52 replies to this topic

#26 Yurkie OFFLINE  

Yurkie

Q*bert Champion

• Topic Starter
  • 3,496 posts
  • Offering mods for ColecoVision and NESRGB

Posted Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:58 AM

I will hopefully find out first hand in a couple more days.

#27 Yurkie OFFLINE  

Yurkie

Q*bert Champion

• Topic Starter
  • 3,496 posts
  • Offering mods for ColecoVision and NESRGB

Posted Fri Nov 4, 2011 9:54 PM

Got the EverDrive from mute electronics.com good dude over in Ireland I believe.

No issues at all, but I have only played a few titles... Been caught up playing my Dreamcast.

#28 Harry Potthead OFFLINE  

Harry Potthead

Space Invader

• 35 posts

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:17 AM

Is it possible to go back to the Everdrive Menu after playing a game like pressing Start & A + B + C or something like that? Would be a nice feature :)

Edited by Harry Potthead, Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:17 AM.

#29 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,877 posts

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:20 AM

Is it possible to go back to the Everdrive Menu after playing a game like pressing Start & A + B + C or something like that? Would be a nice feature :)

If there is, I would like to know, too. :)

#30 Harry Potthead OFFLINE  

Harry Potthead

Space Invader

• 35 posts

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:52 AM

Got a email from Igor (krikzz). He told me that it is impossible to do for the Mega Everdrive :(

#31 Torr OFFLINE  

Torr

Dragonstomper

• 536 posts

Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:28 PM

Moved my post to here
http://www.atariage....ns/page__st__50

Edited by Torr, Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:34 PM.

#32 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,877 posts

Posted Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:34 PM

The pause button is mapped to a button on the Everdrive itself, just like a SMS.

#33 TheGameCollector OFFLINE  

TheGameCollector

Stargunner

• 1,025 posts

Posted Fri Feb 3, 2012 11:35 PM

Sonic 3 & Knuckles saving doesn't work. Has anyone hacked the rom yet to make the header identify that it has a save function?

#34 TheGameCollector OFFLINE  

TheGameCollector

Stargunner

• 1,025 posts

Posted Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:06 AM

Sonic 3 & Knuckles saving doesn't work. Has anyone hacked the rom yet to make the header identify that it has a save function?

EDIT: since I am a member on sonicretro.org, I inquired about this issue on there and someone instructed me to download a hex editor and change some specific values to match those from a normal Sonic 3 rom. The result is a hacked S3&K rom that saves properly on the Everdrive as it should! Anyone who wants this fixed version just ask me.

#35 theloon ONLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• 7,856 posts

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:58 AM

Been happy with mine except its inability to play my personal backup of Pier Solar. Doesn't bode well for other large homebrew.

#36 Chilly Willy OFFLINE  

Chilly Willy

Dragonstomper

• 609 posts

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:58 PM

Been happy with mine except its inability to play my personal backup of Pier Solar. Doesn't bode well for other large homebrew.

The ED is not meant to play anything more than 5MB, and that only for SSF2. Pier Solar also uses extra hardware in the cart to keep "backups" from being usable, so don't ever think a backup will run on a flash cart, even if it could hold 8MB. So even when the MegaEverdrive comes out, it STILL won't run your backup of PS.

Edited by Chilly Willy, Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:59 PM.

#37 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 541 posts

Posted Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:19 PM

But what if Everdrive emulates that hardware... Anyway Pier Solar is a mediocre game of a very boring RPG gerne. So no harm done.

#38 7800 OFFLINE  

Dragonstomper

• 547 posts
  • Miserable SOB

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:58 PM

I just ordered an Everdrive MD and a Famicom version from Retrogate. I sure hope I don't have any problems playing roms with these carts. I don't have the brainpower or patients to get the recommended GoodGen roms for the MD. All I want to do is download a few dozen of my favorites and store them on each cart... and play them. :)

Anybody know off hand what kind of files names the roms need to be for both systems? ... file names that will work. ;)

#39 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

Stargunner

• 1,776 posts

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:46 PM

The Everdrive MD has really good compatibility, you won't have many problems.  I don't have the Famicom one, so I can't say.

#40 7800 OFFLINE  

Dragonstomper

• 547 posts
  • Miserable SOB

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:43 PM

ok... So I discovered that I can download torrent files and from there open them up, organize them, etc.

The funny thing is, I know I will never even scratch the surface of these extensive rom files, but it's amazing knowing that one little SD card is capable of holding all these games.

I opened up the Genesis/Megadrive roms and they are all .MD files. From what I am hearing, the files need to be .BIN files for the Everdrive to read them.

Is there a way I can change multiple file names at once without having to change them one by one? I can use either a mac or PC.

