IGNORED

New Pinball Arcade from makers of Williams Collection

I think this must be a 3DS problem. I've never played a 3DS or a Switch, but I have played tons of Pinball FX# along with TPA and now almost 20 hours of Zaccaria pinball on Xbox, Steam, and Playstation. They all have their positives and negatives, but I don't know what you guys are talking about regarding FX#. I've never noticed cheap designs, wonky physics, or painfully slow rolling or too fast ball tracking. --I'll give you the meaningless toys though.

Here's the thing, if you go play 100 different versions of the original old Centaur table from 1983, the operator may have just waxed it, may have it at a strange height, may have adjusted features on the playfield OR those features may have deteriorated over time. That table might play slow or fast and it would be hard to predict. I might come away after playing 100 of those thinking that on some tables, the ball was hard to track because it was too fast, or the outlane save was tweaked up to make the game significantly easier than the others.

My point is that the electronic tables are going to have variations just like the real thing. The only difference is that it will be consistent play after play. Some of those things are extremely annoying (like the STDM left ramp problem on World Champ Soccer '94), but at this point, I usually just put that in the "table variation" column and go on with life.

For me, the PFX# tables have always felt like real tables where they added some impossible stuff that you could never build into the real thing. That detracts from the realism a bit, but I thought it was so well done that I was happy to let realism slip for the extra fun that was added. I honestly can't say that I have any huge complaints about the actual pinball being played on those tables - at least not any more than I have about TPA (Zaccaria still has more problems than both and it changes all the time).

I must have more than a hundred of hours in PFX# across the various platforms. I'd say my favorites would be:

Overall - Skyrim

Zen originals - Secrets of the Deep

Marvel - Avengers

Star Wars - Return of the Jedi

I usually go through this pattern when playing pretty much any new table in any format, and I find it an enjoyable way to play all types of Pinball (including PFX#)

1) Play 3 games and just have fun - keep the ball alive and observe

2) Read 50% of the instructions and then play a few more games trying to achieve on of the goals

Usually after #2, if I feel like I'm making progress and understanding the progression of the table's goals, I keep going.

3) Read the rest of the rules and try to finish multiple missions in the same game, or earn an extra ball

4) Try to complete all table achievements

5) Try to finish the overall table goal

#5 is typically VERY difficult for PFX# which is actually kind of nice. I'm still proud of what I was able to do on the IronMan and Blade tables . . .

Anyway, you probably have your own strategy, but I found that breaking it down into steps helped me deal with all of the different things that assault you (LOL) when you play a very busy virtual table (or real table).

• Like 1

I think this must be a 3DS problem.

It could be. I haven't tried it on WiiU or PC, but on the 3DS, it doesn't feel like there have been adjustments to the table, it just feels like the physics are all wrong.

And like Tanooki said, the table layouts don't feel like they're particularly well thought-out, but I'm sure they must have improved over the years.

I seem to recall Zen saying they had to cut all kinds of corners to get any performance out of the 3DS port. I'm certain it's the worst way to play Star Wars Pinball.

Yes, while the 3ds port is not a bad game, it is painfully obvious that these tables were designed for HD output, rather than vintage 16-bit ports like Devil Crush et al. The older 2D 8-bit and 16-bit tables generally don't have a ton of ramps and other stuff you normally see on pinball tables from the era. Main problem with Zen 3ds is the low graphical resolution. There is a lot of alias artifacts on the 3DS game that aren't present on the HD versions, however turning on 3d does help immensely in discerning the playfield objects, one of the downsides being it's only 30Hz in 3D. Fact is many of the objects are simply too small for the limited resolution, and numerous other corners they cut to speed up the physics so that it doesn't drop frames on the limited 3DS processor.

I tried the Pinball Arcade app yesterday on Switch and I am really disappointed. I assumed I wouldn't be able to get my Stern pinball tables from Stern Pinball Arcade - I have it on a physical game card -, but the game asked me to enter a name for the leaderboard but refused the one I used for Stern Pinball Arcade because it was 'already used'... :thumbsdown:

Yes, while the 3ds port is not a bad game, it is painfully obvious that these tables were designed for HD output...

Idunno. I have Farsight's Williams collection for 3DS, and although the visuals are dim, and the framerate isn't the best, it still feels very much like pinball.

• Like 1

Idunno. I have Farsight's Williams collection for 3DS, and although the visuals are dim, and the framerate isn't the best, it still feels very much like pinball.

Oh it is, don't get me wrong. I don't think I ever got the Williams Collection on 3ds, just tried the FX starter pack. Both games have similar physics engines and equally stress the cpu, besides one being real and the other fantasy. It is good that physical recreations exist at all but both software suites likely benefit from higher resolution ie 480p or higher compared to the 3ds 240p screens. Gottlieb played quite well on my Gamecube except in Teed Off ball kept getting stuck with game ending bug. Black Hole was my favorite I think from thd early collection tables.

