IGNORED

Atari 8-bit emulation on iPad?

Yautja

I dont know if you will ever see an Atari 8 bit emulator for ios. It was a chore just to get Apple to allow the c64 emulator. At one point, Apple took it off the iTunes store. Not saying that it is not possible just that Apple is strict in terms of the majority of programs that they allow on the store.

"All" we need is an Atari Emulator written in JavaScript. The iPad (or iPod Touch 4th or iPhone 4) should be fast enough to run such a piece of software.

Nowerdays, we also can make an "Offline"-App out of websites, so it behaves almost like a nativ iOS app.

Pro:

-Portable (runs on every modern system)

-no restrictions by Apple or other vendors

-no admin rights needed to use the software ... have a browser and run it

Contra:

-reduced battery life while running such an amount of JavaScript code

here is an example of a PC emulator by the author of qemu: http://bellard.org/jslinux/

I dont know if you will ever see an Atari 8 bit emulator for ios. It was a chore just to get Apple to allow the c64 emulator. At one point, Apple took it off the iTunes store. Not saying that it is not possible just that Apple is strict in terms of the majority of programs that they allow on the store.

Apple removed it because the author failed to inform them that Commodore BASIC was enabled which violated the App Store rules...

I'm surprised Microsoft doesn't have an issue with it either since Commodore BASIC is actually Microsoft BASIC...

There are a number of emulators available for jailbroken devices. I don't recall seeing an Atari 8-bit emu, but there is a port of Stella (2600 emulators).

It's definitely possible to port one over, but emulators are a general violation of the iOS developer agreement, so jailbroken devices will likely be the only option.

I think many emulators were also removed from the official android marketplace at one point, but of course you can just download the files and sideload them on android...

Right, I can't find "Droid800". I have only had a Droid for about 5 or 6 weeks, and it must have been taken down before that. Anyone hosting Droid800 somewhere I can get it?

Thanks