IGNORED

HSC8 Round 15: Qix & ROM

therealbountybob

5200 QIX version allowed? :ponder:

Not this time (unless it's the only version you have and cannot download the A8 ver) ;)

RKade - how are you creating your screen shots as they are black unless I open them up? Remeber they are optional if that makes things easier for you :)

Filler Up

Qix

73k 78k 110k ... several hours later 317,345 :)

Raid Over Moscow

after a couple of goes got to the Kremlin but didn't kill everything, had fun smashing up stuff here. I went for a quick launch of lots of planes, stayed low on the horiz scroll stage and popped up to skip over things... fun game apart from the map bit :sleep:

I've updated post 1

- checkout the bonus points goodness folks :!:

- the xex ver from Fandal and others seem to have many bugs (when used on mydos 130XE anyway) the atarionline.pl v2 of the v2 seems perfect. 1 version worked ok and when you pressed pause the sparks stopped and you carried on but the cursor didn't stay on the line :ponder:

post-19705-0-29164400-1315417377_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-85137400-1315417383_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-39749200-1315417390_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-65852800-1315417396_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-18803900-1315417404_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-17242700-1315417411_thumb.jpg

YES! I'm psyched that there are bonuses for the other two levels on ROM. Here's my 'advanced' score: 234,340!

post-9712-0-93892300-1315443428_thumb.png

I'm going to keep playing on Advanced, until I'm able to get out. I wasn't able to kill the last robot and lost everyone in the blast.

The big differences between beginner and advanced:

1. You can crash your plane into the ground, so be careful when you go low to avoid a missile.

2. Fighter jets come at you head on in the city scenes.

3. You have to knock off 4 robots in the reactor core.

4. Higher scores for everything you blow up.

I'm pressing print screen and cropping in MSPaint. If I don't need screens, I won't use them. Cropping is hard when you have to zoom because of bad eyes. I'm going back to try and improve my score :)

edit: Darn, looks like I'll have to take screens if I'm going to go for the bonuses (I won't win but still...) How can I efficiently get screens without cropping?

edit2: 39695 on Qix.

Edited by RKade

I'm pressing print screen and cropping in MSPaint. If I don't need screens, I won't use them. Cropping is hard when you have to zoom because of bad eyes. I'm going back to try and improve my score :)

edit: Darn, looks like I'll have to take screens if I'm going to go for the bonuses (I won't win but still...) How can I efficiently get screens without cropping?

I use Altirra and I just press Alt+F10. Saves a good sized screenshot. I forget what the screenshot command is in Atari800Win (F12, maybe?)

I use Altirra and I just press Alt+F10. Saves a good sized screenshot. I forget what the screenshot command is in Atari800Win (F12, maybe?)

Atari800winplus is F10 to save a screenshot. :)

Hi RKade seriously screenshots are optional if that helps you (unless you beat one of my scores check rules sub section 4e.2 ;) )

Failed on Qix, made progress on ROM got into the frisbee part, after failing this bit it returned me to the Kremln where I wasn't sure what to do to get back in - ok now I'm going to read the instrucitons on post 3. [you can aim the frisbee DOH!]

ROM I scored less despite gettting much futher - managed most stages by launching only 1-3 planes and keeping on the ground the entire time apart from where necessary hopping over stuff. The enemy copter seems to be stupid enough to be shot on the ground if you move up and down. The stage is short so just survive till the end if you want to get further in the game.

As the scoring seems to reward bad play I've introduced a 1pt bonus for completing it and 2pts for completing advanced and 3pts for completing Suicidal See Post#1 for details. That should keep deteacher busy ;)

Qix Level 1 hi score (1 man) including bonus, yes include it: 43,264 ;)

post-19705-0-36256400-1315557652_thumb.jpg

ok, i got 98% on screen 1 :')

outlined:

post-24811-0-71950700-1315592931_thumb.jpg

original:

post-24811-0-16601400-1315592912_thumb.jpg

wish i had gotten the percentage in the pic, i didnt realize it was a bonus point, but i thought it rightous, as i usually get 90-95% on the first screen...

sloopy.

Yeeha! I actually own Qix!

