IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

To be developed truly authentically like back in the day, wouldn't the same tools need to have been used? Back then we didn't have Stella or that type of debugger to cheat with. Today we do. So saying that it couldn't be done back then might have been pretty accurate. Maybe it could have been done, but not in the time allotted?

When I saw this thread the other day I went to pledge for the $50 cart, but I realized a pledge meant charging my credit card now. I'm a little strung out right now, so I'll have to hold off on pledging for now, but I like the idea and hope you meet your goal.

Mmm, yeah. I've never dealt with this 'Kickstarter' before. I'm considering the $50 pledge as well, but I don't really like the idea of getting charged $50 now, and then waiting a long time for a project to go ahead.

If I make a pledge and the project proceeds, what's the timeline like after that...?

It's my understanding that no one is charged until the Kickstarter is complete and successful. If it is not successful, no one is charged.

Estimated delivery time for cartridges is July 2012.

It's all on the Kickstarter page.

Wow, I'm totally impressed with the turnout! 14,000 and rising! I'm glad to see that your hard-work is going to pay off. I'm glad ya stuck to your guns.

To be developed truly authentically like back in the day, wouldn't the same tools need to have been used? Back then we didn't have Stella or that type of debugger to cheat with. Today we do. So saying that it couldn't be done back then might have been pretty accurate. Maybe it could have been done, but not in the time allotted?

I think that in order for you to get a response from the man himself, you'll need to sign up for the $250 pledge...which includes an hour phone call!

That way, you can tell him all about how his game needed to be developed with time specific equipment to be considered worthy of your praise. You could also tell him about how he cheated by using a modern debugger...I'm sure he won't hang up, not for that kinda scratch!

Or maybe you could debate whether or not that other guy (the Yars developer) could have done it given the same equipment.

Basically, you can talk and talk (and talk) about your opinions, and he'll be forced to listen!...but only if you pony up the $250, so you better have all your observations, opinions and theories written down (I bet you've got plenty more than the ones you triple-posted here)...that way, he can address each and every one of your thoughts. Cause that's what your deserve, after all: it's all about YOU, never forget it! :grin:

• Like 1

I'll quadruple post them! Again and again. The idiocy in this thread is beyond belief!

No programmer is worth spending that kind of bux deluxe on. Not a mere 2600 programmer, not a the man who directed the team that put together the DSKY software on the Apollo project. Not even that Woz guy. Programming is just a job, like driving a train or flying a plane. Here you lay down the bits, take a break, and do it again. Day in and day out. Sometimes something nice results, sometimes not.

Pay $250... for the rights to an interview.. MY ASS!

My question will be answered sooner or later. I have no doubt.

Shit, man, maybe the guy will answer my question if he's out there cutting grass or taking out the trash or some sort of yard work, if I blow by.

SC: It's gonna be 92 degrees this week or so I hear!!

Edited by Keatah

I'll quadruple post them! Again and again. The idiocy in this thread is beyond belief!

No programmer is worth spending that kind of bux deluxe on. Not a mere 2600 programmer, not a the man who directed the team that put together the DSKY software on the Apollo project. Not even that Woz guy. Programming is just a job, like driving a train or flying a plane. Here you lay down the bits, take a break, and do it again. Day in and day out. Sometimes something nice results, sometimes not.

Pay $250... for the rights to an interview.. MY ASS!

My question will be answered sooner or later. I have no doubt.

Shit, man, maybe the guy will answer my question if he's out there cutting grass or taking out the trash or some sort of yard work, if I blow by.

SC: It's gonna be 92 degrees this week or so I hear!!

Dude, you're having a meltdown :mad: , perhaps a nice glass of good ol' turnip juice might calm ya down?

Apparently, over 250 contributors agreed that those 'bux deluxe' are indeed worth spending, to the tune of (and counting) $14,000 dollars! Can't ya just be happy for the guy?

• Like 1

Dude, you're having a meltdown :mad: , perhaps a nice glass of good ol' turnip juice might calm ya down?

Cop: "Sir, clam down."

Innocent Dude: "Am am calm."

Cop: "SIR! CALM DOWN!"

