IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

yeah, congarts scott. just think if it wasn't for certian video game confernce in iL :roll: this all wouldn't be happening

Now if we can get a good port of tempest for the 2600(the proto I saw and played wasn't that great)

That's absolutely right. Star Castle 2600 has only ever been on public display at the 2010 and 2011 Video Game Summit and if Crimestopper hadn't taken the time to post what he saw here on Atari Age, we almost certainly wouldn't be here today.

So I'd like to offer a tip of the hat to Dan for organizing the Video Game Summit and letting me show Star Castle 2600 there.

Thanks Dan.

[EDIT] http://avc.atari-users.net/VGS.html

Edited by solidcorp

yeah, congarts scott. just think if it wasn't for certian video game confernce in iL :roll: this all wouldn't be happening

Now if we can get a good port of tempest for the 2600(the proto I saw and played wasn't that great)

That's absolutely right. Star Castle 2600 has only ever been on public display at the 2010 and 2011 Video Game Summit and if Crimestopper hadn't taken the time to post what he saw here on Atari Age, we almost certainly wouldn't be here today.

So I'd like to offer a tip of the hat to Dan for organizing the Video Game Summit and letting me show Star Castle 2600 there.

Thanks Dan.

[EDIT] http://avc.atari-users.net/VGS.html

Your welcome Scott always fun having an ex-atari employee at the show.

not many people know this back in the late 80's AVC Online (back then Atari Video Club)

had a connection with Atari. I gotten Press kits from Atari when they did shows like CES

even had stuff from scotts place of work back then in lombard,il

(after the revese merger with JTS, then the sale to hasbro all that went to pot,but Istill have all the Press kits

though, even showed the one from Atari Entertainment to scott at last years show)

If I jump in, I would like a cart and manual, nothing else. How would I proceed? $50 for the cart and stuff is OK, but I really like documentaion, but $100 for the box and everything is getting over my limits for a niche item.

Also, is there a cap on quantity?

Sorry, the rewards are set. Besides, changing them now wouldn't be fair to the people who have already contributed.

Perhaps you can work out an arrangement with someone else here on AA for a trade or something.

There is no limit.

If I jump in, I would like a cart and manual, nothing else. How would I proceed? $50 for the cart and stuff is OK, but I really like documentaion, but $100 for the box and everything is getting over my limits for a niche item.

For $50 you get the cart & CD that contains the manual in .pdf

Print it out, or take it to a copy / office supply shop and have them print it for you.

For $100 Harmony, they buy a Harmony and program it as Star Castle. They sent it, and the Star castle CD, to you.

Then you can buy an SD card, upload Harmony bios from your PC with USB cable and put the Star Castle ROM from the CD on the SD card, along with all the other Atari games.

For $50 you get the cart & CD that contains the manual in .pdf

Print it out, or take it to a copy / office supply shop and have them print it for you.

For $100 Harmony, they buy a Harmony and program it as Star Castle. They sent it, and the Star castle CD, to you.

Then you can buy an SD card, upload Harmony bios from your PC with USB cable and put the Star Castle ROM from the CD on the SD card, along with all the other Atari games.

I somehow skipped the PDF part, that is perfectly acceptable to me, thanks for pointing that out.

For the harmony part, I can by a harmony, and the Starcastle cd seperate for less than the bundle, or is it going to be altered to make it unique? (label, or other changes?) I do need/want a 2nd harmony, but I think I would want the unique cart for starcastle.

Well deserved especially after all the attitude that was thrown your way.

Are you from another timeline where totally different things happened or do you just like being sycophantic? If he would have done something like this from the start, he wouldn't have gotten any 'attitude.'

And well-deserved? Instead of being some noble gesture, it looks to me like the other version of Star Castle scared him into selling his version at a more affordable price to more than one person. Seems like all thanks and praise should go to cd-w.

• Like 13

Well deserved especially after all the attitude that was thrown your way.

Are you from another timeline where totally different things happened or do you just like being sycophantic? If he would have done something like this from the start, he wouldn't have gotten any 'attitude.'

And well-deserved? Instead of being some noble gesture, it looks to me like the other version of Star Castle scared him into selling his version at a more affordable price to more than one person. Seems like all thanks and praise should go to cd-w.

bit harsh aren't we who's to say what happned surely both scotts and cd-w are going to get buyers so kudos go to both men. I for sure will get both versions.

