IGNORED

XBOX, softmod using mod chipped xbox?

mimo

It ought to be possible, but the main problem is that an unmodded xbox will not accept a hard drive unless it is locked specifically to the encryption key stored in the EEPROM. You at the very least have to find a way to read the EEPROM data off of the unmodded box.

Or if you don't mind taking things apart, a good chip mod should be movable between units. Most of them may only have one wire other than the header, probably to the power/reset button. Move the chip over, get an EEPROM dump (for just in case), format the drive, lock the drive, then remove the chip.

Of course newer board revisions will require a header rebuild to support the mod chip.

EDIT: Hmmmm... and once you've installed the new hard drive, you will still need at least a softmod to be able to install stuff on it.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

I'm a little confused on exactly what you want to do. What you want to do is softmod your friend's Xbox so that you can install a bigger hard drive?

softmodding the old Xbox is by far the easiest way to do things. I have like 4 Xbox's modded that way with all varying HD sizes. My main Xbox is a 320GB. I have a 120GB Xbox. An 80GB Xbox. A 40GB Xbox.

The preferred modding thing I use is CASH v1.1 or Cereal killas automated softmod helper. It's an automated wizard-like CD that does everything. Just download it, burn it to disc, run the disc, follow the on-screen prompts and you have a fully modded Xbox that can do everything from running XBMC to emulators to illegal ISOs, etc. etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The preferred modding thing I use is CASH v1.1 or Cereal killas automated softmod helper. It's an automated wizard-like CD that does everything. Just download it, burn it to disc, run the disc, follow the on-screen prompts and you have a fully modded Xbox that can do everything from running XBMC to emulators to illegal ISOs, etc. etc.

Do you have to hot swap a stock Xbox hard drive still with CASH v1.1? I haven't soft modded Xboxes in years but I used the NDURE INSTALLER FOR XBOXHDM via the hot swap method and PC boot disk. It worked well but it was a bit unnerving hot swapping an Xbox drive to my PC that's for certain; getting the timing right for the hot swap was a real pain.

Would you recommend CASH v1.1 over NDURE INSTALLER FOR XBOXHDM onlysublime? Is hot swapping and a PC boot disc still necessary or has a better way to softmod an Xbox been created in the past 4 years?

• 2 weeks later...