Photo

2600 Galaxian - near perfect arcade colors & graphics hack

10 replies to this topic

#1 espire8 OFFLINE  

espire8

Dragonstomper

• 626 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:09 PM

I wanted to try my hand at sprucing up the graphics for this 2600 galaxian hack. It's my attempt to work around the flagship issue Nukey Shay described in his Galaxian-Expanded thread (which I bumped up after missing it for almost a year!). I've redrawn all the aliens including all the in-flight attacking positions and altered the player's ship to better match the arcade.
The left pic is how the graphics looked before worked on. The middle show my alterations. The right is the arcade version to compare.

Galaxian-Expanded(PAL60).bin.png Galaxian enchanced gfx hack.gif 118124211022.png

This is as close as to arcade perfect the alien graphics can be as far as this goes. I've yet to see how the colors look on real hardware connected to a standard TV, so the bottom row of aliens may be too dark, in which case I'll brighten it up if need be. I want to make sure the colors are bright enough to show up clearly even thru an RF signal.

I don't have the binary ready to post yet. I'm presently waiting on a hack request to this game from Nukey so I can include it in the binary with the new graphics before I post it here later.

Update: Here's a binary with just the flagship fix and alternative alien graphic changes. Attached File  Galaxian-Expanded_gfx-hack_espire8(NTSC).bin   8KB   270 downloads

The double-size ship for "A" difficulty is not in this tho. Nukey may post an update if this feature is ever added later.

Edited by espire8, Sun Dec 4, 2011 12:20 PM.

#2 Brian O OFFLINE  

Brian O

Stargunner

• 1,522 posts
  • [THIS SPACE FOR RENT]

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:10 PM

:thumbsup:
Nice!

-B

#3 espire8 OFFLINE  

espire8

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 626 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:14 PM

:thumbsup:
Nice!

-B

:) Thanks!

#4 TrekMD ONLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 2,562 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:10 PM

Very nice! I'm always impressed to see how these games continue to be improved upon. :)

#5 NE146 ONLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 13,432 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:26 PM

Cool man.. that definitely looks Galaxian-ish to me. There's zero doubt if I had seen that in the day I'd have said "that is friggin GALAXIAN". ;)

#6 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,199 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:08 PM

That looks great. You can also take a look at the sprites I did a while back. Nukey worked on all the coding and I worked on the sprites.
I think I like your player ship better than mine.

#7 espire8 OFFLINE  

espire8

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 626 posts

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:25 PM

Thanks KevinMos3. That's a neat thread you put together. I didn't know you were involved with the hack, I like how you kept the eyes on the aliens as two pixels instead of a straight line as I've done. Feel free to use the player ship design in your version too. Nukey has been a tremendous help with how the game has come to be at present compared to when first initiated.

I also like what you did with Adventure Enchanced! Great job! Heh.. :lol: I remember that black bat I did a long while ago for 2600 Adventure 2 - or was it 3?, but never got around to even start it because there were things impossible to do back then that I alone would never have hope for. I think it's awesome other people has taken the game to new heights and I'm happy to see my bat found a place in your hack. :) I'll have to keep a watch in that thread.

#8 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,199 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:15 PM

I like how you kept the eyes on the aliens as two pixels instead of a straight line as I've done. Feel free to use the player ship design in your version too.

Thanks! Feel free to use any sprites I've worked on as well... afterall, they aren't exactly "my" sprites since I was imitating the arcade. ;-)

I also like what you did with Adventure Enchanced! Great job! Heh.. :lol: I remember that black bat I did a long while ago for 2600 Adventure 2 - or was it 3?, but never got around to even start it because there were things impossible to do back then that I alone would never have hope for.

Thanks again! Your Adventure II hack was partly responsible for inspiring me to work on that. You should check out the latest source by Nukey. He added a lot of really cool features that I'm sure you'd find plenty of uses for. For example... he added multi-color playfields, or sprites, and even added teleporting.

#9 espire8 OFFLINE  

espire8

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 626 posts

Posted Sun Dec 4, 2011 12:18 PM

I've just included a binary of the gfx hack in the first post that you may enjoy the game. Thanks! :)

#10 c_t_f OFFLINE  

c_t_f

Space Invader

• 43 posts
  • Location:Isolated behind a toilet, surviving off of toothpaste and tap water

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2011 11:43 PM

Wow, it looks awesome!! :-) Good work!!

@CTF@

#11 WildBillTX OFFLINE  

WildBillTX

Chopper Commander

• 224 posts

Posted Sat Jan 7, 2012 3:32 AM

Very nice hack. I just wish there was a way to make the aliens more agressive. The game is too easy on the lower levels.

Edited by WildBillTX, Sat Jan 7, 2012 3:32 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users