IGNORED

Systems you only keep for one game/series? Anyone else do this?

A_Locomotive

I'm curious who here keeps a console or handheld just for a single game or series, maybe you've got a few other games for it but the real reason you keep it is to just play that one game you love. For me its my Game Boy Advance. I only keep it for 1(3 actually lol) reason and that is so I can play the pre GBA Legend of Zelda games, Links Awakening, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. If I could play them on my DS I'd have likely sold my GBA it along with the huge number of games I sold for it last year. So who else does this and what consoles and games are they? :)

• Like 1

Can't say I do. When I get a system I try to get a lot of the better games for it. Try to get a rounded experience of the system. I do have only 1 game for my 3do but it's not because I like the game or because it's the only game I want for it. I got a good deal on a trade for the 3do which came with one game and I haven't gotten around to getting any others.

There are systems that I will play my favorite game the most on (Mine Storm on the Vectrex, Blockbuster on the Microvision, Nights into Dreams on the Saturn), however there are none that I keep for only one game except VFD electronic games and dedicated consoles like Pong. Even the much-maligned Virtual Boy has multiple games that I like ;)

Great thread topic!

Well, Gotta side with locomotive here... After losing my original Game Boy Advance (that my beloved late father bought on the release day!) ...and reading that some newer GBA SP's were incompatible with some older GB/GBC games.... I had to get another plain GBA...

Cuz, I couldn't risk not being able to play 'Super Robot Wars Pinball' (Jap import) FANTASTIC pinball game... I believe by the same team that did the GBC Pokemon Pinball.

I keep that cart in my unit at all times, pretty much...

I have a number of imports for my GBA, even some rather rare ones, like Zoids Saga, but it's pretty much Super Robot Wars Pinball all the way! Well, and Pinball of the Dead occasionally!

Oh, I have heard of several ppl. wanting a Saturn just for Radiant Silvergun! *but, MAN SO many other good shooters on the Saturn, tho Silvergun is incredible.

While I may never make my own game, at least until I learn Japanese.... I could almost justify the cost of my first Saturn, video card, and mouse just with Dezaemon (sp?) AKA, the shooter maker...

Edited by marcfrick2112

Most of my systems were purchased for one specific game, but once I had the system, I figured I'd look at what else was available, and I found some other gems worth keeping.

I bought a Genesis for Sonic and a 360 for Rock Band. Today I have other games too.

I only have one game for my N64, Super Mario 64.

I might get more one day, but for now, it's the only one I want for it.

You gotta get Golden Eye! I rocked that game sideways back in the day!

Odyssey^2 - uhhh, why do keep my O2?

I bought my O2 to play Quest For The Rings. Super cool game. Me and the kids played through it a few times then I resold the system.

I try to keep one of every system on hand. If I run across a good deal on a game I don't like to pass it up. If I plan of selling it later who really wants to purchase an untested game? I have a PS1 for that reason but I have found myself playing through FF7 again. I plan on replaying 8 and 9 too.

B

The only example I can think of is my 32X, which I owned, sold, and rebought just so I could play Virtua Racing Deluxe. All other 32X games I can live without.

I used to own a Jaguar, but there wasn't even 1 game on it I really loved enough (and that wasn't on other systems - like Tempest 2000 and Rayman which I have on Saturn) to keep it, so I sold it off.

B

Yeah, I considered it. Even saw it in a store recently (cartridge only) for $4, but passed. I remember playing it a lot, but can't remember if we rented it or owned it. I've just never been much of a FPS player. But I do remember it as being pretty fun.

PSP - Dracula X Chronicles

I likely would have done that if I hadn't already gotten a copy of Rondo of Blood for the PC-Engine by the time the PSP collection came out. I might still get it if PSPs ever get sufficently cheap but prove durable on the used market. I got a DS basically just for the Castlevania games. And up until a few days ago the only Master System game I owned was Master of Darkness, Sega's 8bit take on the ClassicVania formula. The only real reason I bought a Dreamcast was for Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage

B

Yeah, I considered it. Even saw it in a store recently (cartridge only) for $4, but passed. I remember playing it a lot, but can't remember if we rented it or owned it. I've just never been much of a FPS player. But I do remember it as being pretty fun.

I could recommend several great games for the N64 but if Mario64 is really the only one you want you might be best sticking with it. It's increasingly hard to find good controllers/joysticks for the system, so best not to wear out the ones you have on games you only sort of want to play.

Edited by Ratty

The only reason I own a CDi is because I can't seem to get rid of it... Oh, and those Zelda games.

The only reason I bought a CD-i was so I could try the Zelda games, but alas I couldn't find a copy even remotely in my price range and couldn't get a burned copy to work. :( I wish there was a free CD-i emulator as I still really want to play them.

I enjoy playing my Jaguar mostly for the games Tempest 2000, Raiden, and Defender 2000. There are a bunch of other games I enjoy on the system but these are the main pull on the system for me.

On the 32X it is the games Space Harrier and After Burner that keep me coming back for more. There are a few other games I like, but these are the icing on the cake.

And although there are a ton of games that I enjoy on the N64, the games Ridge Racer 64, StarFox 64, Hydro Thunder, Star Wars Racer, Wipeout 64, Bust-A-Move 2, and Cruis'n Exotica that causes me to pull the system out and play. From there I venture into other games.

On most gaming systems there is that one game draw for me. After I get the system I usually begin finding other stuff that I enjoy. And sometimes I find games I like more than that first game I purchased the systems for. And I consider the combination of those games making the system worth keeping. Most of my game consoles there is a number of games that make up the total experience of gaming on that particular system. Each system has its own gaming peculiarities that make up the experience for me. So even though I may feel that there are those games that are the main draw for me, I really wouldn't want to have the system without the many other games that I have for it. So I think that there is really no system that I own in which I can say that there is one particular game or series that causes me to keep the system.

Edited by in the dark