IGNORED

Taking a Look at Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

pocketmego

My 4-year old asked for this for Christmas and the more I looked into to it the more I was, personally, intrigued to see it in action. Well luckily enough Santa dropped off the Wii version and, can you believe it, about 5 or so figurines (one per character type I think). He has absolutely loved it and I have really enjoyed playing it with him. Luckily for me he hasn't quite grasped the concept of articulating the nunchuck while using the wiimote(at least not fast enough to avoid the "bad guys"), so I sit next to him moving the character around while he shoots everything and, constantly, switches figures. Here's a few things I noticed so far:

1. I'm glad that we got the Wii version. As a Wii/360 owner this generation, I am once again mad at Microsoft for making wireless accesories so difficult to produce for 360. Didn't we go through this with the MadCatz stuff for SFIV? In any case,since the game was, allegedly, made for Wii and ported to the HD systems I don't feel like I'm losing anything in getting the Wii version.

2. For those still looking for figures...stay the course. I've seen them popping up at Walmart, Target, etc.. Don't pay the ridiculous prices for "standard" figures. The brilliance of this product is that it creates that pre-holiday "gotta have it" feeling that leads parents to do most anything to satisfy the kids. The in-game "ads" for other figures doesn't help but just keep the faith. I'm sure Activision has it together enough to get more of these things out on the market.

3. Mark for Classic Game Room should be getting a commission from Activision. His reviews of these "toys" have been great. He definitely recognizes that this game resonates with little and "big" kids alike. Well Done.

4. Could this be the type of gaming product that makes "physical media" a necessity? I don't mean to redirect the thread but we, as classic collectors and gamers, have worried about the trend towards cloud/digital download gaming. Perhaps Spiro and his pals are doing well enough to stem the tide for a bit. Just something I was pondering while I watched my kids fighting over who get to put the next figure on the portal.

Enjoy

Bob

GREAT post, Dr. and I really enjoyed reading your thoughts/opinions!! :thumbsup:

As a newbie to the game, does anyone have suggestions on which additional characters I should seek out in order to open every area of the game? I believe you need 8 different elements... correct me if I'm wrong.... so buying some add-on characters looks to be my next goal but I'm not sure which I should be on the lookout for.

Mendon

• Like 1

You need one character of each element to open all the 'gates' in the game. The included characters are Magic, Tech, and Water class. I think you can finish story mode with just the three included, but you can't find everything in the game. Every character you scan adds a unique Challenge level too. I think some characters have in-game advantages... ie only water Skylanders can swim. So, if you want to play two players you might want two characters from the types with element advantages. All of the available characters are grouped by elements on the back of the game box, so it's easy to reference in-store.

There are also a few level packs with one character and add-on level 'toy'. Crypt, Pirate ship, and Empire of Ice are the extra level packs. There were also a couple store exclusive characters, but there's a wide release 3-pack on the way that includes the 2011 store exclusives.

It's pretty sneaky to require so many add-ons to explore the whole game. Parents buy whichever Skylanders are in-stock, then have to go back to find other elements to access the rest of the game. Clever marketing or fleecing naive buyers... hmmm...

Edited by boog

I went to a local Best Buy, Target, and Walmart yesterday and NONE of the stores had any of the additional figures. They displays were totally empty and the only starter kit I saw was one 3DS version sitting lonely by itself at Target.

This game appears to be more popular than I would have ever believed.

Mendon

This game appears to be more popular than I would have ever believed.

Mendon

They predicted a shortage a little while before Xmas. I haven't seen a fully stocked display since! I do think once wave 3 hits the stores, which I thought I read was going to be this month, you will see the displays filled again. Amazon currently has a few figure in stock at retail prices ($7.99)

Bash - Earth

Drobot - Tech

VooDood - Magic

The starter kit comes with a Tech character and a Magic character (Trigger Happy & Spyro) so you may consider getting an element you don't already have.

Each figure has it's own Heroic Challenge that any figure can do and get the bonus, (example: complete the Heroic Challenge and get +3 to speed) so even if you get a double element they are still of use.

Also I should mention before Christmas I snagged a couple figures off Amazon for $5.99, not sure if that was just a holiday deal but that was the cheapest I saw them new, except when ToysRUs had the buy on get one free deal..

Question: I'm now playing the game and was looking over my "collection" within the game after completing the first mission. A message pop'd up saying something like "Figures can be used on any portal but can only be in one collection".

I'm not sure what this means..... Are they saying that once a figure is used within a game, the figure is now "locked" onto that consoles collection?

