IGNORED

Bill Kunkel, The Game Doctor, Passed Away

I just saw the post on J2Games.com (http://www.j2games.c...hp?topic=6356.0) mentioning that Bill Kunkel, known to many of us as The Game Doctor, passed away yesterday. Details are sketchy at best at this time.

Bill was a forerunner in many fields, including comics, wrestling magazines and gaming magazines where he arguably created the genre with Arnie Katz and later refined it with both Arnie and Joyce {Worley}.

He was also a forerunner and trailblazer with preservation, he gave the founders of Out-of-Print Archive permission to archive his works, which we have done many of already with many more to go. Bill was open to the reasons for an archive like OoPA and openly supported us at every opportunity.

I was fortunate enough to interview Bill while with Retromags.com, http://www.retromags...__1#entry20532.

We will miss you Bill. You rocked the world at every step you took. We will remember you every time we open a VG&CE issue and see your column, or read a review you wrote, or a forum post on the web.

• Like 1

I just saw the post on J2Games.com (http://www.j2games.c...hp?topic=6356.0) mentioning that Bill Kunkel, known to many of us as The Game Doctor, passed away yesterday. Details are sketchy at best at this time.

Bill was a forerunner in many fields, including comics, wrestling magazines and gaming magazines where he arguably created the genre with Arnie Katz and later refined it with both Arnie and Joyce {Worley}.

He was also a forerunner and trailblazer with preservation, he gave the founders of Out-of-Print Archive permission to archive his works, which we have done many of already with many more to go. Bill was open to the reasons for an archive like OoPA and openly supported us at every opportunity.

I was fortunate enough to interview Bill while with Retromags.com, http://www.retromags...__1#entry20532.

We will miss you Bill. You rocked the world at every step you took. We will remember you every time we open a VG&CE issue and see your column, or read a review you wrote, or a forum post on the web.

That seriously sucks. Electronic Games was the first videogame magazine I ever bought. That and Electronic Fun with Computers and Games fueled my obsession with games and programming that has lasted my entire life.

R.I.P., Bill.

Sad to hear. I couldn't have been all that old - maybe 60 ? I will always remember The Game Doctor from the Electronic Games days...

Bill was 61 years old. There are slightly conflicting reports on why he passed away at this time. I have read that he fell and bumped his head, and also read elsewhere that he died of a heart attack. Either way, it is sad to know he is gone and we won't ever see another installment of The Game Doctor column anywhere.

The Game Doctor embodied game writing to me as a kid -- more than I knew, in fact, because he wrote many of the other EG articles under pseudonyms. He was that magazine, and it was inseparable from the initial fascination with video games for many of us '80s kids.

The interview with him is still the only one on my and Adam's website; it's the only one I ever sought, which might say something.

And what a kind man, too.

Thanks for everything, Bill.

Edited by Chris++

• 2 months later...

I cant beleive I missed this! I just found out today. I immediately came here to search for the thread and add my belated grief. Electronic Games was the first magazine I read as a kid. I loved his columns and I personally thanked him and talked over email years ago. I also think his book was excellent and he did a lot of work out there in writing. RIP Bill.