IGNORED

The Wii U from Yahoo News

Not for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Wii, I am not a hater, although I'm no fanboy either.

But the WiiU looks like a misstep to put in as nicely as I can.

So far I have read online that it only supports one controller per console, though there are rumors Nintendo will change that. Also, you can't go into another room with the tablet controller, you have to stay within range of the console. So, other than letting your roommate watch the baseball game (as per their promo video) what use is the ability to play on the tablet?

How expensive is this thing going to be? Assuming it will launch at a price similar to XBox360 or PS3 launch prices, I don't see a lot of parents buying WiiU for their kids (and despite what fans say, that is a big portion of Nintendo's customer base). Also, what happens if little Billy spills his Pepsi on the tablet? Are Nintendo going to happily replace each controller every time this happens?

But two major issues I foresee are the still-reluctant online multiplayer community strategy coming from Nintendo as well as a complete lack of any social network / achievement model. They are relying on third parties to shoulder the online burden, Not a good idea. And as much as I dislike Facebook or Trophy whores, I confess when I fire up my PS3 I can't help but compare my trophies to those of my online friends. I am part of the problem and I fully admit it.

WiiU .... no thanks.

See, I'd rather wait and see how it's going to be used before deciding that I like/hate it. There are a lot of possibilities with that controller and I'll admit I can't imagine them all at the moment.

I'm mildly excited for the system. Probably won't be standing in line outside a store at 4am like I did for the Wii, but I can't imagine skipping out on a Nintendo system altogether.

• Like 2

See, I'd rather wait and see how it's going to be used before deciding that I like/hate it. There are a lot of possibilities with that controller and I'll admit I can't imagine them all at the moment.

I'm mildly excited for the system. Probably won't be standing in line outside a store at 4am like I did for the Wii, but I can't imagine skipping out on a Nintendo system altogether.

LOL, I agree, I was in line for 18 hours for the Wii on launch day. I'd also like to wait and see about it before deciding if it's something for me, I'm just not super excited from what I've seen/heard so far. The price will also have something to do with my decision.

With four TV's and two Wii's in the house, I don't have the problem of someone wanting to watch TV while playing the Wii.

I won't be buying the Wii-U, mostly because I haven't bought a console since the Game Cube. But that doesn't mean I have no interest whatsoever in Nintendo's next console. What I'll be watching for are the reactions of third-party developers over the next year or so. They're the ones who will truly decide the fate of the Wii-U as a gaming platform. If they toy around with the hardware and say "meh", then they won't make games for it, and then Nintendo will be left with supporting the Wii-U themselves, like they did with the Game Cube.

This system will ultimately live or die by the games made. This is an amazing concept, its pretty much a next gen DS.

I think the very first thing they should do is sell DS games in the store, or be able to insert DS games into the controller, or the wiiU.

I'm cautiously optimistic because while a lot of shovelware made it to the Wii, there are quite a few gems that makes the system amazing. A few of my favorites, does not use the wiimote whatsoever. (goldeneye, super smash brothers, tatsunoko vs capcom, Geometry wars Galaxies, the Kamen Rider game that I can't seem to remember the name for the life of me)

I can see some amazing concepts that can come with this. The question is, will it be more shovelware to tap on the screen instead of just poking it with the wiimote, or will there be enough innovative games to make this console absolutely spectacular?

That being said, if I am able to play elite beat agents on it, I am buying it. XD

The Wii U actually looks like the fruits of Nintendo's GBA->GC connectivity + DS interaction + Wii. It should be interesting. I'm taking the ole "wait and see" approach. The thing I admire about Nintendo is how they design their systems to get people to think differently about game design. I just wish more developers could take advantage of this opportunity instead of retrofitting old game designs into new control schemes.

I think the Wii-U will do fine when it comes out. Loads of people will line up, as usual, to get the new Nintendo console. The fact that it comes with an ipad-like device will make it all the more interesting to the technophile "gotta-haves".

Long-term is another story.

Since most of the games that come out probably will make more use of the screen controller, it will mean that the whole "it makes your kids exercise too" bonus will be gone. Personally, to this day I still think the main reason the Wii took off the way it did is because people like Oprah Winfrey and Ellen Degeneris were telling soccer moms across the country that it was "good for their kids".

Long-haul I see the Wii U doing fine. I want to see the final design before I make a decision one way or the other, but I was impressed initially with what little I saw at E3. But this year, I expect much, much more. A few finished games that show actual Wii U gameplay would not just be nice to see, but in my mind it's required before I would make the Wii U a "day one" purchase.

That being said, I too will refrain from the line-standing with this one. If I intend to get one I'll preorder it to make sure I get one in my hands without the hassle. If I don't intend to get it day one, then I'll just wait around until it's generally available without the need to plant myself in a line somewhere.

What worries me is that at the unveiling last year they said it was only going to be about twice as powerful as the PS3. I think it's safe to say that Microsoft will be using a PC based architecture again, and Sony already said they want to make the next platform easier to develop for so they'll probably abandon cell for a more standard generic multi-core chipset. If the 'Big Two' can consolize the performance of a current gen gaming PC, the Wii U will once again be the underpowered odd man out. First party NIntendo games will likely be polished gems, but most 3rd party games will be half assed ports. Again.

On the bright side, MS and Sony will probably try to sell their consoles for $500+, while Nintendo sells for $299. That will give Nintendo some time to gather an install base, at least for a year or two until MS and Sony start dropping prices.

How expensive is this thing going to be? Assuming it will launch at a price similar to XBox360 or PS3 launch prices, I don't see a lot of parents buying WiiU for their kids (and despite what fans say, that is a big portion of Nintendo's customer base). Also, what happens if little Billy spills his Pepsi on the tablet? Are Nintendo going to happily replace each controller every time this happens?

I figure it'll retail between $300 and $400 and Nintendo will be making a profit on each console sold since they're using old tech again.

They've got me interested and I like what I've seen so far.

Probably my biggest issues so far have been the lack of GameCube compatibility (I didn't doubt we'd lose GCN controller and memory card ports, but I had hoped we'd still be able to at least play GCN software) and the inability of this to even do basic things to improve the Wii experience on a HDTV (I didn't expect it to make games look like they're running on the Dolphin emulator on a $4000 PC, but I expected it to do more than just output them at 480p). I was really hoping this would make GCN/Wii software look more acceptable on an HD display so I'm disappointed in that regard.

Otherwise, they have me intrigued with the basic information we have so far and the possibilities it suggests. I don't even mind that this is roughly comparable to the 360/PS3 in horsepower. It will offer a significant boost over the current Wii and that's enough to keep me happy. Seeing Nintendo software in HD is all I wanted. That it perhaps is a bit underpowered compared to the eventual Xbox 720 and PS4 isn't of huge importance to me.

Edited by Atariboy

I believe they announced MSRP's for North America many months ago (Both the WiFi and 3G versions). We even have confirmed memory card prices right now and I think even a few game MSRP's.

Edit - I suppose you're talking about the WiiU. Forgot which thread I was in for a second. :)

Edited by Atariboy

The platform is close to the end of its life. Not much of a future to hurt.

I wonder what this means for other platforms such as the PSP if they're not going to bother developing a Wii version. Wouldn't surprise me to not see a PSP/PS2/3DS version of this franchise next year.

I'm mixed on it at the moment, although I am leaning towards pre-ordering it and paying it off bit-by-bit until it releases. There's a draw to owning a new system right when it's released, especially when it's going to be unique like the WiiU. Still, I need to know what games are going to be planned for it, and a pricing model before I make a final decision.