Innocent Dude: "I AM CALM!"

Cop: "Sir, stop resisting!"

Innocent Dude: "I'm not resisting! You have my arm so far behind my back that I'm involuntarily twitching in agony!"

Cop: "Sir, I won't tell you again. STOP RESISTING!"

Innocent Dude: "Holy F-ing mango titty muffins from outer space! Did you have to slam my face into the cement?!! I'm not resisting!!!"

Cop: "Sir, if you don't stop bleeding on me, I'll be forced to use the Taser."

Innocent Dude: "Don't tase me, bro! (I never thought I'd actually say that and mean it.)"

Cop: "Sir, you just kicked an officer of the law!"

Innocent Dude: "I didn't mean to. I also didn't mean to sh*t my pants, but stuff like that happens when you get zapped with a Taser!"

A lot of

going on here in this thread. Anybody observe the directions it happens in?

I bet this is the most talked about homebrew in the entire history of videogaming.

More than Halo 2600? At least it brings attention to the Atari 2600 (whether or not he was scared into selling his version to beat the other one to market).

And yeah, yeah, yeah, there's room for both versions, blah, blah, blah. I have read more than a few times where AA members said they had to choose one homebrew over another because they couldn't afford to buy more than that. Many AA members would like to own every homebrew, but the reality is that they often have to choose the one they think they might like the best or might be worth more money if they decide to sell it later. And when two versions of the same game are going to be released, guess which one is probably going to sell more? That's right. You guess it. The version that is released first. Who has the money to buy both versions besides hardcore collectors and trust fund kids?

I think Halo 2600 comes close to being the most talked about.

if you have an harmony you can d/l the rom of both versions of star castle and have them.

but I see your point the way the ecconmy is going not many of us can afford

buying actual carts of two games. unless your collector.

the one that will sell more will most likely be cd-w's simply because

after scotts kickstart ends it won't be made after the intial run

while chris's version will be like the engizer bunny and it will keep going

and going and going.

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

I'm trying to save up for the Rom and PDF only option. Will this be available after the close of the kickstart campaign?

After it closes it won't be available

This may be the only chance you have to get Star Castle 2600, after this Kickstarter campaign there are no plans to produce or make available any additional cartridges, CD's, or materials

Shit.. not even the download link to the rom and .pdf??

chances are if youask somebody who got it they can prob e-mail it to you

but now you see my one point why cd-w's version will sell more then scotts

one will be taken off the market making it more of collectors item

and the other will still be able to be sold (as well as have it's own

rom available)

I've already d/l copy of cd-w's first release canidate and played it actually good.

About 10,000 is good for a homebrew. Anything more than this is gravy in the cup.

Perhaps if we go pump gas together at the mobil station I can gain some insight for free. Free stuff is good.

This is going to be the most profitable homebrew by far. So when it comes to good marketing, be deserves all credits.

Though I do not like to to think ahead how this might create greed and negatively influence the future of homebrewing (collaboration, code sharing, free downloads etc.).

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

That's only because scott is out to maximise his return. Other homebrews are far more popular or technically better feats, but the programmers have not been driven to maximise the $$$.

That's what I meant to say.

Until now the general attitude was to satisfy the community. Which means carts and boxes for collectors and people who want to play on real hardware and free downloads for emulator usage (even Harmony didn't change that).

I really hope it stays that way, even though Scott has proven now that there are quite a lot of people out there, who could be milked for profit.

• Like 1

Well, I'm in! I for one am happy that we get the game, and the programmer gets properly compensated for his work. I'm a gamer and collector, and I'm very happy to have a chance to play this version. I will also be buying CD-Ws version, which looks incredible. Viva Atari!!!

Though I do not like to to think ahead how this might create greed and negatively influence the future of homebrewing (collaboration, code sharing, free downloads etc.).

I wouldn't worry - I think a big part of the appeal, as with Rob Fulop's Actionauts, is that Scott worked at Atari back in the day.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry - I think a big part of the appeal, as with Rob Fulop's Actionauts, is that Scott worked at Atari back in the day.

It is also a marketing gimmick that isn't likely to work after the novelty wears off.