That William's collection may only have like 6 tables on there, but they're very solidly well done within the limitations of the hardware, and the 3D mode actually does make it feel a bit more like an original since I can compare Pin-Bot on there to the real deal.

I tried the Pinball Arcade app yesterday on Switch and I am really disappointed. I assumed I wouldn't be able to get my Stern pinball tables from Stern Pinball Arcade - I have it on a physical game card -, but the game asked me to enter a name for the leaderboard but refused the one I used for Stern Pinball Arcade because it was 'already used'... :thumbsdown:

I used Kosmic Stardust in TPA, had to use Kosmic_Stardust in Stern. LAme. Supposedly they will be setting up some type of cross buy but I doubt it works with physical editions. We'll see if I ever get unlocks for Ghostbusters and ACDC in my TPA app. I never bothered with the others because they didn't interest me plus some were dupes of TPA tables. Now that Williams and Balley are no more, and Stern has been added to TPA, making the standalone Stern app completely redundant.

Both apps have also been updated on Switch so that you can no longer access trial tables without purchasing them. Boo... :thumbsdown:

Not sure if that's a Nintendo policy or a TPA policy. FX3 on Switch doesn't let me access trial tables anymore either.

Just wanted to say this is so far the worst news of 2018 in the world of video games. I can't imagine Farsight will survive this.

Farsight made a business of selling and repackaging other's intellectual property. As is the cutthroat nature of the business, the IP owner can choose not to renew the license if they so choose. We aren't privy to the negotiations Farsight may have had with the Williams/Bally owners, but at some point talks went south and they backed out. It is not Farsight's fault, and it sucks for everyone involved, players and developers alike.

At least with FX they were pretty diversified. I don't see a return of Marvel and Star Wars in FX3, but they do have a wide berth of original themed tables that nobody can take from them. Is Nikola Tesla going to rise from the grave to tell them they don't have permission to use his likeness? I think not.

Back to the Stern thing, there appears to be some sort of cutoff where newer tables cost a premium. The new pricing teir makes Stern tables seem less attractive. Honestly they should just kill the Stern app completely for new dpwnloads and transfer the download licenses to TPA.

I used Kosmic Stardust in TPA, had to use Kosmic_Stardust in Stern. LAme. Supposedly they will be setting up some type of cross buy but I doubt it works with physical editions. We'll see if I ever get unlocks for Ghostbusters and ACDC in my TPA app. I never bothered with the others because they didn't interest me plus some were dupes of TPA tables. Now that Williams and Balley are no more, and Stern has been added to TPA, making the standalone Stern app completely redundant.

I added a '_' as well... :D Since I started with Stern Pinball Arcade, I'll probably pass on TPA (unless there is a physical release) since the other tables don't look that interesting to me. Even though, to be fair, I've been pleasantly surprised by some of Stern's tables I did not know about (Believe it or not, Mustang, etc.) but of course you have to try them to find out... :(

Gottlieb played quite well on my Gamecube except in Teed Off ball kept getting stuck with game ending bug.

I tried Gottlieb on the XBox and didn't like it at all. The physics felt very primitive, especially compared to TPA's updated tables, or even Microsoft's older collection (for Windows).

Not sure if that's a Nintendo policy or a TPA policy.

Doesn't seem like it would be NoA's policy, since TPA on the WiiU let you sample every table, and I know that Stern Pinball on Steam doesn't let you preview tables (yet?)

Edited by Asaki

I tried Gottlieb on the XBox and didn't like it at all. The physics felt very primitive, especially compared to TPA's updated tables, or even Microsoft's older collection (for Windows).

I remember the Gottleib collection for Playstation 2. Mostly older tables. One quick blip of the nudge functions(on the d-pad) instantly tilted the machine. It was to the point it was not worth using.

If anyone is planning a big Playstation Pinball Arcade purchase, you can get a 20% off discount code by watching this trailer.

https://live.playstation.com/?v=5b0452736e7626003763102a

I'm not sure how long the offer lasts. The code is supposed to be good through the end of this month.

Saw this deal last night and posted in the PS4 'Deal Alert' thread, but it's perfect timing for Pinball Arcade seasons... I'm going to double dip and get the PA seasons that I don't have on PS4 then fill out my cart with a few Arcade Archives titles that never go on sale. :)

Buying the last five seasons gave me sort of a laugh when I looked at my cart.