#41 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,392 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:49 AM

What you have might already be BIN files, just having been renamed to .MD for no good reason.  If they're still internally BIN files, the cart will load 'em just fine. There are some tools to convert between the formats here at Zophar.net, but you might want to just delete what you've got & re-download a compatible set.

#42 theloon ONLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• 7,856 posts

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:55 AM

ok... So I discovered that I can download torrent files and from there open them up, organize them, etc.

The funny thing is, I know I will never even scratch the surface of these extensive rom files, but it's amazing knowing that one little SD card is capable of holding all these games.

I opened up the Genesis/Megadrive roms and they are all .MD files. From what I am hearing, the files need to be .BIN files for the Everdrive to read them.

Is there a way I can change multiple file names at once without having to change them one by one? I can use either a mac or PC.

Fire up a command prompt and in the directory with the ROMs use the rename command

C:\ren *.md *.bin

#43 7800 OFFLINE  

Dragonstomper

• 547 posts
  • Miserable SOB

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 AM

What you have might already be BIN files, just having been renamed to .MD for no good reason.  If they're still internally BIN files, the cart will load 'em just fine. There are some tools to convert between the formats here at Zophar.net, but you might want to just delete what you've got & re-download a compatible set.

Yeah, I hope so. I'm assuming the .MD is (Megadrive). Each file icon is a Megadrive cartridge... So, I guess we'll see once I get the Everdrive MD and load 'em up.

Not sure if this matters but I will be using the Everdrive MD on an actual Megadrive system.

#44 7800 OFFLINE  

Dragonstomper

• 547 posts
  • Miserable SOB

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:58 AM

Fire up a command prompt and in the directory with the ROMs use the rename command

C:\ren *.md *.bin

Cool, this is good to know. Thanks. :)

Edited by 7800, Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:59 AM.

#45 eightbit OFFLINE  

eightbit

Stargunner

• 1,427 posts

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:52 AM

You will not need to rename them if you are using a modern EverdriveMD v3 and the latest (actually only..v1) OS. The .md files will detect and load fine. I can personally confirm this, as I use the No-Intro set which are all .md format. They just need to be unzipped of course, and it is always nice to organize them into folders. I usually do not surpass 200 files per folder. I know you can do more (1024 I believe) but 200 a folder seems to list them instantly.

Might as well also add that SMS games for the most part work great too (if using a model 1 or model 2 genesis or megadrive only) with the exception of a few (Wonderboy does not work, Wonderboy in monster land and Alien Syndrome require an SMS joystick or connector mod, 3d games of course due to no 3D glasses). But, again, most work great :)

As for the Famicom one...it should be the same as the N8 (NES) one. That works with .nes files just fine...unzipped again...organized in folder for faster access. Some games don't work due to missing mappers. Cheetah Men comes to mind. No loss there.

Last thing. If you use a Mac to do this the Mac will create those stupid hidden folders (unless you turned that off in finder) and you will see them when you access the card in the game system. I would just use a Windows machine to do this to avoid that.

Edited by eightbit, Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:11 AM.

#46 7800 OFFLINE  

Dragonstomper

• 547 posts
  • Miserable SOB

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:07 AM

That's great news, one less thing to worry about. I'm still waiting for both Everdrives, they shipped about 10 days ago and are now in NY customs.

I was wondering. I have a 16gb SD card and was thinking about putting the Mega Drive roms AND NES roms onto it. You think I could use 1 card for both Everdrives?

Edited by 7800, Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:11 AM.

#47 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

Stargunner

• 1,776 posts

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:56 AM

That's great news, one less thing to worry about. I'm still waiting for both Everdrives, they shipped about 10 days ago and are now in NY customs.

I was wondering. I have a 16gb SD card and was thinking about putting the Mega Drive roms AND NES roms onto it. You think I could use 1 card for both Everdrives?

Of course!  Even with variants and whatnot, the MD library is around 2GB at the extreme, NES is much less.  16GB would probably house every major cart-based rom library together at once.

#48 Gregory DG ONLINE  

Gregory DG

TAT IS BACK!

• 10,933 posts
  • Go Cardinals!

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:04 AM

Hm...Wondering if this will work with the Retron 5? Does it work on other multi-systems?

#49 7800 OFFLINE  

Dragonstomper

• 547 posts
  • Miserable SOB

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:15 AM

Of course!  Even with variants and whatnot, the MD library is around 2GB at the extreme, NES is much less.  16GB would probably house every major cart-based rom library together at once.

Nice... So using one SD card for multiple Everdrive carts wont be an issue... You can't beat that. :)

#50 Hyperboy ONLINE  

Hyperboy

Stargunner

• 1,404 posts

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:39 AM

You can't beat that. :)

Like a sore dick :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users