IGNORED

2600 video full of static - how to fix?

31336haxx0r

Chaps, I have a Darth Vader 2600 here that is in a really great shape but exhibits video issues. The screen is correctly displayed but with a lot of tiny white dots everywhere, just like static. IIRC there was a fix for that, like changing some capacitors. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there a how-to anywhere?

Thanks!

The usual fix is replacing the green "chicket" looking capicitor which cures the warped/thumbprint screen look, but from what you are describing, it sounds more like a RF cable issue. I would swap out the cable and try that first.

BTW, if you are using an old style switchbox, that might be the main cause of your problem! Try a RCA to F type connector available at Radio Shack.

I did have indeed a switchbox in between. I will try it without it next time and using different cables to find out if anything's wrong there.

I found your green cap thread and immediately took a look at the various 2600 PCBs scattered around here. None of them have such a cap, but rather a smaller one that looks like a diode. It's labeled C241 and goes from the ground plane to the input of the 7805 voltage regulator. Didn't know the 2600 was so picky about that. If that's the case, I'll not only change that thing and also add a 0.1 µF cap from ground to the output of the 7805 regulator, as shown in the application note... :o

I'll give it a try and report back! Any other hints? :)

I did have indeed a switchbox in between. I will try it without it next time and using different cables to find out if anything's wrong there.

I found your green cap thread and immediately took a look at the various 2600 PCBs scattered around here. None of them have such a cap, but rather a smaller one that looks like a diode. It's labeled C241 and goes from the ground plane to the input of the 7805 voltage regulator. Didn't know the 2600 was so picky about that. If that's the case, I'll not only change that thing and also add a 0.1 µF cap from ground to the output of the 7805 regulator, as shown in the application note... :o

I'll give it a try and report back! Any other hints? :)

C241 is the correct one, but there shouldn't be a diode in there. Maybe that's the problem. It should have a cap. I use a 224K100V in all the units I repair. They are a little bigger like the ones used in the six switch units