A bit harsh aren't we?

I don't know about you, but I'm always harsh. Trent implied that solidcorp was a victim who got a bunch of unwarranted 'attitude' when solidcorp brought it all on himself.

Who's to say what happened?

Anyone with eyes and a working brain.

Surely both scotts and cd-w are going to get buyers so kudos go to both men. I for sure will get both versions.

I'd refuse to buy solidcorp's version on principle. He didn't care if players could buy his game for at least 8 months, but now that cd-w's version is pretty much finished, suddenly solidcorp is willing to sell his version of the game. You can't expect collectors with the hoarding gene to boycott anything, so I'm sure solidcorp will sell a ton of cartridges.

Simmer down, sheesh. Recognizing one accomplishment doesn't diminish the another.

The 'accomplishment' of 100% funding in under 4 days diminishes us all. He didn't want to sell his version at a more affordable price to more than one person until cd-w made his version. No one should buy solidcorp's version based on his initial attitude.

Simmer down, sheesh. Recognizing one accomplishment doesn't diminish the another.

I agree, if it wasn't for the homebrew market on the 2600 the 2600 wouldn't still be active

What does that have to do with anything? We are talking about one specific case where one guy didn't want to sell his version of a game until another guy was almost ready to sell his own version.

• Like 5

RT is just saying what I'm sure a lot of people are thinking. I'm surprised there hasn't been more comments like his.

However, I am glad that solidcorp has changed his mind about the price of the game. You did the right thing in the end.

Maybe this controversy was all a marketing strategy! ;)

• Like 2

That could also be a coincidence, couldn't it?

Right, and when you eat bad food at a restaurant, then crap your pants in an elevator later that day, that's also a coincidence.

We are talking about one specific case where one guy didn't want to sell his version of a game until another guy was almost ready to sell his own version.

Let's try to stay with the proven facts, please.

What about that isn't a fact? He didn't announce that he was selling his version of the game to more than one person at a more affordable price until the other version was almost completed. That's a fact.

You could argue that he didn't do it out of fear. You could argue that he wasn't trying to jump in before the other game could be released on cartridge, but it doesn't change the fact above. Even if he didn't do it out of fear or a desperate attempt to grab some cash (similar to getting your movie to theaters before another movie with the same subject matter), the timing makes him look bad.

If he would have done it at the beginning or months ago or months from now after the other version has been released, it wouldn't look so bad.

• Like 2

This thread.. post-4806-0-25676700-1335598898.gif But it is accurate. Fear and the threat of money loss among vendors, retailers, and all businesses alike - is good for the customer. When businesses compete the consumer gets a better deal. This is nothing new. A swift kick in the ass, gets you going, and gets us games! If SC needed a kick from CD-W, well, then, so be it. Funny, amusing, and a good demo of fear as a motivator.

Edited by Keatah

If he would have done it at the beginning or months ago or months from now after the other version has been released, it wouldn't look so bad.

True. But if we always use the bad first impression he made against him, then everything he does can be interpreted negatively forever.

Why don't you (we) give him a 2nd chance?

True. But if we always use the bad first impression he made against him, then everything he does can be interpreted negatively forever.

Why don't you (we) give him a 2nd chance?

Solidcorp and cd-w could always team up and both versions could be included on the same cart. Everyone would give him a second chance then. But if solidcorp tells cd-w that his version must be discontinued and destroyed, solidcorp will probably be chased by people waving pitchforks and torches.

Solidcorp and cd-w could always team up and both versions could be included on the same cart. Everyone would give him a second chance then.

That would be nice, yes. But that's not the only option he has.

But if solidcorp tells cd-w that his version must be discontinued and destroyed, solidcorp will probably be chased by people waving pitchforks and torches.

He never said so, or did he?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

First impressions always make the most impact. Including impacted bowels from rotten elevator food. Team up? Yah, that'd be the day. The differences are like my left and right buttcheeks, with a smelly divide in the middle. CD-W's only hope now is to make a StarCastle+ version or a sequel or something.

I would like to spread the links to this thread and this one: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/184943-star-castle-2600-2011-at-video-game-summit/page__st__275__p__2337256__fromsearch__1#entry2337256

It's a great insight to some behind the scenes action.

Edited by Keatah