IGNORED

Virtual Jaguar 2.0.0 released!

Shamus

Hello,

Good to see the final 2.0.2 final release.

I tried the HUD in AvP: it's fixed! Nice work guys!

However I tried Cybermorph and the sound playback is about an octave higher that it should.

I found that weird since I heard a correct sound playback in release 410.

So I tried Cybermorph again on 410 and the sound playback was also about an octave higher!

At this point I wondered what did I do to make it sound correct.

So after a few tests I found what makes Cybermorph sound right:

1 - Launch Virtual Jaguar.

2 - Launch Cybermorph: sound playback is an octave to high.

3 - Launch Downfall : "Reboo-oo--oo-oot!"

4 - Launch Cybermorph: sound playback is correct.

This behaviour is the same for all version of VJ I tried (2.0.0 final, 2.0.1final, 407, 409, 410, 2.0.2final).

And those 2 additional steps are also interesting:

5 - Launch AvP.

6 - Launch Cybermorph: sound playback is an octave higher again.

I hope that with this information you'll be able to make a nice bug fix for 2.0.3!

Edited by DrTypo
  • Like 3

Confirmed this, and it's got me scratching my head. I would have expected it to be right when launching with the Jaguar BIOS in front, but it's still an octave too high in that case as well. :P

Thanks for the bug report! :)

Just thought I'd throw this out there too, just in case anyone else is running into it: On my fast system, the sound playback steadily falls behind the emulation, sometimes by as much as a few seconds. Pausing the emulator in this state will show the screen as paused, but the sound will still be playing (if I let it go for a bit before pausing, it'll continue to play for a few seconds)!

Edited by Shamus
  • Like 1

Hello,

well I guess Shamus is already busy fixing that Cybermorph bug but I couldn't resist looking deeper into it.

By looking at log files and VJ code I found a few things.

First, Cybermorph is setting SCLK at 7. This divider is considered too low by VJ (it would lead to a rather high sampling rate) and doesn't compute a new sample rate.

This check is done in dac.cpp line 359. That's why Cybermorph is using whatever value was set before.

I tried to override this check and the result is horrible. The sound output is really high!

Downfall set SCLK at 27 (14840Hz sampling rate).

AvP set SCLK at 19 (20776Hz sampling rate).

Default value in VJ is 19 (dac.cpp, line 66).

Were does Cybermorph get its sampling rate?

I noticed that unlike Avp and Downfall, in Cybermorph the DSP uses the Jerry Timers.

In the Jaguar software reference documentation, it is written that timer 1 can be used for sample playback frequency and timer 2 for music tempo.

This is what Cybermorph is doing. Timer 1 prescaler is set to 130 and divider to 13. The resulting frequency is 26593900/((130+1)*(13+1)) = 14500 Hz, for a PAL system. Timer 2 is set for a frequency of about 200Hz, then the timer interrupts are enabled.

The timer 1 frequency is fairly close to the one used by Downfall. So by accident, Cybermorph happens to sound right after playing Downfall.

Well, all I can say is that VJ is not handling Jerry timer 1 interrupts correctly. Music tempo is good so timer 2 handling is OK.

The code in jerry.cpp is a bit a of mess and there is a comment about a regression in Cybermorph in the function handling PIT1 interrupts.

I attached the logs for those interested.

logs.zip

• Like 4

Yeah, it's yet another of those things that you would expect a cross-platform toolkit like Qt to take care of for you automagically, but it turns out to be platform specific. :P We'll see if we can get it sorted for the next rev or so, but in the meantime, here's something you can use for that purpose. :)

post-4305-0-41389100-1326599318.png

Yeah, it's yet another of those things that you would expect a cross-platform toolkit like Qt to take care of for you automagically, but it turns out to be platform specific. :P We'll see if we can get it sorted for the next rev or so, but in the meantime, here's something you can use for that purpose. :)

Cool. Done. :)

Skip, good catch. I've fixed the link in the original post. Can you please give me the exact error message you're receiving? I just tested on a Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard and it works fine.

Shamus, I was just wondering if r411 was any newer. I compiled my build from the correct source.

Can you please give me the exact error message you're receiving?

Here's what I believe is the relevant snippet from the error log:

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: QtOpenGL.framework/Versions/4/QtOpenGL

Referenced from: /Users/xxxxxxx/Downloads/virtualjaguar-1/virtualjaguar.app/Contents/MacOS/virtualjaguar

Reason: Incompatible library version: virtualjaguar requires version 4.8.0 or later, but QtOpenGL provides version 4.7.0

Can you please give me the exact error message you're receiving?

Here's what I believe is the relevant snippet from the error log:

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: QtOpenGL.framework/Versions/4/QtOpenGL

Referenced from: /Users/xxxxxxx/Downloads/virtualjaguar-1/virtualjaguar.app/Contents/MacOS/virtualjaguar

Reason: Incompatible library version: virtualjaguar requires version 4.8.0 or later, but QtOpenGL provides version 4.7.0

Looks like QT 4.8 isn't backwards compatible. I'll have to think about how I want to handle that in future builds, as I really need to be running 4.8 on my main box. Maybe I can compile from another build system I use for QMC2.

Anyways ... until I figure out a way around this, update QT on your system.

http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/qt-for-open-source-cpp-development-on-mac-os-x

• Like 3

Wow, I just installed it and it runs AWESOME... very smooth. I am VERY impressed with this... VERY impressed.

I'm curious though, do you guys know where I can get all of the ROMS? Or is there some way that I can pull the data off my carts that I have? I actually already own every single Jaguar game (like, even multiple versions of Cybermorph and whatever). The only thing I don't have is World Tour Racing, Gorf, and that $5,0000 one that pops up on ebay or something... forget what it's called. Battlesphere I think?

Just occured to me, is there some kind of rule against asking for ROMs? I can send pictures of all my cartridges or something if there's like a rule or some copyright thing. I'm totally on the up-and-up with software.

Thanks guys!

Todd