IGNORED

Galaga

tz101

OK, why did Atari release Galaxian for 5200 at a time when Galaga was already ruling the arcades? Was there any valid logic in that decision?

This begs the question: Is Galaga possible on the 5200 system, and why has no one tried to do it to date?

At the time of the 5200's release, Galaga was still a relatively new game. I don't believe they would have had enough time to prepare a port of Galaga in time for the system's launch. Meanwhile, they already had Galaxian for their 8-bit computers, and could quickly and easily rework that into a 5200 version.

Is Galaga possible on the 5200? I think it could be done. If the 5200 had stuck around in the market longer, then Atari probably would've attempted a conversion at some point.

I'm going to guess because it was done on the 7800, it could be done just as well on the 5200.

Well, hmmm...

The 7800 can do a lot more sprites than the 5200 and Galaga needs them when the bugs are flying (not in formation). Those sprites would have to be done in software and at a lower color depth. So I'm sure it could be done, but I'm doubtful it could be done as well.

Galaga was planned for the Atari 5200 and it a rumor mill game matter of fact. Atari planned to have Galaga as a multi platform game with it being on the 2600, 5200, and the 7800. Galaga was on Atari's Master part Number listing for the Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800.

The CX part number for the 5200 rumor version of Atari 5200 is #CX5228.

Edited by 8th lutz

I think there is a homebrew that is pretty much Galaga, isn't there?

Answering my own question....

There is a homebrew called "galactic chase" that is a Galaga clone for the 5200.

The rom should be in the "other" collection here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/180007-atari-5200-ultimate-sd-cartridge-roms-project/page__view__findpost__p__2251958

There is a homebrew called "galactic chase" that is a Galaga clone for the 5200.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/180007-atari-5200-ultimate-sd-cartridge-roms-project/page__view__findpost__p__2251958

I don't think that was ever converted to the 5200.

Allan

There was a conversion of the spectrum game galactic chase for the 400/800, but its a galaxian clone not galaga.

Edited by TwiliteZoner

There was a conversion of the spectrum game galactic chase for the 400/800, but its a galaxian clone not galaga.

I think somebody was trying to convert it but never finished it. I don't think it would even start on a real 5200.

Allan

Your right. My mistake. It is a Galaxian clone, not Galaga.

It has been converted to the 5200, I played it this morning....

It would be a better game if the controls were not too sensitive. There is not enough "dead zone".

Makes using the analog controller a pain.

If you grab the roms in the link I posted above and have a USB or SD Atarimax cart you can play it.

I take that back.

It does work.

Just tried it on USB cart and it works fine. I don't know if there are any bugs but it seemed OK for the five minutes I just played it. I wished the PAUSE button worked but it's nice to have another game. I should make a label for it.

Allan

I take that back.

It does work.

Just tried it on USB cart and it works fine. I don't know if there are any bugs but it seemed OK for the five minutes I just played it. I wished the PAUSE button worked but it's nice to have another game. I should make a label for it.

Allan

Cool.

I haven't tried to play it with the masterplay yet, but I think I'll enjoy it more when using it.

I always liked Galaxian better than Galaga. I do like Galaga 90 for the Turbgrafx though. :)

I take that back.

It does work.

Allan

Cool.

I haven't tried to play it with the masterplay yet, but I think I'll enjoy it more when using it.

I always liked Galaxian better than Galaga. I do like Galaga 90 for the Turbgrafx though. :)

Works great with the Atariage adapter. I'll try it later with the Analog stick.

Allan

• 3 years later...

Hmm, I was gonna buy Battlezone. It uses both controllers like Robotron and Space Dungeon right? Is it really that bad?

Yes it does, or you can play with one controller.

It's not bad at all, it just needs a little polish. I think the proto is like 95% complete.

• 7 months later...