IGNORED

NES Battletoads hates us all

NES Battletoads...so good, yet so infuriating. This shall be the thread where all who share in the love/hate relationship that IS a classic gamer and Battletoads!

I'm currently trying to beat this monster. Last year or so it was Ghosts n' Goblins, which is evil in its own right, but Battletoads is a horse of a different colour.

Yes, it's a fun game...and I'm past the point of actually getting angry playing these games (just turn it off, lol), but let's be honest: Battletoads doesn't like you. They took a game that looks cute, and handed it a machete to cut down any attempts to beat it!

With all the pros, it's hard to nitpick, but since I've been playing this game for many years, I've come to some conclusions:

The Ice level Hates You

1. The control isn't as great as you hear. How many times have you accidentally slid off a platform into certain death (yes, I'm talking about YOU, Ice level!)...it's comical, downright comical at times! In the driving levels, it's spot on...but when you really need it, sometimes the game will just decide that it's time for you to pay and you waste three lives trying to hop over a spot which you usually clear in one try.

2. The ice blocks...barely move, yet deal two damage! And usually this happens when you're getting snowballs thrown at your from an evil snowman. Or you're already dodging an indestructible spike turtle. Or you're trying to pick one up and you kick it, causing all kinds of pain. Or you throw it and it does something completely unpredictable. I hate you, ice blocks.

...that's just the ice level, my latest nemesis!

It really is ridiculously difficult; almost unplayably so. The speed bikes still give me nightmares lol.

I'm curious if the difficulty was toned down for Sega Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear versions. If I were to port the game to other consoles the first thing I would do is tone down the difficulty somewhat to make it more enjoyable and bearable.

This is especially true for the portable versions where you can easily throw the handheld and smash it into pieces out of frustration ;)

Edited by guy767

Hardest game ever made, IMHO. And it's not all a honest difficulty either...the game cheats, as the OP noted. It's like the developers WANTED to make sure the game could not be beaten.

Back in the day I could only get a few stages in before I gave up on it.

About two years ago I tried beating the game with the help of a emulator and save states, and I STILL could not do it!

While I think the game can be very cheap at times, I haven't yet noticed any outright cheating...there always is that chance that you 'could' do better, but the difficulty ramps up significantly in that ice level.

One big issue is that there are SO many ways to get killed in one hit, the life bar is almost a joke. The beat em' up double dragon style fighting seems added on at times, just to give players something they could relate to...I've never been killed by the chumps, but the snowman?...he punches you once if you're too close, you die. The dragons?...they knock you down, pick you up and it's a one hit kill. There's plenty others.

But the real killer are the timing issues...the jumps, the cheap 'better remember this part or die' sections. I haven't made it to the snake level in years, but I also remember that one is pretty much 'memorize me or die'...lol.

Still, the game keeps you coming back because of its killer reputation...beat it, and you have some serious NES skills.

i did beat the game, once, with the game genie codes (actual hardware, no emulation)

these are the three codes i used. that and a LOT of patience.

GXXZZLVI Infinite lives

GXEILUSO Enemies easier to kill

AEUZITPA Super fast punching

i find the snow level easy. i had the most trouble with the odd-jumping in the surfing level. the snakes level is SO fun!! except when you fall AAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the way to the bottom. LOL.

Years ago, I tried to beat it with a GameGenie, but I made it as far as the stage where you race the rat to the bottom of the level. I couldn't "double tap run" fast enough and gave up.

Same here on an emulator with savestates, both NES and Genesis versions. I don't see how it's possible. I used Game Genie to skip levels I couldn't beat and even the last level was too hard.

Damn ice level is still a make or break. I've found that patience is the key to the game....patience, and you have to make your moves with confidence. If you half-ass anything in this game, anything!...it'll make you pay. The whole game so far is damage control! The surfing level, at the bomb part near the end, is particularly like this. And I almost finished the snake stage...almost. Too bad it takes like a half hour to practice it for one continue! Oh well...ain't mental...yet.

I think I made it to the ice stage once or twice. Brutal. The game is mentally exhausting, especially if you make it through the latter part of the speeder bike level. I have the Genesis version, for what that's worth. I don't think there's a gameplay difference between Genesis and NES versions. They're both masochistically delicious.

My technique so far is to literally beat the shit out of every enemy (punches, whatever) to score max points. Then, don't die for (hopefully) the first three levels. Dying in the ice level is almost unavoidable, but it's funny how far you can make it if you're on a roll. Precision is the key to the ice level...I know if that FIRST ice block knocks me down twice?...I'm gonna have a shitty level. I've figured out the rest of it, at least on paper. You never know when you're going to have a brain fart. The best is that once you get the patterns, it's not too bad. But those damn snowmen can ruin your day.

The surfing level isn't too tough for me, as long as I don't lose too many lives beating that giant rat boss. The mines at the end can be vicious, but if you can easily beat the speedbikes (which I usually can, but not without trying for many MANY years, lol), the the surfing is definitely do-able.

And the snakes are just fun, even if you die. Once I get my head around that level, I know the latter levels are pure evil. But who knows? I'm on a pretty good roll so far...the ice level no longer makes me puke. But I'm only good for about a game or two a day...ya gotta be fresh. Anything more than that for me, I start getting into the Hate Zone...lol.

If you take the warp in the speed bike level you never have to see that dreaded ice level....

Awww, that's no fun! :P

Indeed!...you just lose out on way too many points and potential free lives if you use the warps...I think there's more than just the bikes, but they're good for practicing the later levels for sure. Still, I gotta take it on clean!

Indeed!...you just lose out on way too many points and potential free lives if you use the warps...I think there's more than just the bikes, but they're good for practicing the later levels for sure. Still, I gotta take it on clean!

Yeah, there's one on the very first level (almost right at the start of it), and there's another at the snake pit as well. I used them a lot as a kid, but generally avoid them these days.

I hated the speed bike level and to this day have never beaten it! It was one of those nes titles you had to buy as a kid when it was released,....just so you too could have your arse kicked!

I am surprised it made it to America with the difficulty level of the release....

Look at the Mario Bros 2 we got in America!