Example, I have VooDood and use it in my game. I then give it or trade it to someone else to use. Are they saying that the figure I gave/traded away can be used on another portal but not be included on the collection screen of the game for the "new" owner of the figure?

Maybe I should read the instructions. ;)

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Are they saying that once a figure is used within a game, the figure is now "locked" onto that consoles collection?

I think it means you cannot earn collectible items on another console. For instance if you get a pot hat on your friends console, you aren't going to actually keep that item, since your figure is tied to another console and you are just visiting his game. I think it even says something if you try putting one of your figures on your friends console. It will ask you a question about allowing that figure to visit or something. Been awhile since I've done it.

At any time you can completely reset a figure to default BTW. So if you say sold one of your figures, you could wipe it clean so to speak. A figure never becomes tied to any one particular console.

Are they saying that once a figure is used within a game, the figure is now "locked" onto that consoles collection?

I think it means you cannot earn collectible items on another console. For instance if you get a pot hat on your friends console, you aren't going to actually keep that item, since your figure is tied to another console and you are just visiting his game. I think it even says something if you try putting one of your figures on your friends console. It will ask you a question about allowing that figure to visit or something. Been awhile since I've done it.

At any time you can completely reset a figure to default BTW. So if you say sold one of your figures, you could wipe it clean so to speak. A figure never becomes tied to any one particular console.

IDK about that, my skylanders bring hats, stats, everything except $$ over to my 3ds.

IDK about that, my skylanders bring hats, stats, everything except $$ over to my 3ds.

Well I'm not sure about the 3DS version, isn't it an entirely different game altogether? I don't have the 3DS version at all so I have no clue how that works.

What you are doing is what I said I thought could be done, taking your collection items from the game you figures are currently "synced" with, visiting another console, and using those items for yourself. Now can those same figures collect items from the 3DS game and carry them back over to your other game console and have those items part of you other systems Skylanders collection?

I don't think you can, I think any item you pick up in a friend game, goes to your friends collection. Could be wrong though. I have played co-op with another person using their figures, but didn't pay too much attention I guess.

Well I'm not sure about the 3DS version, isn't it an entirely different game altogether? I don't have the 3DS version at all so I have no clue how that works.

What you are doing is what I said I thought could be done, taking your collection items from the game you figures are currently "synced" with, visiting another console, and using those items for yourself. Now can those same figures collect items from the 3DS game and carry them back over to your other game console and have those items part of you other systems Skylanders collection?

I don't think you can, I think any item you pick up in a friend game, goes to your friends collection. Could be wrong though. I have played co-op with another person using their figures, but didn't pay too much attention I guess.

You can bring stuff back and forth, however they are greyed out in the collector portion if the items were found in another game.

You can bring stuff back and forth, however they are greyed out in the collector portion if the items were found in another game.

Right that makes sense. They are greyed out because they were found on another persons collection, you would still have to collect them on your gamesave.

Still, even though they are tied to one game save, at any time you can reset a figure to factory defaults, so it's not like in the future you can't sell or give them to someone else.

Also, I found a thread on another forum that discusses using figures on both the 3DS and a console...

http://www.gamefaqs....02820/681308586

I just started playing and tonight retrieved my first piece for rebuilding the Core of Light, so I'm at about 4% completion. I must say this game is really fun to play. The humor of Flynn cracks me up at times, while the other dialog and story plot seems to say "Sit back, relax, and just have a good time".

But then, not all of it is a relaxing play, either. I just attempted my first two Heroic Challenges and completed Spyro's on my 2nd attempt. But then I tried a 2nd Challenge... can't recall which character it was designed for... but it was FULL of transporters you had to use to find an object. Four times I tried and the end result was four failures as time ran out each time before I found the object. I may need pencil and paper to remember the order I'm transporting if I'm to complete this sucker. :ponder:

Overall, this is really a fun game that is developed really, really well. Yes, yes... there is a lot of profit to be made from selling figures, but the end result is still a game that is a blast to play, with accessories that actually add to the enjoyment of the game.

A couple more questions:

Does getting 100% completion for a level add anything at all, other than bragging rights? I mean, do you get a prize like money or a power boost or anything? (As an aside, I haven't gotten 100% on any of the levels I've completed so far as I either didn't find an item or two or didn't complete it in 3min or whatever).

How long are the add-on levels, like the Pirate Ship and Undead Crypt? Are they really short or more like a Chapter in the game?

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

i'm still resisting this purchase. i probably should've gotten it when it was $20 off at (Target i think) last week. however my wife will frown upon a 30-11/12-year-old buying bite sized action figures. you should have heard her mouth when i finally got a 3DS. jesus. have mercy on us all.

