IGNORED

PC Engine Duo-R power supply for usage in the USA

Chuplayer

So I just nabbed this a few hours ago: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1905616051571?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=190561605157&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

My only concern right now is getting a power supply to work with it. The listing says it comes with a Japanese 100VAC power supply.

I've seen a pic of the back of the console that says 9V right next to the DC input, but I don't know the current the system requires.

I do have a spare US Jaguar power supply. It's 9VDC at 1.2A. I have no idea if the current rating is sufficient and if the connector will match the Duo-R's DC input, though. (And I'll be mindful of center positive/negative, too. If need be, I will cut the cord and rearrange it so the polarity is correct.)

Does anybody have any experience from their own Japanese Duo-R usage in the USA? I'd really like to avoid getting a 120VAC/100VAC step down transformer.

I use Japanese power supplies all the time and I've never had any problems. The Jag power supply wouldn't work anyway since the tip is too big to fit in the Duo-R.

Well, I could splice the right size connector, but I'd rather not hack up the power supply as it is sent to me by the ebay seller. At least not yet.

As others say Japanese supplies are fine in US or Canada, I have a Japanese NEO GEO CD with original PSU no problem!

I guess nobody's too concerned about it.

Well, I will have a look at the power supply when I get it. Maybe it'll say 100-120VAC, and maybe it is a regulated power supply. I can check that with my multimeter.

If anybody else has any experience, please chime in!

I just got a very nice email from the seller in Japan. At the end, it says that the system can take a Genesis 2 power supply. I have one of those, so I'm all set. The range of voltages is quite large, so either the system has a big tolerance range, or there is an internal voltage regulator.

The Genesis power supply is 10VDC at 850mA. That's barely over the 800mA minimum outlined below, but whatever. However, I am a little concerned. My multimeter was reading it as 13VDC. It's not regulated. But it's probably okay. The voltage will probably drop with current draw, and my Genesis 2 has been fine for nearly 15 years.

Anyway, here's the email.

Refer 1:

How to change region mode between PC Engine and

TurboGrafx-16.

Refer

2:

Safe suspend for CD-ROM gaming.

Refer 3:

How to solve for

CD-ROM drive unit

issue.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/moremaco/slv.htm

Refer 4:

As you

see, this console has been fine work in Japan. But, when console arrived

oversea, somehow there is the case that does not turn power by unknown

origin. In this case, please try it with following some AC adapters.

---

SEGA (Genesis2, MegaDrive2, CDX)

--- SONY (PSone, PS2 slim).

--- Other

products (Voltage between about DC7V and DC10V. An electric current above

800mA.)

-doujindance

I just got a very nice email from the seller in Japan. At the end, it says that the system can take a Genesis 2 power supply. I have one of those, so I'm all set. The range of voltages is quite large, so either the system has a big tolerance range, or there is an internal voltage regulator.

I purchased my DUO-R from a user over at pcenginefx.com

It came with a Genesis 2 power supply and its been working great for a long time now.

Thanks for the info, everybody. I got the system today, and it came with a 100-240VAC power supply. I lucked out. There's no need to use my Genesis 2's power supply at all.

The power supply is 10VDC, but it appears to be a regulated power supply. It's only a slight bit over 10VDC. I think it will be okay in the long run, but I might still go find a 9VDC power supply to replace it regardless.

• 2 months later...

As you know, these older systems did not have Hard Drives, sophisticated multi-core microprocessors, or other ridiculously delicate components. As a consequence, I've found that within 30 percent of the target Amps and Voltage is usually fine. I've used Genesis power supplies to power virtually every console I've run into, with no problems (sometimes the plug has to be adapted).

Edited by Majestic_Lizard