Same connector as an eathernet cable)

Red,white,red,black, red, black, green, grey

Red: +5V (all lines tied together)

Green: -5V

Black wires 0 V (ground) (all lines tied together)

White: player voltage sensing for regulation

grey: turns on PSU

So the power supply won't produce any output voltages unless the grey and white wires are connected to +5V

• Colecovision

• Intellivision II

16.2VAC 955mA.

• Neo Geo

• Odyssey 2

11.5V AC 400Ma

• PS1 (2nd Gen)

• RCA Studio II

• TG-16

9v 1A

INTERCHANGEABLE

If you have a PS that will work on one of these, chances are, if will work on another console grouped in the list.

GROUP 1

Jaguar, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive model I, Sega CD(not for extended play), TG16

GROUP 2

SG2/3, 32x, Game Gear

Thanks to Krytol for sharing THIS LINK by Christopher Pepin that some of this information has been compiled from. His link also has much information about lesser known systems not listed above, internal power supplies, and even some clones.

Edited by bigbee99
  • Like 3

• Atari 2600

9V DC 500ma, positive tip

• Atari 5200

• Atari 7800
    9Vv1A

• Atari Jag

9V DC 1.2A NEGATIVE center tip, be careful as it is less common

• Odyssey 2

• Colecovision

• CHANNEL F

• RCA Studio II

• NES
    9v 600mA (mine is after market)

• SNES
    10v 850mA

• SMS
    9v 1A

• SG1
    9v 1A

• SG2&3
    Can find mine ATM. The kids had it out with my Game Gear grrrr

• Sega CD

• Sega 32x

• Neo Geo

• TG-16

• PS1 (2nd Gen)

• Cdi

• 3DO

Good thread idea. If there is enough data support for it I will pin the topic.

Word. I had intended to edit the thread as the info came in but I didn't realize that I couldn't do that in this forum. :? Is that a member only feature for this forum?

• Atari Jag

9V DC 1.2A NEGATIVE center tip, be careful as it is less common

With these, you just reverse the wires when you connect everything back together if the replacement supply is the opposite polarity. I just did this with my Yobo today and everything has been rolling just fine. So instead of going back white/white and black/black, you solder up white/black and black/white.

B

Word. I had intended to edit the thread as the info came in but I didn't realize that I couldn't do that in this forum. :? Is that a member only feature for this forum?

There is a time limit for post editing. I just turned on post editing privileges for the first post.

BTW, it's been a while since I owned a 3DO but I am very confident that the PSU is internal.

• Like 1

CDi

Power pinout: (Same connector as an eathernet cable)

Red,white,red,black, red, black, green, grey

Red: +5V (all lines tied together)

Green: -5V

Black wires 0 V (ground) (all lines tied together)

White: player voltage sensing for regulation

grey: turns on PSU

So the power supply won't produce any output voltages unless the grey and white wires are connected to +5V

Videopac G7000

Internal

• Like 1

there are several listed here:

VIDEO GAME POWER SUPPLY VOLTAGES AND MINOR REPAIR FAQ

:love:

Very cool. I'll edit up what he has (credit him of course)and organize this list better. I'm sure we can fill in the holes he has left in his list. Collectively or maybe pulled from another site. We already have the SG2.

B

Another cool feature for this thread would be a matrix showing which ones work on other systems, and what those are.

I know that Jaguar, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive model I, Sega CD, and Sega 32X all can use the same adapter since the plug size and polarity are identical.

Edited by tz101
  • Like 2

Another cool feature for this thread would be a matrix showing which ones work on other systems, and what those are.

I know that Jaguar, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive model I, Sega CD, and Sega 32X all can use the same adapter since the plug size and polarity are identical.

Yeah I was thinking about that too. We would have to have the information posted just like you did. Can't really match up Volts (amps does not always matter, just as long as it close) because of the different connector sizes. A perfect example would be the SMS and the 7800. Sure they would work with each other if you cut them up, but the connectors are very different. Many 8 and 16 bit did have the same size connector as you pointed out. I'll add a cross reference section later though.

Maybe we could get connector sizes for the more common plugs? That would be boss! Then one could raid that old water fountain plug for the right size :D

Last Changes

I added MOST of the information from the link.

Removed some systems with internal power supplies

Made a few groups for easy scrolling: Atari, Sega, Nintendo, Other

Added credit at the bottom.

I am thinking of grouping handhelds separate as well.

B

List updated. I do have a few questions

1.) Did the 32x and Sega CD use the same PS as the SG2?

2.) Did the Top Loader NES and 2nd Gen SNES use the same PS as the originals?

B

Gen 2,Gen 3, GG and 32x use the same 10vdc 800ma power supply. Sega cd can use Gen 1 9vdc 1200ma but usually had a 10vdc 1200ma one which looks exactly the same as Gen1 cords. Sega recommends use of Gen1 9vdc 1200ma power supplies for SMS as the original 9vdc 1000ma ones overheated. :)

• Like 1

I marked SMS, SG1, and SG2/3 negative. You are correct, sir. Thanks

B

Anytime. I've been sorting those out for years now. ;)

Watch it though, there's a few late Gen 2's and some 3's using a really small power supply. Those can be fried by the normal issue ones. :(

Edited by zylon

Small note to add here: Both the Atari 2600 and the SMS don't really need 9V... they run fine on a 6-cell NiCd battery putting out about 7-7.5 Volts. In my tests, the Atari 2600 drew about 265 mA, and the SMS drew about 400 mA, though that may vary with the cartridge inserted and other power requirements. The Game Gear also draws about 400-450 mA, but that's the measured consumption from the batteries, not from the power supply if there is one connected, though the power supply that comes with it seems to be the same one that comes with the SMS. And you forgot to list the original Game Boy. I don't know how much it draws from a connected power supply, but from the batteries it draws about 50-60 mA, also varying with cartridge inserted.

B

Watch it though, there's a few late Gen 2's and some 3's using a really small power supply. Those can be fried by the normal issue ones. :(

All Genesis 2s and 3s use the smaller tip, which is tip positive, not negative.

B

"I" never said they were. Only that certain ones used the same power supplies. :)

Here's with numbers:

MK-2103: fits Gen 2+3, 32X, Gamegear

3025: SMS 1+2 only

1602: SMS 1+2, Gen 1(can also work on Sega CD, but not recommeded for extended play)

1602-1: Sega CD only. Early Sega Cd units had the same(1602) as Gen 1 but they burned out quickly running the CD units.

B

"I" never said they were. Only that certain ones used the same power supplies. :)

Ah, in terms of physical size, not tip size. My bad.