IGNORED

How hard is hacking a brand new PS3?

HatefulGravey

My brother-in-law just got a new PS3, it has the most recent software out for it right now. His wife wanted Mario for it... she doesn't know much about these things I guess. Anyway, they don't play anything online at all so it would be perfect to hack this thing up a bit to run emulators and such. I haven't bothered with console mods like this is a long time so I'm lost of where to start really and there is a lot of information out there that seems to lead to nothing.

Does anyone here have a good place for me to start? It all looks very easy. From what I can see they all take advantage of the USB ports on the machine meaning nothing has to be opened up or added to the machine really. I would like the simplest way possible as I'm not going to be maintaining this machine so I can't control how it is used. It would be nice if I could get them running PS1 games on it through emulators as well. I feel certain NES, SNES, Genesis... have all been done for sure but I can't be sure about PS1. They thought they would be able to play their old PS1 and PS2 games on it until they got it home so if I could get them running Final Fantasy again they would be very happy. I've never used a PS1 emulator before, I assume they have a handy way to handle disc swaps....

Anyway, thank you for your time, any information that helps me help them would be great. I might think about getting a used PS3 for this myself it all goes well.

He put PS1 games in the system and it said it couldn't play the disc type. I didn't see him do it so he may have been talking out of his ass (he is my brother-in-law after all) but he said he tried it and it didn't work... I'll have to look more into this. Thanks for the information so far.

• 4 weeks later...

The main point was to run "Mario" which is not a PS1 title. PS3 jailbreaking seems to involve buying a USB key that puts things into service mode. Once in service mode you can install a custom firmware that allows running PS3 homebrew such as a SNES emulator. Find a good PS3 SNES emulator. Copy your personal backup Super Mario World ROM onto your PS3.

Please note if it's your property and your personally dumped copy of Super Mario World and you mod it there are no problems. You may not be able to use the PSN network afterwards due to the terms of service and Sony killing your access. As a side note you may also be forced to upgrade your firmware back to the non-jailbroken version when you try to play a new game.

Edited by theloon

The main point was to run "Mario" which is not a PS1 title. PS3 jailbreaking seems to involve buying a USB key that puts things into service mode. Once in service mode you can install a custom firmware that allows running PS3 homebrew such as a SNES emulator. Find a good PS3 SNES emulator. Copy your personal backup Super Mario World ROM onto your PS3.

Please note if it's your property and your personally dumped copy of Super Mario World and you mod it there are no problems. You may not be able to use the PSN network afterwards due to the terms of service and Sony killing your access. As a side note you may also be forced to upgrade your firmware back to the non-jailbroken version when you try to play a new game.

This is true. However, he said brand new. I was unable to downgrade my phat ps3 from 4.00 to 3.55 custom firmware. Well... I was able to, however, nothing would run right. I had to take it back to 4.00 and wait for the new hack to come out.

• 2 weeks later...

The original versions of the PS3 play the PS1 and PS2 games, however since they came out with the "Slim" version they took out that backwards compability unless you use that custom firmware. I have a PS3 that was bought 2 weeks after they were released and I play PS1 and PS2 games on it all the time without issues. If you don't wanna use custom Firmware, you could always look for one of those original 20gb non-wireless PS3's or a 60gb original PS3 with wireless. Just a option for people to consider.

The original versions of the PS3 play the PS1 and PS2 games, however since they came out with the "Slim" version they took out that backwards compability unless you use that custom firmware. I have a PS3 that was bought 2 weeks after they were released and I play PS1 and PS2 games on it all the time without issues. If you don't wanna use custom Firmware, you could always look for one of those original 20gb non-wireless PS3's or a 60gb original PS3 with wireless. Just a option for people to consider.

Your post makes it sound like a slim PS3 won't play PS1 discs, which is not true.

My understanding was that it was removed with the new Slim PS3's. Got a couple friends who have the new slim version and I know they can't play their PS1 games. Could it be possible that some have that backwards compability and some don't? Because you are saying they do have that capability, now I am very curious on this.

No, it's unlikely that some PS3 units can play PS1 discs and some can't. It's more likely that your friends are mistaken.

The "backwards compatibility" that's mentioned in regard to the PS3 is for PS2 games. All PS3s play PS1 discs. That's been covered in this very topic.

Edited by Rex Dart
  • Like 2