IGNORED

Knockout Round 3: Pole Position

zylon

Our game this time around is Pole Position. Run race Malibu GP 8-lap setting and give it all you've got.

Emulation is fine as is whatever control scheme you wish. Pics required as lowest score is eliminated from further play.

Anyone using their "skip" must post here within 24hrs. Players who've used their skip will have an asterisk * next to their name. So far we've had either good luck with everyone having the game and being a good sport. great to see. :)

Round ends 9pm EST Tuesday night December 27th 2011

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

You need not win, just need to not lose. Let the battle begin!

eligible players:

zylon - 103,100

sdamon - 100,650

JacobZu7zu7 - 99,600

Cafeman - 91,500

Sonic R - 90,800

Roadrunner - 85,950

atariron82 - 66,250(eliminated)

Games to be played:

Ms Pacman

Pitfall

Beamrider

Frogger

Defender

River Raid

Centipede

Pacman

Mario Bros

Dig Dug

Pole Position

Space Invaders

Super Cobra

Edited by zylon

I'm afraid I'll have to be the first to use my 'bye week' - as my Pole Position cart (and RealSports Tennis cart) have been misplaced since summer… (likely at a friends home where I brought my 5200 over to play) what's worse, I had doubles of this game and gave it to ubersauraus!

I'm afraid I'll have to be the first to use my 'bye week' - as my Pole Position cart (and RealSports Tennis cart) have been misplaced since summer… (likely at a friends home where I brought my 5200 over to play) what's worse, I had doubles of this game and gave it to ubersauraus!

Skip granted. You may cancel that if you find your cart though.

Skip granted. You may cancel that if you find your cart though.

I'm pretty confident Tennis and Pole Position are at my friends home… it's just that he lives just under an hour from me, and I wouldn't make it out that way til a weekend date when I'm not at work, but being that Christmas is this weekend, I may not see him til next week when we'll be going to the Pistons home opener…

ugh... I was hoping this (and Pitfall) wouldn't have been picked! I'm still trying to complete my 5200 collection... and I'm almost there!

my left hand starts to cramp up on this game, because of holding in the buttons so long as I play. Does that happen to you guys too?

actually no. not yet, i played for an hour and my thumb/hand is a-okay.

q*bert cramps my hands though... galaxian does wear out my thumb after a few waves...

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

Yay, personal best, I could have made to lap 7, but my car went into LO gear on a turn,

and I tried to speed up, but it took me right down to 0 as I was in the wrong gear to speed up.... :P

Although last time we played PP, was my first ever try on 5200. So, still learning...

post-3059-0-20521900-1324503631_thumb.jpg

Took my full concentration... not sure if I can do better! If I got Pole Position, the score would read about 102ks!

99,600 LAP 8 65''90

Was one lane away from completing the 9th and final lap. I crashed twice... one was a small

fender scrape (dumb mistake), and the second was on this "lap 8" a 4 car pile up lol.

post-3059-0-25894800-1324595723_thumb.jpg

I must be missing some skill, because I can't seem to get to lap 8 which is necessary to compete with these high scores.

My lower buttons were not responding well , causing my hand to cramp up trying to press the gas button too hard. So I took apart my favorite 5200 controller and used a pencil eraser to clean the rev9 circuit contacts. Then had to use Missile Command to center the stick when putting it back together. My buttons work great now - except, inexplicably, the pause button no longer registers on this stick! I must have kinked a wire somehow.

Anyway my new high is 89,500 but I didn't manage to get a picture this time.

I also spotted some kind of bug , I think. You know how the max speed is 195 MPH? For 1 game only, it was going up to a max of 217 MPH. It didn't seem I was actually going faster but that's what the speedometer read. I have no idea if this is an easter egg or how to get it to work - it never repeated.

...I also spotted some kind of bug , I think. You know how the max speed is 195 MPH? For 1 game only, it was going up to a max of 217 MPH. It didn't seem I was actually going faster but that's what the speedometer read. I have no idea if this is an easter egg or how to get it to work - it never repeated.

I like this bug better. ;) You need to go a number of laps without hitting ANYTHING, including the side strips to get the higher speeds. You can accelerate back up to these speeds at any time after achieving them until you crash once. Shown is the A8 port which seems easier to trigger this.

I've also added my latest play. Hello Mr. HSC record. :)

post-25215-0-08745900-1324742641_thumb.jpg

post-25215-0-32693600-1324742802_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

I wondered if there was a way to trigger the higher speeds. I activated it a 2nd time - this time it allowed me to go up to 211 MPH. I didn't do well that game, not sure if it really helps or not. ?

PP 5200 is evil! How many times my game was ruined by a crash because of unanticipated movements of cars.