IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

I appreciate that you read it, what with all the Strider and child-rearing you have to do.

Well, playing with my kid I WANT to do, but I will agree that Strider I HAVE to do. This game has become an obsession. My # 1 will always be the Atari 2600 but video games peaked for me in the 16 bit era. Some amazing stuff came out with the technology available.

Just so I stay somewhat on topic here I'll give Scott another compliment. Coming from someone who operates CNC machinery for a living, that case is pretty cool. I mean, milled out lexan? Nice! I think I found my next winter project...I wonder if I could make some wood or aluminium ones...

• Like 1

Just so I stay somewhat on topic here I'll give Scott another compliment. Coming from someone who operates CNC machinery for a living, that case is pretty cool. I mean, milled out lexan? Nice! I think I found my next winter project...I wonder if I could make some wood or aluminium ones...

Thanks! I was in such a rush to get the shell machined the night before the Video Game Summit, I hadn't realized the machine was racked. It was only a few hundredths of an inch over the approx 4" length of the shell but when you make two cartridge halves open side up, then flip one half over to mate with the other the error is doubled along the edges. It's minor, no one else noticed but bugs the heck out of me.

I just started subscribing to Home Machinist and Digital Machinist. There is a heck of a lot for me to learn about machining.

I'll try to remember to put the G-Code on the CD - try not to laugh too hard. ;)

Edited by solidcorp
  • Like 2

I'd just like to point out that "my" version is actually a team effort:

Nathan Strum produced the awesome sprites and artwork and spent a lot of time play testing the code.

David Dries and Nathan are working on the label and manual for the game.

Ivan Machado produced the awesome arcade style sound effects.

Richard 'Kulor' Armijo produced the cool title tune.

Fred Quimby helped with the ARM code to make the game work on the Harmony cart.

Thomas Jentzsch is currently optimising and extending the code to make it an even closer match to the arcade version.

Stephen Anthony extended Stella to support the Star Castle bank switching scheme.

All these people freely gave their time to make my version as good as it could be (apologies if I've left anyone else out!).

Chris

This is what homebrewing is all about... and why I fully support and will purchase this version.

• Like 7

...I just got one today, and the action is better than I expected!

It has buttons with a light spring that you can tap very quickly.

I will always compare it to the action of a regular arcade button, and it is quite close!

Picture attached.

P.S. If you want one cheap, and without woodgrain sticker (black):

https://www.atari260...A26CON0194.html

I meant to post about this 12 pages ago, but thanks for recommending that. I went ahead and got one, (glad I did, as now they're out of stock). I like it quite a bit for certain games.

I will always compare it to the action of a regular arcade button, and it is quite close!

Picture attached.

P.S. If you want one cheap, and without woodgrain sticker (black):

https://www.atari260...A26CON0194.html

I meant to post about this 12 pages ago, but thanks for recommending that. I went ahead and got one, (glad I did, as now they're out of stock). I like it quite a bit for certain games.

Can you post a link to a pic, if possible?...always interested in new joysticks!

Picture attached.

Can you post a link to a pic, if possible?...always interested in new joysticks!

KevinMos3: You're welcome! Loved it so much, I just had to give a review. Went to buy a 2nd one and found they were gone.

atarilovesyou: It's in my 2600 gallery. And here:

post-29575-0-65665600-1336366969_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think the blue/white one is cooler but harder to find :)

post-9102-0-38900700-1336395379.gif

Wow, never saw that kind!

I thought you were talking about the track and field red/white/blue controller.

I already have the 2 different woodgrain ones. (Same except for the white lettering.)

They are for anything that can take an Atari stick, I know C64 computer is the same.

It's the only way to play Star Castle, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Phoenix, Galaxian, Pole Position, 7800 Moon Cresta, ...can't think of more right now...

You'll never guess who just pledged and sent me a nice PM on Kickstarter, Steven Scavone, the Jaguar Gorf guy!

Along with his pledge, did he offer any advice regarding the commercial legitimacy of using a trademarked title? Stranger than fiction, enquiring minds want to know! :ponder: :lol:

• Like 2

Regarding Star Castle Kickstarter:

I find it statistically fascinating that (with less than a week to go) about 100 want the rom on CD $20, about 100 want the Cartridge & CD $50, and about 100 want the Cartridge with Box & CD $100.

I never would have guessed it would break down so even!

... and all I want is a version that plays on a hacked FlashBack2 :_(

I have no way to test it but Star Castle 2600 probably will. It uses standard F8 bank switching (plus a little something for the blinking lights), if Asteroids runs this should.

I have no way to test it but Star Castle 2600 probably will. It uses standard F8 bank switching (plus a little something for the blinking lights), if Asteroids runs this should.

Oooooooo!! I just got interested! :-o If anyone who buys Star Castle 2600 can test it in a FB2 for me and get back to me that would be awesome!

I would very much like to contact the Star Castle license holder.

I was, at one time, thinking of purchasing the rights. I don't know that I ever would or not because of issues with the better half...

Keatah, how much are the rights? Who is the IP holder? How can I reach them?

(did you ever find Earth Friend?)

Andrew, Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 AM you posted:

...I've contacted the copyright holder of Star Castle just to see what they have to say. I'll share their reply, if any.

and I replied Thu Jul 21, 2011 at 10:23 privately via messenger:

...I have really really been trying hard to get the Star Castle license and am curious to find out who you are contacting at which company. You said it as though you *know* who the legal license holder is. As I said, I already talked to WB, WMS, and Atari, none of which know they have the license. If you have any inroads I would sure appreciate it if you either shared them or had them contact me...

Who did you contact? Did they have the rights? How can I reach them?

If anyone else in the community is able to help me contact the Star Castle license holder I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

D. Scott Williamson

Just saw this one, why would you be contacting Atari? WB would be the one who owns the property. Cinematronics wound up with WMS after the parent company, Tradewest, was bought out by them. WMS reorganized and put all their video games properties under Midway Games, which was then spun off on it's own. Midway's collective IP and Chicago headquarters was then bought by WB and placed under Waner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. Atari was never associated with it.

And a legal department not being familiar with what they all own and don't from years of mergers and transfers isn't surprising. We work with Atari Ineractive's legal department helping them figure out stuff like that all the time. If you got a release that's great, but I would still help them discover they actualy own the property and do a full license. Releases aren't iron clad.

Oooooooo!! I just got interested! :-o If anyone who buys Star Castle 2600 can test it in a FB2 for me and get back to me that would be awesome!

Six days left to get a cart $50. You can't buy it new after six days from now.

You would have to buy it second hand after it can be tested on a Flashback 2 when it ships in July from someone who wants to sell their copy, or run the ROM on the Harmony flash cart.

I would say that this version runs on a modified Flashback 2. The carts that do not run have extra ram on the cart (this doesn't). CD-W's version uses extra ram.

CD-W's version is superior in every way. Why waste your money on an inferior product?.

Two possible reasons:

1. Big bucks on eBay from selling a rare cartridge.
    __
  2. Hoarding is a powerful drug.

There's a third reason I'm mulling over - to review the game.

But at this point, I'm just mulling.