I was wary of this title because of how it's taken micro-transactions into the real world. All the content is in the game you've purchased, but to access it all you have to pay a good chunk of extra funds for figures, etc. HOWEVER... after hearing really great stuff about it, I picked it for my kids on the Wi, and it really is a great game. Knowing that more purchases were going to be coming, I couldn't stomach the extra $10 for the PS3 version.

I like that the Store exclusives were limited. Originally Drill Sergeant (Tech) was a Walmart Exclusive, but I saw him in Target this weekend. The variety of gameplay is very nice, and the exploration/collection aspect of the game is very good.

On GameFaqs I saw a posting that new figure waves are scheduled for January & February. But I agree, now as soon as our local stores stock figures, they are cleaned out VERY quickly.

i went to go grab one from Target the other day since they extend the $20-off sale, but all they had was the 3DS one. seeing in videos how much of a pain in the ass it is to line up the portal to the handheld, i really am not interested in that version. besides, i don't want to slide my new 3DS around and scratch it up. don't wanna ruin that beautiful Zelda finish!

I've been watching Classic Game Room's review, and for me it's a LOT like Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy from what I see in terms of gameplay. Might have to check it out.

I agree, and with as popular as it is, I hope they release a more adult game similar to a Gauntlet type game with not so kiddie figures that you can level up.

One of my son's knew I was looking for a few figures for the game and called me over the weekend from Toy's R Us to let me know they had a few in stock. He named off what they had and that the price of each was $9.99, $2 more than what I thought the MSRP was.

Anyone know if Activision is raising the price on figures or whether this might be a "let's cash in on the popularity" price increase by Toy's R Us?

Here is an interesting article from Kotaku on the figure shortage: http://kotaku.com/5878728/where-have-all-the-skylanders-gone-uncle-activision

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

One of my son's knew I was looking for a few figures for the game and called me over the weekend from Toy's R Us to let me know they had a few in stock. He named off what they had and that the price of each was $9.99, $2 more than what I thought the MSRP was.

Mendon

It's just Toys R Us.

They jacked the price up $2. I suspects it's an attempt to keep them out of bankruptcy, something that I've heard has been looming for them for years.

I saw that a few weeks ago, they had their Skylanders "on sale" at $2 off, but when I checked the sign they were still $7.99!! Needless to say, I won't even look for figures there anymore.

Here is an interesting article from Kotaku on the figure shortage: http://kotaku.com/58...ncle-activision

As for right here, right now, I'd suggest checking online for retailers carrying the toys, though I'd avoid eBay, where price gouging is in full effect. Maybe try making friends with a retail employee, someone with the ability to call you when the boxes arrive.

Or you could just come over to my house; I have all of them so far. I think I might go roll around in them right now.

:rolling: :lol:

I love the concept. The game might be a little kiddish for some people but it's definitely a cool idea and the gameplay certainly looks interesting.

It's obvious the collector types must have all the characters so the shortages don't surprise me.

I was telling my brother about the game tonight and he thought it would be cool to do the same thing with race cars and a garage as the portal. Put the car you want to race in the garage and presto. No clearing levels or buying online only content to get the cars you want, just buy it in a store. Then you can also display your cars outside the game.

I figured the hardcore RPG crowd would love doing something similar with D&D type characters.

This could get so out of hand!

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 1

I'll have to go back and check but I could swear that Wizards of the Coast released some sort of D&D spin-off table top game that used collectable characters. The starter set came with a couple characters and then you bought additional characters as you wanted to improve your party.

I'll check it out when I get a free moment but maybe someone else here remembers what I'm posting about.

Mendon

UPDATE! Found it here: http://en.wikipedia....Miniatures_Game

I could see a Skylanders type game using miniatures like those. Might be a blast to play!

Edited by Mendon
  • Like 1

I'll have to go back and check but I could swear that Wizards of the Coast released some sort of D&D spin-off table top game that used collectable characters. The starter set came with a couple characters and then you bought additional characters as you wanted to improve your party.

I'll check it out when I get a free moment but maybe someone else here remembers what I'm posting about.

Mendon

UPDATE! Found it here: http://en.wikipedia....Miniatures_Game

I could see a Skylanders type game using miniatures like those. Might be a blast to play!

That's exactly what I was talking about. Keep searching, there are a lot of online stores dedicated to this type of stuff. To keep making money, all the company has to do is keep releasing new miniatures with corresponding downloadable content.

There are also pewter characters that people paint themselves. The really hardcore D&D fans could design a character on screen and paint their miniature to match.