IGNORED

Are there SEGA CD games that won't play on the CDX?

Cobradvs

So I have a Sega CDX and I couldn't be happier with it. But I recently got a game that seems to not want to play. Its "My Paint". Basically its like a painting game for kids (hey, I needed it for the collection....lol). So the game starts up and the scrolling title screen works fine and as soon as I press start the screen turns black. I thought originally it was loading the main menu or something but it just sits on this black screen forever. I thought maybe it was a scratch on the disc so I looked and turns out yes, there were some moderate scratches. So I took it back to the store and the resurfaced the disc for me no problem, disc looks great. Put it back in the CDX and the same thing happened. So I'm wondering if maybe this is one of the few games that won't play in a CDX. I've heard of other games that do this like Terminator and Jurassic Park, but Terminator works great on mine. Anybody have a clue? Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Tyler

• 3 weeks later...

I can't answer your cdx questions. But i was wondering if you could help me out with one.

What's the going price for a cdx? A local craigslist ad has one up. But has no asking price.

I remember seeing these back the day for $400! Crazy expensive.

What's a fair price $100?

-rick

Hey Rick. $100 seems to be a pretty fair price. What does it come with? The most essential thing is the power adapter because its 9.5v and is hard to come by. And you want to make sure its the 9.5v so it doesn't harm the disc reader. The av cords are the same as the genesis model 2 and 3. So yeah 100 is fair i'd say. Any games with it?

There was a similar question about games over at SEGA-16. It was resolved between several CDX owners (including myself) that all CDs work fine on the CDX. If there's a problem, it's with the specific disc (scratched, etc) or the drive is starting to go bad. Try a few different audio CDs, if you have trouble with some, it may be the drive, not the CDX.

Edited by Chilly Willy

There was a similar question about games over at SEGA-16. It was resolved between several CDX owners (including myself) that all CDs work fine on the CDX. If there's a problem, it's with the specific disc (scratched, etc) or the drive is starting to go bad. Try a few different audio CDs, if you have trouble with some, it may be the drive, not the CDX.

And if that's the case, you should be able to burn yourself another copy of the game and see if that copy loads. Sega CD had no piracy protection.

And if that's the case, you should be able to burn yourself another copy of the game and see if that copy loads. Sega CD had no piracy protection.

That is correct. Just watch out for 1) crappy cheap media (cough - Memorex - cough), and 2) speed zones on the CD burner. Burn at the highest speed that doesn't jump in write speed as you progress in the writing. It should stay at the same speed, or GRADUALLY increase SMOOTHLY. Jumps in the write speed indicate your burner is switching speed zones for better write speed, and while (relatively) modern CDs can handle the jump when reading the CDR, old drives like in the CDX cannot. Basically, any CD that was rated for 6X or slower won't handle CDRs written with different speed zones without choking on the changeover point.