IGNORED

Does the Sega Saturn's internal memory really run on that CR2032?

Animan

I've had the CR2032 batteries in my Saturn run out several times, and everytime I change them out, the save data still remains on the Saturn. From what I've heard, the save data is supposed to be erased when the battery is removed/runs out.

Can someone clear this up for me?

I've had the CR2032 batteries in my Saturn run out several times, and everytime I change them out, the save data still remains on the Saturn. From what I've heard, the save data is supposed to be erased when the battery is removed/runs out.

Can someone clear this up for me?

I am not sure how it works either. In the past I assumed you lost the data after your battery died--that's how it worked on my first system (later circle-button model). On my most-recently acquired system though, I've been able to swap out the battery and still retain the data. It's an earlier oval-button system. Needless to say, with these differing experiences, I don't trust it. I keep all of my most-recent saves on my Action Replay, just in case.

Are you keeping the Saturn plugged in when you swap the battery?

If not, then there must be a capacitor in the Saturn which will retain enough juice to let you swap it out.

Yeah, it could be that.

FYI, my Saturn is a "round button" Model 2 manufactured on July 1996.

I changed the battery on mine, I leave it plugged in, and I STILL lose my saves every time I shut the thing off. I'm constantly doing the Action Replay Shuffle.

That's what happened to me on my first system I got new in the '90s. I had to backup my data before powering off, always, even if the battery was replaced. It doesn't do that (yet) on the system I have now.

I recently purchused a Saturn with a dead battery, I tried rechargeing them by keeping it on. While the battery did not charge, I was able to keep the saved settings for awile, before it finally reset. Seems it can last a short while without power.

The battery in the Saturn is a CR2032. That type of battery is not rechargeable. The Dreamcast uses a 2032, which is rechargeable.