Qix owns you, and you, yes and you as well, no not you :D

Hey stranger :thumbsup:

blinking heck deteacher... I just completed beginner on ROM well I thought I did, had some message about no planes returned (84k) so felt bad and had another go 93,870... then had a crack on Advanced, didn't go so well (especially if you live in Houston - my bad :D ) a few goes later I got 43,700 kept getting taken out by the fast jets :x

post-19705-0-52939100-1315645183_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-64879000-1315645192_thumb.jpg

ROM Tip stay on the ground for most of the horiz scroll stage on beginner.

Qix :x :x seem to have lost the mojo... so off to the more relaxing Fill'er Up II for todays ROM accompaniment :)

zylon - yes think it is harder than the 5200 port, esp as you only have 3 men - both are excellent games :)

1st tables

Fill'er Up 2

1st orpheuswaking 33262 3pts

2nd therealbountybob 32054 2pts

3rd Philsan 14334 2pts

4th roadrunner 12164 2pts

Raid Over Moscow

1st Deteacher 120190 19pts*

A:345,200 S:494,850

2nd therealbountybob 93870 12pts*

A:43,700

3rd McKong 35010 10pts

4th roadrunner 800 9pts

5th orpheuswaking 80 8pts :twisted:

Qix

1st orpheuswaking 638287 13pts*

2nd Deteacher 325837 11pts

3rd therealbountybob 317345 11pts* Lv1 43,264

4th McKong 109374 9pts

5th Goochman 80714 8pts

6th zylon 72967 7pts

7th justin case 67010 6pts

8th bluecat 64503 5pts

9th sloopy 58879 5pts* Lv1 98% (someone count those pixels ;) )

10th roadrunner 40089 3pts

11th RKade 39695 2pts

12th 4Ks 18684 2pts

* Checkout Post #1 for all the bonus points. If anyone needs any help please post.

Chuck Norris split the Qix :!:

blinking heck deteacher... I just completed beginner on ROM well I thought I did, had some message about no planes returned (84k) so felt bad and had another go 93,870... then had a crack on Advanced, didn't go so well (especially if you live in Houston - my bad :D ) a few goes later I got 43,700 kept getting taken out by the fast jets :x

I would say that you still "completed" the game even if "all pilots were lost." You just don't get the mondo bonus points at the end. Thoughts, everyone?

Here are some tips for Advanced and Suicidal:

The fast jets start coming at you when you start reaching the end of the city scene. It's all about timing and knowing when they're about to come out. Firing as soon as they appear will usually take them out before they can fire on you. Yes, just stay low (but not too low) and don't even bother with the missiles. They're not worth the risk as you don't score many points for them. Buildings are where the big points are.

Destroying the silos isn't much harder in advanced, but it's pretty brutal in suicidal. What I do is set my altitude, fly across a silo and if my jet flashes pink, I know I'm at the right level. If it doesn't flash, then I adjust the height and fly by again. Once I'm lined up, I'll fly across and time my shot so I nail the silo without stopping my flyby. Again, practice makes perfect.

Attacking the castle is pretty easy, once you know how high to aim your mortar launcher. Take out the enemy soldiers first. The tank isn't much of a threat, so work around him. After you take out the soldiers, take out the doors and the various parts of the castle for big points. As enemy soldiers start to respawn, take them out. Once you've destroyed the castle and the doors, take out the tank.

Inside the reactor, it's all about practice. Know how to position yourself and your angle. Once you get it down, this part isn't too hard either. In advanced and suicidal, you will run out of discs and be forced to attack the castle again, but if you get good and knocking out the robots, you should only have to attack the castle twice in advanced and 3 times in suicidal.

One of the hardest things to do in suicidal is getting your jets out of the hangar. When it takes off, it will take off at a random angle and speed. Gain control of your jet before you open the doors. Be ready to fly out quickly because the doors don't stay open for long.

Hope these tips help. ROM was one of my faves on the Atari 8-bit and C64 back in the day. :)

Edited by Deteacher

I have to remove my Filler Up scores because I just realized I was playing Fill and not Filler Up II. I guess when I went to click on Filler Up II, I must have accidentally clicked on the game above it in my menu.

I'll play Filler Up II tomorrow and post new scores. Sorry for the screw up. :(

Edited by Deteacher