-Season Three Bundle (Categorized as an "Add-On")

-Pinball Arcade: Season Four Pass (Categorized as a "Season Pass")

-Pinball Arcade Season 5 Bundle (Categorized as a "Season Pass")

-Pinball Arcade: Season Six Pass (Categorized as a "Map")

-Pinball Arcade Season 7 (Categorized as a "Map")

Farsight isn't much for consistency with these details, lol.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

The ones with the * beside them are the real pins I worked on back in the day:

The Addams Family *

Attack from Mars

Banzai Run

Black Knight

Black Knight 2000

Black Rose *

Bram Stoker's Dracula *

Cactus Canyon

Centaur

The Champion Pub

Creature from the Black Lagoon *

Cyclone

Diner

Doctor Who *

Dr. Dude & HIs Excellent Ray

Earthshaker

Eight Ball Deluxe *

Elvira and the Party Monsters

F-14 Tomcat *

Fathom

Fireball

Firepower

Firepower II

Fish Tales *

Fun House *

The Getaway: High Speed 2

Gorgar

High Speed

Hurricane

Indianapolis 500

Jack Bot

Judge Dredd *

Junk Yard

The Machine: Bride of Pin•Bot *

Medieval Madness

Monster Bash

No Fear: Dangerous Sports

No Good Gofers *

Paragon

The Party Zone

PIN•BOT *

Red and Ted's Road Show

Safe Cracker

Scared Stiff

Sorcerer *

Space Shuttle *

Spanish Eyes

Star Trek: The Next Generation *

Swords Of Fury

Tales of the Arabian Nights

Taxi *

Terminator 2: Judgment Day *

Theatre of Magic

Twilight Zone *

White Water *

Whirlwind

WHO Dunnit

Wild Card

World Champion Soccer

Xenon *

• Like 1

The ones with the * beside them are the real pins I worked on back in the day:
\
PIN•BOT *
\

In what way did you work on these? We talking working for Williams or doing repair work? I own a Pin-Bot and I've never quite been able to hash out a mystery with mine in the center target array not wanting to land flush with the board as it sucks when the ball gets stuck now and again.

Hmm gotcha so it was installation/maintenance on location of the product, that's cool.

I'll have to look into that. I've so far have opened it up more times than I can call and I've tried to change the 2 screws that relegate the height to no effect. It's almost like it gets stuck like a 1/8 to 1/4 inch too high so a cheap slow roll can get stuck and usually ends up having to tilt it shoving the thing to get it loose. I even tried which helped just barely trying to temporarily loosen a screw that mounts the whole thing and bending the plate slightly but you can only go too far before making a real issue of it. If it is getting stuck that oil may do it as I know it's not something mechanically shot. It has had a pretty weak life being home used only so it doesn't have like a 100000 uses on it from abusive kids and drunks.

May also want to dismantle the part as well and check it for dirt/grime. I would completely clean it with alcohol or degreaser and wipe down before applying fresh lubricant. Mechanical stuff does break down and requires regular maintenance. I've played some horribly maintained pins at bars and laundermats. Pop up tabs either stuck in the up or down position, sometimes visually completely broken. Flippers that don't work at all or the high power solenoid is burned out (flippers actually have two solenoids, a high power one to give it kick and a low power one that holds it in the upright position when you hold the flipper - if the high power solenoid is burned out, the flippers won't knock the ball very far - if the low power solenoid is burned out, the flipper will kick repeatedly when you hold the button down). I played a Black Knight 2000 table at the laundermat like this. The fllippers were so weak the ball only had enough energy to roll halfway up the playfield. I could not hit any ramps, and only a couple targets were within the balls reach. Disappointing to say the least.

= = = = = = = =

In other news, Jurassic Pinball just released in the Nintendo Switch eShop, looks like a total knockoff of FX's Jurassic World themed pinball pack. You could not get more generic, but it's not false advertising as it has a single Dinosaur themed pinball table, and Universal does not own exclusive rights to the word "Jurassic."

For $1.99 I got my money's worth out of it. Scored 15 million points yesterday and placed 12th overall on the global leaderboard. I grabbed a screenshot of the leaderboard; will post later.. :P

EDIT: Screengrab uploaded.post-33189-0-48448200-1527527809_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

In what way did you work on these? We talking working for Williams or doing repair work? I own a Pin-Bot and I've never quite been able to hash out a mystery with mine in the center target array not wanting to land flush with the board as it sucks when the ball gets stuck now and again.

I read this and your next post.

I'm sure you know this, but there is a forum called Pinside where people share info about these machines all the time. In the small chance that you've never been to Pinside, go check it out and see if someone there has deeper info for you.

I also have at least 2 Facebook groups for my area that are arcade/pinball related and they have some guys with DEEP experience. Something like that may be a resource for you too.