IGNORED

1Up claims Lynx a "worst console?"

LynxVGL

I wonder if these people ever had any actual hands-on experience with some of these systems, heh.

If they had experience it wouldn't be on the list. :P I always thought of it as nothing great(because of lists like those) up until I actually bought one for shits and giggles... and loved it. :lust: The Lynx is one of my favorite handhelds now.

Yeah, not the first time I have seen this from the company, They bashed it quite often in EGM when games like Rygar and Ninja Gaiden released and had to point out that there were versions of the games on the Lynx which were "Chunky and Clunky like everything else released for the system". Morons, all of them. I still can't figure out what a "Chunky" video game is unless it's with Peanut Butter. LOL

Hey, I dont find the text thaaaat bad. It´s not really unvafourable for the LYnx. The author lists the known to nowadays shortcomings and the "for-kiddies-then-shortcomings" (no popular licenses, everyone had GB etc) in a pretty balanced manner to my understanding.

For me it sounds as if the author, like all of us here, would have wanted much more success for the Lynx because of its advantages, which are also listed.

Anyone who is a serious gamer will look elsewhere from the above list, and find far more favourable mentions of the Lynx.

Even if a sh1tty list (which this one isn´t IMHO) brings up the very existence of a console to a new reader then the list is ok to me, even if I heavily contradict to what they say about it :)

And I would really love to get a Virtual Boy! :)

Edited by Atari_afternoon

When 1UP launched awhile back, it was part of my online Gamesite routine. Lately any type of well thought out and written Game Journalism has faded away. If you read the comments on the list there are some interesting nuggets about the writer and editorial policies of the Site. I've deleted the bookmark from my browser.

I'm not going to click on the link but any site that says the Lynx is one of the "worst" consoles loses credibility immediately. There's a difference between "underutilized" and "worst", but I guess "worst" gets more page hits.

That entire list is a joke - e.g. the Virtual Boy was a flop, so it must be on this list, for being a flop makes it a bad console, right? Has the guy who made up that list ever played one? I did on the Gamescom and liked it (and believe me, I am not a Nintendo fanboy) for it's stunning 3D effect.

There are far worse consoles: "consoles" like CD-i and Bandai Playdia - barely capable of running anything else than FMV stuff - should also be on that list. IMHO all of those based on existing computer hardware should be, they are just pointless and were usually overpriced. Not to mention there's a shitload of consoles from the late 1970s and early 1980s that are far worse than anything on the list.

Thorsten

• Like 2

they are entitled to their opinions but it seems to be based on revisionist history

i am in agreement with the gamecom and virtual boy even the 5200 and jaguar i'm confused why they are combining consoles and portables

heck i would have thrown in the commodore 64 game sysytem as it was basically a complete c64 - the keyboard sure the cdi stunk but so did the 3do

and as awesome as the neo geo was it was extremely rare due to its expense

the story of the conneticut leather company making a video game and selling cabbage patch dolls is almost as interesting as

minnesoda mining and manufactuting making post it notes

• Like 1

Did you see this?

http://www.1up.com/features/ten-most-useless-consoles

1Up lists the Lynx in one of those hideous "worst" console lists. I don't think I have ever seen the Lynx on a list like this. I was shocked.

But can you disagree with any of the points they make about it?

Do any of the points qualify it as a "worst" console? That is, does the text justify the label?

Did you see this?

1Up lists the Lynx in one of those hideous "worst" console lists. I don't think I have ever seen the Lynx on a list like this. I was shocked.

Do any of the points qualify it as a "worst" console? That is, does the text justify the label?

I thought the one about the very low sales & small library did, yes. And that's without even mentioning the screens on them.

If you include enough systems, at some point, every system will be included on a Top ___ Crappy Systems list.

Did you see this?

Actually I do. Claiming system architecture was hard to program for is a joke. In the late 80's early 90's getting an Amiga Dev kit was not exactly hard. Atari Corp. fumbled the ball (per usual) on the Lynx. Nothing more. If Atari would have had marketing muscle, and not poisoned 3rd Party Dev's, I think the Lynx would have survived much longer. My Lynx has never "chewed through batteries like candy." I always thought the Lynx 1 was not uncomfortable to hold, or heavy either.

Listing 3 Atari Consoles on the List just shows the author is strongly biased. What, you put the Lynx, 5200 and Jag on, but don't have room for the 7800 or XEGS? The author lists the Lynx on the list because "The Lynx makes its way onto this list not because of any of its own inherent shortcomings, but simply because it was never popular. " By that reasoning the 7800 and XEGS should be there too. It's sloppy writing by someone who has never played the console. I doubt the author ever played Blue Lightning or Chips Challenge. Klax on the Lynx is STUNNING. And the Lynx-com setup wasn't matched on handhelds until WiFi came along.

These are my opinions based on playing the system, and not just looking it up on Wikipedia. Like 90% of the crap on the 'net, the article it isn't journalism, it's a barely informed editorial.

