IGNORED

The many faces of Donkey Kong for Intellivision

cmart604

Did Coleco do this box variation with any of their other INTV games? Did Lady Bug, Carnival, etc have multiple variations?

Just curious.

Mendon

Yes, but not quite as prolific. Usually between 3-6 versions for the rest, including language variations.

Interesting.

What about the other 3rd party companies.... did Activision or Imagic ever have box variations?

Mendon

Activision had an international box version for Pitfall, Stampede and Happy Trails.

Imagic had one or two international versions for most of their games. Off the top of my head I think just Fathom and Truckin didn't have a second version. A couple of them had 2 extra boxes. Demon Attack has an art variation as well, with robot looking demons and then ones that looked more like Pteradactyls.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was going through some boxes today and came across a variation not referenced here. The front and sides of the box are identical to the North American box with the "plays like the real arcade game" text on front, but the backs differ slightly. On what I'm assuming is the later version, the text is spaced out better so as not to cause words to be split between two lines. Also, the 'plays like the arcade' is not present- maybe due to people complaining about the conversion of the the game to the Intellivision? Here's a picture:

post-400-0-19563400-1429124933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Super Bagman

Oooh, you never have to apologize for resurrecting threads in the Inty forums, particularly variation threads. Nice eye on the box back variation, now I'll have to check my stock.

A CBS/Coleco variations thread is well overdue from me, detailing all of the variations for all 8 games. Plus maybe in the not too distant future there will be another CBS/Coleco collectible ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for being so kind about my reviving a thread- when I did it I wasn't sure how folks would react. I'm slowly going through all my boxed games and I'll be glad to add any other variations I come across. I love the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) changes games went through during their production runs. Is there a site that covers variations?

I love the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) changes games went through during their production runs.

Oh, you'll do well here ;-)

Is one of them the one with the pic of DK on the front? I love the Coleco variations with the pics on the front. I have a chunk of them, but I need to see if I'm missing any. Then there's the CBS craziness.....

Is one of them the one with the pic of DK on the front? I love the Coleco variations with the pics on the front. I have a chunk of them, but I need to see if I'm missing any. Then there's the CBS craziness.....

Well if you'd plan that trip to Vancouver you could see them live. :) Lathe is going to be the second one to see my collection this coming weekend.

Well if you'd plan that trip to Vancouver you could see them live. :) Lathe is going to be the second one to see my collection this coming weekend.

Yup, all I have to do is travel 1300 miles (2100 km) between now and then. :-)

Don't worry, I'm bringing the wetsuit with the hole cut out of the bottom and bucket of soapy frogs.

Yup, all I have to do is travel 1300 miles (2100 km) between now and then. :-)

Don't worry, I'm bringing the wetsuit with the hole cut out of the bottom and bucket of soapy frogs.

Lol! Did you move to the Southwest since we last talked? :)

Lol! Did you move to the Southwest since we last talked? :)

Only for 27 hours. Work sent me to LA to help Toyota with some stuff.

At the moment, I'm in the lobby of the Miyako Hybrid Hotel, which is a very posh hotel with reasonable rates (and that says something since I rarely notice the difference between a 2 star and 4 star hotel room).

Only for 27 hours. Work sent me to LA to help Toyota with some stuff.

At the moment, I'm in the lobby of the Miyako Hybrid Hotel, which is a very posh hotel with reasonable rates (and that says something since I rarely notice the difference between a 2 star and 4 star hotel room).

Nice! You can see the updated Many Faces of DK on Saturday. :)

Is one of them the one with the pic of DK on the front?

Thanks for being so welcoming!

Both boxes have the 'Plays like the real arcade game' text on the front. I had originally theorized that they removed that language from the back of the box because Coleco's DK for Intellivision didn't evoke images of the arcade version, but if that's true then why remove it from the back of the box yet keep it on the front. Any thoughts?

• 5 years later...