IGNORED

BBCS

tjb

• 2 years later...

Back in the day, I tried to write my own BBS program, ATARDIS, in TurboBasic. I don't know that I ever got it to work 100% or not, but basically the idea was, it would allow people on Commodore 64 PETASCII, IBM PC ANSI, or ATASCII, or just plain ASCII, to call in, and the color codes and function keys would be translated properly.

I did actually get as far as to have the thing to have threaded message boards, thanks to the use of NOTE and POINT commands. This is a feature of the very popular Color 64 BBS in the day as well ... I used to call one of those back in the late 80's so the design inspired me.

I had posted an incomplete version of it on here, but I've found a more complete version on the floppies downstairs, I should be posting that up soon. All it has at the moment is the facility for posting and e-mail, not for door games or file transfers.

I had posted an incomplete version of it on here, but I've found a more complete version on the floppies downstairs, I should be posting that up soon. All it has at the moment is the facility for posting and e-mail, not for door games or file transfers.

Please post it! It would be great to get a nice BBS package running on the Atari 800

Please post it! It would be great to get a nice BBS package running on the Atari 800

Back in the early days of the BF, I ran Forem XL on an 800. You just need a copy of the program (which I should have) and a OSS Basic XL cart.

Back to BBCS, does anyone have experience with setting this up? I'm looking for a printed manual - a pdf would be optimal, but anything i don't have to extract from disks would be great.

Yes I have set it up back in the 80's. Honestly, it was probably the most flaky system I ever attempted to run (flaky = crashed a lot and did strange things from time to time). YMMV.

Yes I have set it up back in the 80's. Honestly, it was probably the most flaky system I ever attempted to run (flaky = crashed a lot and did strange things from time to time). YMMV.

I'm hoping to use BBCS with the Corvus Disk system. What would it take to debug the stability issues with BBCS?

Edited by fibrewire

Disassembling the code, and subsequently fixing the issues. It's all in machine language.

I've gotta tell ya, after 30 years of being away from Atari BASIC, and looking back at it, after spending my life in 40 or so other languages of varying structure, syntax, and philosophy...

...my god, 99.9% of BASIC code is FUGLY. and the BBSes written in it (AMIS, FoReM, etc.) are a veritable bowl of pasta. How did _anyone_ ever maintain it?

-Thom

• Like 2

So..... since Video61 is holding old software hostage that isn't even commercially viable for a planned project to whip up a cart version that might sell 2 copies, what's the best BBS package available that supports an 850 that can be obtained without paying Lance?

I never hosted an A8 BBS back in the day, when I got into BBS's the ST was a more popular machine. My dad ran a Michtron-based board in our basement for years called ARMUDIC for the local Atari user's group NOVATARI.

Is there any BBS software that plays nice with SDX and an 850? What about Carina or Nite-Lite? I don't have any OSS BASIC carts so that limits my options some. I just want to play around.

So..... since Video61 is holding old software hostage that isn't even commercially viable for a planned project to whip up a cart version that might sell 2 copies, what's the best BBS package available that supports an 850 that can be obtained without paying Lance?

Don't discount Lance just yet! I believe a surprising turn of events is just around the corner...

I never hosted an A8 BBS back in the day, when I got into BBS's the ST was a more popular machine. My dad ran a Michtron-based board in our basement for years called ARMUDIC for the local Atari user's group NOVATARI.

Is there any BBS software that plays nice with SDX and an 850? What about Carina or Nite-Lite? I don't have any OSS BASIC carts so that limits my options some. I just want to play around.

I ran BBS for many years. BBS Express! version 1.0 serial 2296 (registered). BBS Express! was rock solid binary, by Keith Ledbetter. I guess Video 61 owns it now.

I'm looking at my registered label right now. It seems there are 835/1030/XM301(300 baud) version and 850 version. Mine is 850 version, which I used with a 1 meg MIO and a 2400 (I think) baud modem

I bought BBCS from Antic. It was so bad, that I destroyed everything I got about it, vowing never to share it or use it, it was/is worthless. It was in BASIC was why I bought it, thinking

I could tinker with the code. I used Sparta 3.2d, so it works well with BBS Express!.

Lemme see.

Bottom line. If Lance owns BBS Express!, I think he does, you should try to get a copy from him. I'm not putting a copy here, at least right now.

ForemXE is a possibility. I played with FXE recently, I have a BASIC XE cart, so I can run it. Carina is a possibility, I'm not familiar with it. Never

heard of Nite-Lite. I think Tom Hunt worked with Carina, so it may be stable.

Edited by russg

Yep, I ran a BBS too back in the early 80's to mid 90's. Tried AMIS, BBCS, FoReM, BBS Express! and finally BBS Express Pro!

I recently found my BBS Express Pro! V2 update floppies :) It would be nice if Lance did release it to the public...

I recall BBCS had an update to fix some problems, but I don't remember if it fixed every issue?

BBS Express Pro was solid... there isn't much doubt that it was the cream of the crop. Still, some pretty decent BBS's used Forem XL and heavily modified versions of AMIS.

There must be enough legit registered versions of BBS Express Pro out there to get one at a reasonable price. My disks simply have a number stamoped on the original disks... I'm sure that Keith's original customer database is long gone.

SDX is going to be the killer here. I don't personally know of any BBS that runs on it. Maybe someone else does??

Carina and BBS:Express 850 are nice choices for use with SD 3.x. Carina can be easily modified since it is BASIC.

• Like 1

SDX is going to be the killer here. I don't personally know of any BBS that runs on it. Maybe someone else does??

Carina and BBS:Express 850 are nice choices for use with SD 3.x. Carina can be easily modified since it is BASIC.

I may give Carina a shot. I have an IDEPlus. I can probably set up a bootable SDX 3 partition if it won't run under SDX 4. Does Carina support ANSI as well or just ATASCII?

How does BBS Express compare to BBS Express Pro? Are they similar packages?

As far as a modem, I plan to use a Precidia iPocket232 serial<->ethernet box with modem emulation. Similar to Lantronix UDS but a bit cheaper. We use a lot of them at work.

--Kevin

Maybe you were thinking of Oasis IV (4.2)? That one I can't find...

I will search through my floppy archive ASAP and see what I can find. I don't expect to find anything rare since all my software came from a small shop Rubber City Atari, or BBSes which were local to the 216 area code in the late 80s.

I will search through my floppy archive ASAP and see what I can find. I don't expect to find anything rare since all my software came from a small shop Rubber City Atari, or BBSes which were local to the 216 area code in the late 80s.

That would be cool :) I checked my main collection and have 2 versions of Oasis Jr., one public and a commercial one where he charged $15 for it...