[AQUARIUS] Aquaricart: The Aquarius Album Cartridge

mattel radofin aquarius multi-cart cartridge homebrew

80 replies to this topic

#76 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

Quadrunner

• 5,235 posts

Posted Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:49 AM

Jay, I don't know if this is the place to ask, but in your research did you find anything on sales numbers for the Aquarius? I keep seeing on web sites the figures of 20k sold worldwide with 7k of those in the States but no idea where that figure came from. Also that Radofin did release the Aquarius 2 but in Europe only and in small, unknown, numbers.

#77 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,160 posts
  • "Excuse me, sir? I have a question ..."

Posted Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:55 AM

That's a good question.  I've also seen the figures that you cite, but I suspect that they are just estimates that have been repeated often enough to become "authoritative."  I had hoped to include some statistics on Aquarius sales in the Aquaricart documentation and trivia files, but in the absence of definitive data, I decided to skip it.

I will say that, even for a system that performed as poorly in the marketplace as the Aquarius did, 20K seems awfully low to me.  I suspect that the actual number would be higher, if you were to include the systems sold or given away worldwide under various names by Mattel, Radofin, and their distributors.  Given that the Aquarius II was definitely released, complete with printed boxes and manuals, I'm actually surprised that so few of them seem to have survived.

#78 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,821 posts

Posted Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:05 AM

Side note: At least the Aquarius sold better than the Microsoft Kin device.  After acquiring Danger and spending $1 billion (yes, billion), they sold about 503 units to customers.  503.

http://www.businessi...alls-joh-2010-7

#79 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,827 posts

Posted Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:00 PM

This serial number database makes it look like approximately 170000 Aquarius computers eventually sold.

Http://www.geekvintage.com/mattel-aquarius-serial-number-db.php

#80 Wadeford OFFLINE  

Wadeford

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:56 PM

Are these still available ?  I'd really be interested in getting one....Thanks

#81 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 9,160 posts
  • "Excuse me, sir? I have a question ..."

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 PM

Welcome to AtariAge! Yes, they're still available; I recently had to replenish my stock, in fact. Anyone who's interested in an Aquaricart or in a 32K RAM module is invited to send me a PM!

(I hope to have another Aquarius "project" ready to show toward the end of this year ...)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mattel, radofin, aquarius, multi-cart, cartridge, homebrew

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users