(NOTE: I'm not claiming the 7800 is a "Worst System" because I've never played one. I only know about the crash of the system sales, again due to Atari Corp. holding the Console back for launch, and then a weak response to Nintendo. Same goes for the XEGS, but I do know my 8-bit Atari Computers.)

Edited by LynxVGL

I get a kick out of ridiculous 360 fanboys who think since they personally haven't experienced a problem it must not exist. I was reading the posts and someone pointed out, rightfully so, that based on hardware failure the 360 should have made the list. Fanboy then inserts 2 cents declaring how long his worked and that disks only get scratched by the system if it isn't level. WHAT FREAKIN EVER! My 360s (plural) scratched and BURNED games all from a super well ventilated horizontal position. I went through 4 before giving up. AND EVERYTIME THEY HAD TO MOVE MY CONTENT THEY WOULD SCREW SOMETHING UP! To this day there is over 100.00 in content listed as "unknown game" in my download history that ms "moved" for me to my replacement systems. Well its not unknown to me! Joust, Contra, and Symphony of the Night are just a few of my purchase casualties. But whatever, I WILL NOT CALL THEIR AWFUL, WORTHLESS TECH SUPPORT AGAIN NOR WILL I BUY ANOTHER MS CONSOLE AGAIN! I spent more time listening to some jerk read a script or just be on hold listening to the soundtrack to Kameo than I did playing the system. Oh yeah, their techs... they also take phone orders for Pizza Hut! I heard it in the background on numerous occassions.

My top 5 worst consoles:

XBOX 360 - The damn thing is a fire hazzard and their customer service is a shameful display of corporate neglect.

CD-i - A game library that Satan probably uses to torture the damned.

3DO - Just because I would get chewed out by insane customers when I was in high school because they didn't like fmv game of the week... we had wealthy regulars who bought everything that came out for it, but for som ereason thought we programmed it and shouldbe responsible if a game sucked. If we didn't order the next fmv game they still got angry even though they hated the last 5.

Actually, three is all I got. I don't hate any system aside from the 360 really.

My favs though...

NES- don't have to justify this.

SATURN- ROLLING STAAAAARRRRT! Capcom Fighters with 4 meg cart help too.

32XwCD- Mock all you want, but I still play Afterburner Complete, Space Harrier, Star Wars Arcade, and MKII all the freakin time.

7800- Got one as a kid, played the hell out of it.. still do.

Lynx- Got it new for Christmas and loved it ever since! Pac Land, Ninja Gaiden, Blue Lightning, StunnRunner, Toki, and California Games = killer aps.

Don't talk 'bout my Lynx 1up!

Sorry, I talk too much.

My favs though...

NES- don't have to justify this.

SATURN- ROLLING STAAAAARRRRT! Capcom Fighters with 4 meg cart help too.

32XwCD- Mock all you want, but I still play Afterburner Complete, Space Harrier, Star Wars Arcade, and MKII all the freakin time.

7800- Got one as a kid, played the hell out of it.. still do.

Lynx- Got it new for Christmas and loved it ever since! Pac Land, Ninja Gaiden, Blue Lightning, StunnRunner, Toki, and California Games = killer aps.

Don't talk 'bout my Lynx 1up!

Fantastic choices, friend!

I had one of the initial batch of PS3's that came out. Lasted 18 months before it overheated. Called Sony and they wanted 150 UK Pounds to fix it (AKA - send out a refurb).

I loved the PS3, it does a lot of stuff, but given that I own an Atari 2600 VCS made in 1979 - which has never been repaired - it takes the biscuit to have a PS3 get too hot and crap out in such a short period of time.

This was a known problem with the earlier models, so why weren't Sony offering to fix it for free?

I won't even go into why the system used such a weird subtitle format for streamed movies, along with a cryptic menu system that seemed as though is was based on eqyptian heiroglyphics......

Yeah, I loved my PS3 - but I took the wise decision to simply dump the thing. Sure I miss a few games, but honestly I won't buy one again.

I bought my first Lynx last night - can't wait to get my hands on it!

The only way someone doesn't dig the Lynx is if they take it out of the context of the time it was sold in. If you had a green screen lcd Gameboy and a friend shows you a Lynx running Blue Lightning or Stunn Runner you pee yourself. No it isn't a PSP or a 3DS, but those systems weren't possible in 89. The Lynx was the Neo Geo of portables. It was pricey, portable, powerful, and excessive; it was badass. People see one now and think, well that its neat and quaint, well no, in 89 that was badass. Ninja Gaiden arcade and Hard Drivin' on an f'n portable that came out in 89! The Sega Genesis released the same year. The Genesis was a console and lacked the hardware scaling capabilities of Atari's portable.

It had good games too. Everyone had problems getting content due to Nintendo's licensing practices and Sega had their fingers on the pulse of the arcade gamers of the time so Atari was limited to in house titles for the most part. A Lynx Afterburner or Golden Axe would have rocked no doubt; as would Forgotten Worlds or Strider could Atari have courted some major third parties.

Still, Lynx rocked. Ninja Gaiden 3. Gameboy my arse.

Edited by gorfcadet