IGNORED

ACTION! for emulator

russg

I have dumps of the ACTION! cart. It is four 4K dumps, one for $B000 to $BFFF, and three banked dumps for $D500, $D501, and $D509 that go

into $A000-$AFFF.

I see Altirra 1.9 has two 16K OSS ROM types (034M and M091). I can make a single 16K ROM file out of the four dumps I have, but don't know if it is as simple

as knowing the order of the dumps in a 16K ROM file.

Has this already been done? I see Atarimania doesn't have any ROM or disk files for ACTION! I know there's a .COM version, but I don't think it is very good.

It might be useful for people wanting to program in ACTION!, but would use an emulator. There are cross compilers and assemblers for PCs, but ACTION! is

an itermediate level programming environment that might be interesting to some.

Edit: I see Atarimax.com has an .ATR that can be burned to a 1mb Maxflash cart. But I suspect this is the .COM version.

Edit again: I have some experience with the ACTION! cart. It is very good, much better than the .COM version, but still crashes

rarely.

Edited by russg

#action.zip

Try that.

It's got a proper header so will work straight up in emulators that scan the header.

OK, I see it has already been done. It worked in Atari800winplus 4.0. You know if it is the 034M or M091 type for Altirra? Also, do you know the order

of the dumps so I can try make one myself?

Rybags, your ROM is a hacked one (although the only thing hacked is a single byte at offset 0000 indicating version number).

Here are the correct images:

Action! 3.6 (in FULS' collection) - M091 mapping

Action! 3.5 - 043M mapping. Note that this mapping is currently only supported by Atari++, and versions of Altirra and Atari800 supporting it were not released yet. To covert it to the 034M mapping, you'd have to split the file into four 4KB parts and swap the 2nd and 3rd parts.

Edited by Kr0tki

Rybags, your ROM is a hacked one (although the only thing hacked is a single byte at offset 0000 indicating version number).

Here are the correct images:

Action! 3.6 (in FULS' collection) - M091 mapping

Action! 3.5 - 043M mapping. Note that this mapping is currently only supported by Atari++, and versions of Altirra and Atari800 supporting it were not released yet. To covert it to the 034M mapping, you'd have to split the file into four 4KB parts and swap the 2nd and 3rd parts.

what?

You using an old edition emulator altirra.

Use this version:http:http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.00-test17.zip

As you can see Action! 3.5 works in altirra.

043M mapping supported.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/actionp.jpg/

Kr0tki,

Both myself and Serj spend day in day out beta testing Altirra, its easy for us to blur the line about what's officially released as stable and what's officially released as beta.

It's also easy to forget that many just follow the official release page at version 1.9 and not follow the blog where its 2.b17.

Kr0tki, You can add support in official release emulator, cassette loader turbo2000?

I found somewhere in the network hack your emulator named "atari800win 2.0.3 turbed" with the support of the loader, but it's an old release.

the version can be downloaded: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7L91I16I

and then I put a lot of records with the loader T2000:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KWQEXKQT

This thread reminded me about the dump of my Action! cart I made a few months ago.

I thought I should upload the image since I haven't seen it made available previously. It's from a 2-chip, orange cart which I've owned since about 1983 and is Action! version 3.6. The image is the 034M type. The version identification, $36 $01, displays correctly when you view location $B000.

I used QMEG+OS 4.04 to manually dump the banks.

I wish I still had versions 3.1 and 3.4 but I traded them in each time I wanted upgrades from OSS.

action36-034m.zip

• Like 2

#action.zip

Try that.

It's got a proper header so will work straight up in emulators that scan the header.

OK, I see it has already been done. It worked in Atari800winplus 4.0. You know if it is the 034M or M091 type for Altirra? Also, do you know the order

I got the ACTION!, type M091 "B" single chip from FULS, analyzed it and it had order $B000, $D500, $D509, $D501. I concatenated my dumps and it is identical to FULS one.

The type A one (034M) just posted, forget poster, also works in Atari800winplus 4.

So, I think Atarimania reads here, maybe put the .ROM for ACTION! up, they are called .BIN, but same thing as .ROM.

If anyone wants to use ACTION!, they'd need the manual, but that is at Atarimania, I think.

My dumps were made with OMNIMON.

#action.zip

Try that.

I got the ACTION!, type M091 "B" single chip from FULS, analyzed it and it had order $B000, $D500, $D509, $D501. I concatenated my dumps and it is identical to FULS one.

The type A one (034M) just posted, forget poster, also works in Atari800winplus 4.

So, I think Atarimania reads here, maybe put the .ROM for ACTION! up, they are called .BIN, but same thing as .ROM.

If anyone wants to use ACTION!, they'd need the manual, but that is at Atarimania, I think.

PDF of manual is on my website also...

http://sloopy.digitalglass.us/atari/

sloopy.

This thread reminded me about the dump of my Action! cart I made a few months ago.

Interesting find, thanks! It's the first verified instance of an OSS product that was released on both the two-chip and the one-chip cartridge board.

Edited by Kr0tki

Interesting find, thanks! It's the first verified instance of an OSS product that was released on both the two-chip and the one-chip cartridge board.

What do you mean? versions?

sloopy.

#action.zip

Try that.

I tried upload of the two ACTION! ROM dumps to Atarimania, but still not available ACTION! ROMs there.

Here, I believe, are faithful dumps of the two ROMs, The 'A' version, version 3.5, two chip 034M coding. And the 'B', one chip, 3.6, M091 version.

Maybe Atari Frog reads this and can post them to Atarimania.

EDIT: Heck. The ACTIONA.ROM is different from ACTIONB.ROM, but both have 36 at $BOOO. So, ACTIONA.ROM isn't 3.5. I'd like to

delete this message. I know ACTIONB.ROM is the same as my ACTION! cart, that's all I know. The ACTION.OSS posted by Krotki

is the 3.5 version. It doesn't work in Atariwin800plus 4, but does work in Altirra 1.9, 034M coding.

ACTION.zip

Edited by russg

Another question. What do 034M and M091 coding mean?

I think it refers to the banking at $D5xx.

The M091 is 'Main'(loads at $B000), then any access to the $D5xx puts a bank into $A000, ie. $D500, $D509, $D501, in that order, thus the M091.

I guess the 034M would have banks accessed by $D500, $D503, $D504 and 'Main' as last in the sequence of banks in the ROM.

Edit: the access to $D5xx must be at bit 0 or 3 if I recall.

Edited by russg

You're right. The name refers to the order of banks in a ROM image.

However it was recently discovered that the "034M" order is "incorrect" - the ROM chips in an actual cartridge (and in consequence, also dumps of those chips) contain banks in a different order - which lead to introduction of a new "043M" mapping in the emulators.

Edited by Kr0tki