IGNORED

Sugested first 2600

Sypran

Hello I finally want (and have the space to) to get a 2600 and start a collection. I was wondering what you guys would suggest when it comes to the different 2600 models.

Many of you would probably say the H6, But I am not a collector and I just like something reliable.

On a further note what are the dimensions of the 6 and 4 switch models?

The six and four Switchers are the same size, about a foot deep and a bit more than a foot wide.

Any system is fine, but I'd suggest a Vader system. They tend to be newer and they look cool. Aren't expensive either.

But they are all reliable. Every one I've come across has worked, after some routine cleaning.

I second the Jr. For the average gamer this unit will be more reliable - the switches on the 4/6 switchers tend to get funky. Notably the select switch. And a LOT of 2600 games use the select switch.

More importantly, buy whichever is cheaper (all things like condition being equal).

I second the Jr. For the average gamer this unit will be more reliable - the switches on the 4/6 switchers tend to get funky. Notably the select switch. And a LOT of 2600 games use the select switch.

I heartedly disagree with you on the switch comment. The switches in the 4/6 switchers are hardcore, built back in a day when hardware was designed to last. Of the 4/6 switch Ataris I've rebuilt, most of which had been to hell before getting to me, I've only had intermittent problems with one switch. I cleaned it, and all was well. In contrast, the buttons on the 7800 and Jrs seem to fail much more often, and require replacement rather than being able to be repaired.

As far as the original question by the OP, just do a little research on the different models, and see which strikes your fancy. If you just want to play, the 7800 isn't a bad machine, and gives you access to both 2600 and 7800 games. You can also get the 2600 Harmony cart, which will allow you to play about all of the 2600 ROMS. Also, the Harmony 2 is supposed to be out soon, and is designed to play 7800 ROMS.

• Like 4

Get the cheapest working unit first! Then depending on what you like or dislike, use that to decide what all to get next.

I recommend the Light 6 first, or a Jr. then maybe a 7800.

7800 and Jr. have removable RF cable, nice for cleaning up after, just tuck tha cable behind the TV, instead of getting to the back if it is kinda builtin like mine.

BUT the 6 switch is exactly that. ALL 6 switches are easily accessible, very nice for games that use them as extra controls. And the 7800 is useless for those games.

Light 6 = Cheapest way to fully enjoy all 2600 games as intended.

Go with whatever you happen to find first, but make sure it works. If you have a choice of consoles, it's a tough call. Right now, I have a couple light sixers, a 4-switch woody, and a 7800. The 7800 won't play certain games because they don't fit properly. Later (red label) games are a bit snug in the sixers, but playable. However, one of the sixers won't play Ms.Pac-Man, I get a black screen w/no audio (game works fine elsewhere) the other sixer won't play Adventure properly (the enemies don't move and there are graphic oddities) but it works fine elsewhere. The 4-switch seems to play everything no problems.

I think one 2600 is pretty much as reliable as another. I have noticed that the Jr model doesn't seem to put out quite as nice an RF signal as some of the older models.

Personally I like the faux woodgrain look, but that's a personal taste.

A 7800's the best overall. I've had two and neither had any incompatibility issues that I noticed. They play Robot Tank just fine. The only problem was with M Network carts trying to pop back out of the cart slot, but leaning something with a little weight on them keeps them in, and not many are worth playing anyways.

I have owned my Vader since 1986 and it still works perfectly

However since I got my ColecoVision with the Expansion Module #1 I never really use my 2600 because I have to switch cabels

Its much easier to just pop in the Expansion Module and play since my CV is always hooked up

get a colecovision with an atari module for it. not only is the picture quality better but it is easy as hell to mod to have composite output. composite out mods picture/ color quality suck on an atari. then you can go to atarimax.com and get the sd cart for the colecovision and here for the harmony cart for the atari 2600.

Why is everyone so hung up on s-video and composite mods... the fucking thing came with a color/b&w switch and I remember hooking mine up with a butter knife many times.

You wanna play PS3, fine do it in Hi Res, but outputting a VCS to Hi Res cabling is like hooking up your old 78 speeds to a 7.1 surround sound system.... totally un-fucking-necessary... isn't it that 'old school' feeling your trying to relive...

God knows when I'm playing Asteroids the odd flicker or static on the screen is gonna TOTALLY ruin my experience and make me chuck my system out the window... <sarcasm intended here>

I remember my sisters hairdryer fuckin with my old Sega RF... it comes with the territory man... comes with the territory.

*EDIT After re-reading my post I realized I missed the point of my statement. If you plan to mod for hi-res, just use Stella, you'll save some money.

If you want a VCS experience get a a light sixer, the diff switches will be easily accessible and its cheaper than a heavy sixer.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

Why is everyone so hung up on s-video and composite mods... the fucking thing came with a color/b&w switch and I remember hooking mine up with a butter knife many times.

You wanna play PS3, fine do it in Hi Res, but outputting a VCS to Hi Res cabling is like hooking up your old 78 speeds to a 7.1 surround sound system.... totally un-fucking-necessary... isn't it that 'old school' feeling your trying to relive...

S-video and/or composite is not hi-res, just a cleaner signal. And even that isn't the only reason to do the mod. Many new TVs do not have a Tuner in them that can be used, so that is the best way to get a 2600 connected.

I agree with the people who suggest a 4 switch woody. They are the most plentiful, and are very reliable.

I'd recommend a vader just as much if you can find one. It's very similar, and also quite reliable.

The others are good as well, but consider that the jrs tend to be cheap and flimsy(but nice and small), and the heavy 6ers usually cost a bit more(although they have a clearer picture signal, due to the heavy shielding). And 7800s work fine, but some cannot accomodate the width of an Imagic cart without modification. And Imagic makes quite a few of the best 2600 games in my opinion, so you'd have to deface the carts or the 7800 in order to fit them into the cartridge slot.

Alright Thanks guys! The local shop I used to go to quite often said they had a 7800 in working condition with it's power cord for a nice price. So I'm going to jump for that.

Btw to Schizophretar yeah I don't consider myself a collector, I only buy games that look interesting and Id want to play. So I should have said "library" :P.

God knows when I'm playing Asteroids the odd flicker or static on the screen is gonna TOTALLY ruin my experience and make me chuck my system out the window... <sarcasm intended here>

I remember my sisters hairdryer fuckin with my old Sega RF... it comes with the territory man... comes with the territory.

*EDIT After re-reading my post I realized I missed the point of my statement. If you plan to mod for hi-res, just use Stella, you'll save some money.

If you want a VCS experience get a a light sixer, the diff switches will be easily accessible and its cheaper than a heavy sixer.

all i have is lcd tvs. and the one i play atari on has a funny issue with it playing on rf. for example when i play warlords everytime the ball hits a block my screen jumps about 4 inches. really annoying and unplayable. it is a neccessity for some of us who do not have an old school tv. if it wasnt for that i probably wouldnt care cause the picture quality on rf on that tv is pretty good looking. colecovisions do however have better quality as i stated than an actual atari 2600.