IGNORED

Cardboard Genesis Boxes

AtariLeaf

I think most of us would agree that the plastic Genesis case look much nicer than the cardboard cases. With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone ever cut a cardboard genesis box cover and slipped the cover inside a plastic Genesis case. If so how did it look? Do you recommend it or is just leaving the cardboard boxes alone the better route? Am I proposing something sacrilegious? :ponder:

I've seen the sumguy's of the world doing this throughout the times and always cringed at the practice. Personally, I would leave them alone. Looks sillier butchering up boxes IMO.

Besides that, the look just isn't original. One of the reasons I believe most of us like boxes is because it takes us back to the days when this stuff was current and on display in retail. Only place you saw bastardization like that was at greasy rental stores. Yuck. lol

• Like 2

I keep the boxes how they are but I keep the games with my other loose Genesis games so I don't have to continually open the box to get the game. If you're looking to keep the games in the plastic cases you could see if that cover art project has the covers you need that way you wouldn't destroy the original boxes and you could keep the games in the plastic cases.

Edited by GKC

The Genesis cardboard boxes are crap, but like it's been stated it looks worse when chopped up and slapped in a plastic case. Part of the reason is the dimensions of the plastic boxes are slightly off compared to the cardboard ones and it just ends up looking weird.

• Like 1

I think most of us would agree that the plastic Genesis case look much nicer than the cardboard cases. With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone ever cut a cardboard genesis box cover and slipped the cover inside a plastic Genesis case. If so how did it look? Do you recommend it or is just leaving the cardboard boxes alone the better route? Am I proposing something sacrilegious? :ponder:

I gave a friend of mine my old Art Alive plastic case so he could cut up Sonic & Knuckles and put that in. Looks fine. Not perfect, if you're inspecting it, but far better than any cardboard box.

What games did come in those cardboard ones? Anything special? Early or late titles?

Basically everything either '94 and on, or '95 and on. Something like that. I don't recall exactly. The majority of the 32X library also used these cardboard boxes, asides from a few Acclaim titles that still used the old plastic cases.

What games did come in those cardboard ones? Anything special? Early or late titles?

Basically everything either '94 and on, or '95 and on. Something like that. I don't recall exactly. The majority of the 32X library also used these cardboard boxes, asides from a few Acclaim titles that still used the old plastic cases.

Ah, so later stuff. The only cardybored box gen game I have is Zoop; although I noted that the 32x's had the cardboard, I didn't connect the two. Anyway, no reason to cut the original packaging: isn't there a site with scans of the cardboard boxes? Even if you had to make your own scans, prints of those would work better in the plastic cases than cardboard anyway.

What would be a wicked cool project would be to like... go back through the library of one of these old systems and have a bunch of people do their own versions of art for the games, at least the big ones, complete with text and fake company logos if they want, and print yourself up a whole bunch of alternate covers.

What would be a wicked cool project would be to like... go back through the library of one of these old systems and have a bunch of people do their own versions of art for the games, at least the big ones, complete with text and fake company logos if they want, and print yourself up a whole bunch of alternate covers.

That would be amazing to see done. Especially to see 'em all done in a single style, rather than old games having art over the black w/ white grid, and the later games with the red bands...

So many games got shit artwork when they came over from Japan. Strider, Last Battle, Gunstar Heroes... Gunstar wasn't the worst, but it's pretty ugly and euro-looking.

Edited by Rex Dart

Back when I was heavy into the genesis scene, I had Crusader of Centi boxed and I cut the buchered the box to make it fit in a clamshell, later on I wised up and printed a new slip that fit perfectly along with a slip depicting the box art of the Mega Drive Sonic n Knuckles at the local Kinkos.

Dont butcher go to Kinkos first jejej

I like how nobody will ever dare speak of such atrocities and heresy on Nintendo systems, but when it's something like a Sega system? Butcher them boxes like it's going outta style! Mega Drive newbies never show any respect... :roll:

I promise you that if Nintendo had stopped making boxes halfway through the life of the SNES and instead packaged games with one-sheet printouts all in a plastic sack, people would be making boxes out of those printouts.

• Like 1

I bought a copy of X-Men 2 for Sega Genesis complete off ebay only to get this same crap. I bought another one and now it's for sale.

I like how nobody will ever dare speak of such atrocities and heresy on Nintendo systems, but when it's something like a Sega system? Butcher them boxes like it's going outta style! Mega Drive newbies never show any respect... :roll:

Because Nintendo never used clamshell cases until the GameCube and Sega abruptly stopped using them in 1994? I always hated the cardboard boxes for later Genesis releases, but I'd much rather print out an insert as opposed to cutting up an actual box.

Super Off Road for the megadrive came in a cardboard box.

Most Accolade games came in cardboard boxes, but they were made of tougher cardboard and had different construction compared to the flimsy cardboard Sega switched to.

Edited by ApolloBoy