IGNORED

3DS Lite, I'm glad I waited

I know you're trying to make a joke, but three reasons:

1) People who hadn't bought the thing the first time 'round but still were interested

2) People who had the first model but like the changes on the redesign

3) Collectors, collectors, nutty-ass collectors

How did Nintendo get people to buy the same console over and over again? And why is it working once again with the 3DS?

Because we're Nintendo suckers who want a bigger 3DS :P

And hey come on.. we only bought a 3DS once so far. :D

Edited by NE146

I'm waiting for the 3DS XL. My very original DS finally is biting the dust, elite beat agents is not registering some taps, and the speakers are crackling. I want a DS Lite for the GBA port, but with my recent Gamecube with the Gameboy player, its no longer necessary. That and I have a gameboy micro (best true portable system, ever). So, instead of getting a DSi XL, I am just going to wait for that... unless missing combos discontinues me from advancing.

My very original DS finally is biting the dust, elite beat agents is not registering some taps, and the speakers are crackling.

My original DS is doing that too. Drives me nuts. I wonder what causes that and if there's an easy fix...

My very original DS finally is biting the dust, elite beat agents is not registering some taps, and the speakers are crackling.

My original DS is doing that too. Drives me nuts. I wonder what causes that and if there's an easy fix...

Its not crackling by headphones, so its just gutting it and replacing the speakers.

What's killing me is the taps not registering. Not a big deal for 95% of games, but EBA is a rhythm game.

Edited by keilbaca

Well, you can get a replacement screen off eBay for around ten bucks + shipping, though getting a DS open isn't a lot of fun.

No, they're not. I know this first hand, the girlfriend decided it was a good idea to buy a broken DSi and to fix it herself. By that she meant me fix it for her. One of the power leads that went from the battery to the board broke off. Thankfully that wire is still holding, the one end was fine, the other end was the size of a pinhead, and it was a surface mount solder joint. Hot glue works amazing to hold that wire in place after soldering it.

I refuse to open one again, I'd rather upgrade my DS to the XL.

Edited by keilbaca

3DS lite? F(censor) that. I mean, I love the 3DS, but what I really want is an XL version.

Oh, and calling it a "lite" has gotten old, I know usually a revision means smaller, but not always (looking at the revisions for the 64, cube, and wii.

If enough games make use of the second stick accessory, then I may get one just so I don't have the fuggly lumpy POS hanging off the side of the system, but we'll see about that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So 1Up is saying there won't be a 3DS Lite announced anytime soon. I have to say they bring up some good points....

Dropping the price of the system last year caused the company to go from making a profit on each system sold to losing money on each one, a position the company was unaccustomed to and one which is contributing to its first annual loss in 30 years. Besides the fact that 3DS in its current form and price is selling quite well, a redesigned system could cost Nintendo more to produce. That means profitability on new hardware isn't a guarantee, and there is no reason to sacrifice that with 3DS now being (in the eyes of many) a desirable system

..... I was holding off getting a 3DS until I knew for sure if there would be a Lite version or not. What do you folks think? Should I wait or buy now?

I think,another unit revision is coming. ;)

Nintendo has dismissed things before and brought a new handheld out or a revision of the current one. :) I take Nintendo's announcements with a grain of salt,man.They like to BS consumers and the Press.I've seen it happen for years now. :lol:

You could get a cheap,used 3DS like me. ;) I'm thinking prices are going to come down more here.

I was waiting to see if they would do anything different (other than the expected price drop), but any current rumored changes wouldn't be worth it to me to wait. I ended up buying one last Saturday along with Ocarina Of Time. Wish I didn't wait so long. It's a really nice handheld.

Nintendo's redesign cycle is usually every 18 months. They did this with the GBA. It may be a rumor at the moment but I'm sure we'll see one.

Given that "Rule of Thumb",then E3 in June should yield us a revision. ;)

Anyone try that twin circle pad thing yet for 3DS I was looking at at GameStop on Sat?It looked interesting,not sure how practical it is though.

The combination of Kid Icarus and Super Mario make the 3DS a "must buy" for me... though not right now. I still have a backlog in my portable gaming pile, and I'm thinking that I might get through a bigger chunk of that first. When I do, if I don't see a revised system on the horizon, I'll probably settle for the current unit. With luck, though, the dual-stick model will be announced by then.