What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

811 replies to this topic

#201 Andrew Davie OFFLINE  

Andrew Davie

Stargunner

• 1,586 posts
  • Dr.Boo

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:21 AM

Having experienced first-hand Atari's jealous protection of their trademark property, particularly the name and logo, I would be extremely surprised if they'd allow either on this product.
Good luck.

#202 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,775 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:30 AM

pssssh, lets get the first million dollar atari 2600 game out there! That will get notice! ;)

#203 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 6,131 posts
  • Staying Frosty

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:51 AM

I haven't sold anything, so you, Chris, and Atari Age got permission from Konami to use Juno First's logo and likeness to sell a commercial product?

*smacks forehead*

I knew I forgot to do something!

Hang on a sec'...
  • Milk
  • Eggs
  • Cheese
  • Pester sixth-largest videogame company in the world to ask them if we can sell a handful of copies of a port of an obscure 30-year-old arcade game which they've never even bothered putting out on their own compilations for a 35-year-old obsolete game console to a small group of enthusiasts
Thanks!

#204 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

Stargunner

• 1,744 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:39 AM

So why are we seeing picutres of this game with a box and all that, there is no one EVER going to spend that much money on one video game.

#205 Cebus Capucinis OFFLINE  

Cebus Capucinis

Not-so-secretly Trolling

• 8,013 posts
  • Wiseass Extraordinaire

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:07 AM

This thread is ri-DONK-u-lous.

#206 bennybingo OFFLINE  

bennybingo

Quadrunner

• 5,882 posts
  • Wasting my life...one Shatner at a time.

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:13 AM

Hillarious!

#207 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 8,091 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:34 PM

Press, press, press. Negative press is better than no press.

#208 Bakasama OFFLINE  

Bakasama

Stargunner

• 1,466 posts
  • Alcohol is Free

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:44 PM

This thread is ri-DONK-u-lous.

So how does it compare with the Knight Rider thread?

#209 UberArcade OFFLINE  

UberArcade

Moonsweeper

• 297 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:01 PM

What I enjoy the most about these threads is the fact that Star Castle is a really crappy game in the first place. Even the arcade game sucked.

#210 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 8,091 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:45 PM

What I enjoy the most about these threads is the fact that Star Castle is a really crappy game in the first place. Even the arcade game sucked.

I never spent any money on it back in the day, nor would I now. What we have here is sensationalism of the tabloid style.

#211 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 28,401 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:46 PM

It's called trolling, which is why the other thread was locked in the first place.

#212 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

Stargunner

• 1,463 posts
  • Custom Status

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:49 PM

I'm about halfway done with my game- Since (starcastle) is $32k, I'll offer my half game for $64k, and whoever buys it can decide if I should finish the second half for another $64k. Any takers?

#213 bennybingo OFFLINE  

bennybingo

Quadrunner

• 5,882 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:01 PM

I actually enjoyed Star Castle when I was younger. I used to play it almost every day on the walk home from school...but that doesn't mean that I would pay more for it than any other homebrew I currently own (and it is definitely not worth more than my car).

What cracks me up is that this thread it is still going...on and on and on.

So, as long as it is still going...@solidcorp

IMHO, why even bother to produce artwork and a snazzy looking clear cartridge shell. At the asking price tag of $32,000, NOBODY is ever going to even get to play this game (solidcorp's version), much less enjoy owning a freakin' box!!!! :rolling:

#214 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 8,091 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:14 PM

Never say never. I entertained the notion of buying it at one time. But thankfully cooler heads prevailed.
As a purveyor of fine classic electronics I consider anything and everything.

#215 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 28,401 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:31 PM

Never say never. I entertained the notion of buying it at one time. But thankfully cooler heads prevailed.
As a purveyor of fine classic electronics I consider anything and everything.

A.) I am shocked your little head was in on the discussion.
B.) It ain't classic.

:P

#216 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 8,091 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:42 PM

I stopped thinking about it once I saw all the ill will surrounding it. And for me to purchase it would have made me look like an ass.

#217 Shawn Sr. OFFLINE  

Shawn Sr.

Pale Emperor

• 13,369 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:47 PM

I kinda doubt if it was made available, there would be a big hub-bub about it from the copyright owners. Whether it's solidcorps version or if cd-w finishes his. Atari didn't make a deal about medieval mayhem or namco about the pac-man hacks being sold at the AA store. Plus some of the other homebrew games available are remakes.

You have not been around long enough to know that yes they did call the fun police on the hacks and homebrews and for years many of them could not be purchased from the AA store.

#218 Matthew OFFLINE  

Matthew

Chopper Commander

• 234 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:03 PM

I actually enjoyed Star Castle when I was younger. I used to play it almost every day on the walk home from school...but that doesn't mean that I would pay more for it than any other homebrew I currently own (and it is definitely not worth more than my car).

IMHO, why even bother to produce artwork and a snazzy looking clear cartridge shell. At the asking price tag of $32,000, NOBODY is ever going to even get to play this game (solidcorp's version), much less enjoy owning a freakin' box!!!! :rolling:

Solidcorp is trolling you!.

#219 bennybingo OFFLINE  

bennybingo

Quadrunner

• 5,882 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:14 PM

Solidcorp is trolling you!.

you and me both...

#220 Cebus Capucinis OFFLINE  

Cebus Capucinis

Not-so-secretly Trolling

• 8,013 posts
  • Wiseass Extraordinaire

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:11 PM

So....what's the deal with Star Castle?

Posted Image

#221 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 28,401 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:56 PM

It's a show about nothing!

#222 frogstar_robot OFFLINE  

frogstar_robot

Dragonstomper

• 751 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:46 PM

So how does it compare with the Knight Rider thread?

Only in the amount of derision. Solidcorp did actual work even if nobody else ever enjoys it.

Looking forward to next New Year's Eve. Might even think of trying for the (official) yearly thread bump.

#223 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 2,048 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 PM

I don't get the negativity for the Star Castle game.
It's a less kiddie version of Yars' Revenge with a space ship ( not a fly ). And Yars' Revenge is arguably one of the top 2600 titles!
In Star Castle you get chased around so you must keep moving, and when you finally get a shot path to the enemy ship, it fires giant statbursts at you! The fewer the barrier sections, the higher the background pitch -- which increases the gamplay tension.
I'll glady buy and add any / all versions that I can to add to my collection.
What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

#224 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

Stargunner

• 1,463 posts
  • Custom Status

Posted Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:47 PM

I don't think there's any negativity for the game. If you want to buy what is currently the only known copy for the 2600, the programmer will gladly sell it to you for $32,768. He'll even let you decide if he gets to make another copy (or copies) after you buy the first one. I think that sums up this thread, give or take.

#225 Goochman OFFLINE  

Goochman

Quadrunner

• 6,317 posts
  • Moongates to the Past

Posted Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:30 PM

Ill trade my flying squirrell suit for the first copy - that should get me in before Seinfeld..............

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users